Dodgy clock (and Replacing it with a trip computer)

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Another one fixed. Finally got round to mine - was dry solder joints as expected.

G

Unregistered
add another one to the pile of dodgy clocks!

G

Unregistered
Another clock fixed - just the contacts needed bending up a little on mine - no soldering required. Thanks for the guidance guys

Royal

Crunching Gears
First Name
BEN
Drive
Legnum
Thanz Joe, for the pic of the clock's underside ... it helps to know where to exert pressure as u know where those clips are!

G

Unregistered
mynes dogey as well give it a go tonight seriously how much harder do they wanna make it to find a way through the firewall (trying to run boost gauge) only option so far wheel off inner guard out :cool:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
When I first got my GDI back in 2003 it did this, I pulled the clock out and bent the pins and it was fine when I sold it in July 2005. I bought my Purple VR-4 in May 2005 and it wasn't working when I got it, bent the pins and it has been fine until TODAY. I was driving along and noticed only the 3: was showing. I smacked the top of the clock with my hand and the display changed to 02, I banged it again and it came up with 3:02. I looked at my cellphone, confirmed it was 3:02, and went back to breaking the speed limit :D

G

Unregistered
I banged it again and it came up with 3:02. I looked at my cellphone, confirmed it was 3:02, and went back to breaking the speed limit :D

ahah good one lol got it out in about 5 mins with the helpfull use of my chicken stick he he

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Add me to the clock not working list. Doesnt work all the time and when it does it seems to be a little slow. Looks like the same problem lol

W

w1k3d

Unregistered
+1 on the fixed dodgy clock... Followed the simple steps in this thread. Removed the clock; re-soldiered the dry contacts (power connector) and whoa its working like a charm now; nice and bright again also. Thanks heaps guys for the "know how" and tips.

G

Unregistered
had same problem with clock turning on and off continuously lol

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Busted the top right of my clock and still dont have the thing out. Will have to try it again tomorrow, dont suppose anyone knows where i can get a new front for the clock, could probably glue it back together but thought if it didnt cost too much I would just replace it.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
I did the same but it's not noticeable still haven't gotten it out though, I'm guessing you'd have to get it from Mitsubishi though and I'm also guessing it would cost :(

wraith73

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Steve
Drive
Mitsubishi Colt, Patrol, Pulsar Q
My clock was the same. I took it apart using the good ol' "trial & error" method (before I'd even found this site). Luckily all went well... nothing broke & dry joint easily spotted & fixed (skill and/or luck??).

Who did they hire to solder these clocks up? Seems like almost everyone has had same problem.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I swear, it feels like im going to break everything trying to get it out.

illuzian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ant
Drive
98 F/L Legnum VR4
Yeah same, its scares the crap out of me every time I try to remove the clock, I seriously wish we had an alternative to the oranment remover and instructions on how to remove the clock with it lol.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
These wouldn't have been soldered by hand, they'll be surface mounted components and they stick them in an oven which melts the solder to the parts. They obviously either didn't use enough solder on the contact pins on didn't leave them in the oven for long enough - given every single board would have been made in exactly the same way (down to the nearest microsecond) every single one will have this identical problem.

Top Bottom