Car Audio Basics

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
Yep thats where i ran mine as well, try and find the thinest stiffest wire you can get and make sure there are no edges on the end you are feeding through so it can't grab on anything. Then what i did with my brother was make a loop around the power cable on one end with the wire and then tape it so it cant slip out. I hope you've got patience or alot of skill because it took us a while to get it through.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
I ran 2 power cables inside the wheel arch. It means you will need to take off the wheel and liner, but there's plenty of room.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Thanks, yes i ended up running through the drivers wide wheel arch Couldn't find where the pax side entered the car?
Anyway, got power now. (y)

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hi all!
How do we feel about JBL speakers and amps?
I am looking to do a fairly quality set up a touch under the Focal/ Morel price ranges.
I have a JVC head unit already!

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Used to be really good, not sure about now

Tophler

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Alex
Drive
1999 VR4 FL Legnum w recaro and momo
Also just for a bit of trivia, altec Lansing is JBL

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Hey mate,
I am looking at $500ish - up to 1K is feasible!

I also thought about rockford fosgate punch series as the new mitsi's all have RF systems now and they are considerably smaller amps, so easier to find a place to tuck them away?

Also considering entry level MB Quart amps and speakers as they are quite big but reputable, good price and like RF can keep all the asme brand.

- In my Galant, I have a JVC double din screen unit KVX800 which has a Sub out and Mid speaker out as extras.
- Was thinking good splits for the front running off a 2 channel amp.
- I have Legnum rear door trims, so Coaxials there (lesser quality)
- Coaxials in the rear parcel tray (probably lesser quality type)
- 8 inch sub in the rear parcel tray also
- Run all the rear off a 5 channel amp.

Sort of care about the rear passengers experience. Obviously not as much as mine, but trying to improve the classy/ luxury appeal of my car. So want to fill all the holes/speaker mounting options i have in her and take advantage of all the EQ and Dolby options my JVC has to offer.

Let me know your thoughts Poita. Spend more, too many, shitty brands?

Cheers mate.
-Rob

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Hi Rob,

Firstly don't worry about staying with the same brand for everything, no one can see them and it really makes no difference at all.

What sort of music do you listen to?

I personally wouldn't bother with the surround sound etc as to be honest, when are you going to be watching DVDs while driving and the mid (rear doors) is behind your head, so all out of whack anyway. You are never going to get nice surround sound due to the speaker and seating positions in a car. Just enjoy front and rear with a sub if you can afford it.
I would just stick with front and rear running of a 4 channel amp, and then if budget allows, a sub with a monoblock amp. You can always add the sub and monoblock later.
OR you can buy a 5 channel amp and add the sub at a later date if funds are tight.

For the front splits $150-$200 will get something nice in a range of good brands (Morel, MB Quart, Hertz etc)

For the rears I would use the rear door position for the coaxials. Just my opinion but with the rear parcel shelf, as a passenger its annoying not being able to hear the people talking in the front as the speakers are right near my ears. I prefer the doors, but again just personal preference. $150ish would get some reasonable coaxials.

4 Channel amp ie one similar to what I just bought at 4x75Wrms ARC KS125.4 for a bit over $400. This is really small so is very easy to hide somewhere.
Response Precision do a 4x100W for $146, significant savings, not quite as good and larger footprint, but if money is tight not a bad option.

I haven't really heard any decent free air parcel shelf mounted subs, so just me, but I would steer clear. Either mount it in a box or cope without it. But a professional like Marty from FHRX Studios may have something different to say as he has had a lot more experience.

But if you go with something similar to what I have, that's just over $800 with no cabling yet. Allow another $150 for cabling, battery terminals, fuse/holder and a sound dampening pad behind each speaker. This is nothing mind blowing but all quality gear at a good price.

So with a budget of $500-1K I seriously think you would be really struggling to get 3 sets of speakers, 2 amps and all the required cabling etc. Possible but only if you bought really cheap stuff.

My advise... focus on the fronts and 4 channel amp. Then you can build the system up from there as money is available. Add some coaxials in the rear doors, and then get a monoblock and sub if you think you still need it.

Cheers
Pete

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
My whole system is alpine but I love alpine stuff coz I was running it in my last car and couldn't fault it. If you stick with good gear you won't have to worry about it failing on you and replacing it later on.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
+1 for Pete's suggestion of investing in good front splits and a decent 4ch amp!

You'll be able to get away with those two, some sound-deadening and some alright wiring for within your price range - any more and you'll be starting to skimp out out gear to pay for something else.

Can pick up some bargains occasionally at the MEA forums here - http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php/forum/41-car-audio-products/

Also as Pete said I dunno about mounting the sub in the parcel shelf...probably better off to bite the bullet and boot mount it. You can get some pretty good space-savers.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Focal do one that fits under your seat and is one of the better ones. Not super cheap though. I think it's active so has its own amp.

rbrtpalin

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Robert
Drive
VR-4 Galant 1996 Model
Cheers guys!
Appreciate all the advice and will let you know what i end up doing.
-Rob

GMan

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jet
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Sorry for the noob question, but I'm looking to install some Kenwood rear speakers in my Galant. I've found that the OEM rear speakers have a plastic connector which obviously doesn't fit the new speakers. Is this a cut and splice job or is there a harness/adaptor I can use? I'm just hooking these up to the head unit so thought I could use the existing cables -- no amps for these.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
It's very rare that the factory speakers have the same connector as aftermarket speakers.

Scrofl

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
01 VR-4 Galant
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying a 12" Kicker sub in the next couple weeks, and I'm thinking about getting a custom box done so that it fits in the right-hand corner of the boot (Galant).
Does anyone on here have one for sale? Or know of someone or someplace that does reputable custom work?
Cheers!

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Hey guys, I'm going to be buying a 12" Kicker sub in the next couple weeks, and I'm thinking about getting a custom box done so that it fits in the right-hand corner of the boot (Galant).
Does anyone on here have one for sale? Or know of someone or someplace that does reputable custom work?
Cheers!

Sorry Simon, missed this one. Marvey Tech does custom stuff, I had a bit of work done by him a few years ago and was quite pleased with the result. If not most dedicated car audio places should be able to do something. Tonkins in the city should be able to help.
http://marveytech.com.au/

Top Bottom