Car Audio Basics

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
either though the firewall under the washer motor, or through the passenger guard...

Kizzmond

Idling at the Lights
First Name
kieran
Drive
1998 vr4 legnum
thanks heaps mate will have another look on the weekend ... cheers

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
I found putting it thru the pass guard works better than going under the washer motor as it avoids leaks into the cabin if it's not sealed n u decide to wash the engine but depends on how clean u would like it. Have u found a place to mount ur amps..... keep us updated on how u go

leggei007

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeff Stewart
Drive
88 Astra turbo n 2012 Holden Cruze diesel hatch
I had a look at mine n I ran my alarm n gauges wires thru the guard n the power thru the large gromet under the washer motor then filled it with black silicon to stop the leaks n it looks neat n tidy

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I thought the washer motor was on the driver's side? Isn't it good practice to try and run the least possible amount of power wiring around in the engine bay? I'll be tackling my 4ch amp over the next day and hopefully I will use the passenger's side grommet to keep the power cable length as short as I can from the battery.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
No Tom its on the passenger side...

Said grommet:
DSC03253a.jpg

And its placement under the motor:
DSC03254a.jpg

I use it for my gauge sensors, and run the power through the guards.. There is no way that I would be able to fit 75mm welding cable through the above grommet... lol

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ahhh right! Thanks for the snaps I'll just aim for that badboy.

Also if you were interested I picked up a set of Kicker QS65.2's :)

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
No worries, I was sure I already had them, but just headed to the garage to get some more.. lol Its actually easier to move that ABS relay in the corner too, just unclip it. :)

They dont look too bad. :) Just get them installed right and you should be all good. :)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Mine runs into the passenger wheel arch between the inner guard and the bodywork and then in, works well and hardly any cable in the engine bay

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I just cannot seem to get the freaking wire to go through the grommet and into the foot well!!!

Spent about 45 minutes poking and shoving and looking and looking and trying different angles to no avail... I know Murph said it was a bitch to do but I feel like it's running into the back of the fan assembly thing that's down in there... Am I coming from the wrong angle or what? Why would removing the top clip off that relay be of any help Jeremy? I noticed there is another grommet under that relay - I haven't been trying for the entirely wrong one I hope. Given up for tonight :p

Edit - Steve can I ask how one gets between the inner and outer of the guard? As stated on some other occasions, I'm a spastic at this stuff!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Edit - Steve can I ask how one gets between the inner and outer of the guard? As stated on some other occasions, I'm a spastic at this stuff!

I'm not Steve but maybe I can help lol

It is easiest if you remove the wheel since you need to jack the car up anyway to make enough space to reach in under the guard. Find the screws/bolts holding the plastic guard liner in place. You can remove just enough of them to pull the liner down so that you can see the underside of the engine bay grommet and the "backside" of the corner of the footwell, or you can remove the whole plastic liner to get it out of the way.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ahhh thanks Derek. So the smaller grommet that is behind the ABS relay goes down near the guard? I felt around in there and noticed that there was something that went off in the direction of the foot well. I'll give it a go.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
I dunno about the grommets and holes near the passenger guard, because I ran my amp power through the drivers side. But probably similar.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yep similar on both sides

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Did you guys drill through the rear of the footwell to run the cable from the wheel arch? I've got the wheel off and it's through into the space between the lining and the body, but the only grommet that goes back into the cabin is an absolute pain in the dick to get anything through.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
On the drivers side, there is a grommet into the footwell which was pretty easy to push through.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Through the grommet. I think there is more room on the drivers side, I did a boost controller through there....

Top Bottom