Engine Oils - Whats Good/Whats Bad

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I have always used shell ultra 5w30 and haven't had any dramas with it, I run the fully synthetic shell oil in my bike too. I've been told that shell start off with a better base oil before they start adding all their additives to make it the grade it is where as some other brand use far more additives to get it to the same level. Well, that and the fact that they make the jet turbine oil we use at work so I figure if they can make oil that's good enough for jet engines then I'm sure the stuff they make for cars must be decent too :)

formanth

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Anthony
Drive
2001 Legnum
True that is, Craig. Better oils start off with better base oils. That info is proprietary, so the companies won't reveal it though.

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
For you oil geeks out there hope that you appreciate these links to machinery lubrication and lube tips. It is predominantly to do with industrial applications such as gear oils, hydraulic oils and greases but there is plenty of information on motor oils as well. Plenty of oil analysis tips, solutions and scientific data on lubrication. But I will say being in the engineering trade I have always been taught to put in what the manufacturer specifies and stick to that, the manufacturer is the one who has done all the design research and testing. Having said that if you are going to try something else you need to make a well informed decision.
On another note a quick check to see if the oil has sheared and has lost its lubricity is the surface tension test. Drop some oil from your dipstick into a glass of water, if it is a bead the oil is still in good condition. If the oil disperses it needs to be changed.
http://www.machinerylubrication.com/
http://www.lube-tips.com/

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
Any ideas on what I should be using since my car has high kms? The guy I bought it off said not to use synthetic oils.

Unco_Tomato

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt
Drive
1996 White Manual Legnum w/ FL Kit
How high are the K's? I'd be using 5W-30 if it's still under 100,000. If it's well over i'd make the jump to 0W-40 for (on paper) better protection with cold starts and higher heat use (assuming your Rad isn't as efficient as it once was).

Mine is now 170,000K's+ and I'm using 0W-40 fully synthetic.
My previous leggy was still under 70,000 when it was crashed into (owned it for 20,000K's and 18 months) and I used 5W-30 without any dramas.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
I would be cautious in using a really thin oil unless you absolutely need to. 5W is rated for -25 degrees, so unless you are in winter in Canada you don't need 0W. There is a lot of hype and myths about oils, but many people here use 5W / 10W with absolutely no problems. 0W is too thin IMO given our climate.

You also have the flip side of older engine, larger clearances due to wear, so using a thin oil could potentially result in burnt oil.

uzz320

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Martin
Drive
99 Legnum
0w does not affect how thin the oil is at operating temp, do some google searching about how oil viscosity ratings work
Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Board Express

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
SAE grade oils have a maximum viscosity specified at low temps, to ensure easy starting, and a minimum viscosity requirement at 100deg to ensure satisfactory lubrication at the final operating temp.

To achieve this they are formulated with viscosity index improvers to provide multi grade performance. VI improvers are large molecules which are chemically linked together by smaller molecules using polymerisation. The resulting products may have molecular weights 1000x that of the base stock. The use of these polymers make it possible to meet both low temp viscosity requirements and operating temp requirements. The below chart illustrates this quite well.

graph_3_viscosity_multigrade.jpg

And in terms of SAE grades they are a bit of a joke anyway, see how big the 20 grade is on the chart below. That is a massive range when compared to the ISO grades used in industry. And 0/5 are have the same range lol.

viscosity_table_2.gif

David-777

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
David
Drive
1998 VR4 Manual
So can I get a few answers on what you guys would use if in my position. This will be my first change so I will go with the most popular answer.

(First turbo car)

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
I would use a 0w40 purely for the higher viscosity at operating temp which will enhance protection of your ageing engine. You're not likely to find a 5w40 or 10w40 but these would probably be more suited to our climate, even in winter.

Having said that a 5w30 will probably have negligible difference. Those are your options though basically, a 0w40 or a 5w30 synthetic. Everyone will have their opinion on which will work but the choice is yours.

BFun

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
'99 Legnum VR-4 Type-S
I've used 5w30 and Meek has put 5w30 in my car (77,000km).I talked to TME Steve the other week and he recommended 0w40, so I'll give that a go next change.

Lucadou

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Cam
Drive
97 White Regnamu
Even cheaper at repco, $45. Plus 30% off if you're racq/v/etc member this weekend. edit: sorry that was wrong, still is $45

BCX

Administrator
First Name
Bill
Drive
2000 Galant Type-V
1997 MK Triton GLS [6G74 conversion]
2019 i30 N-Line
I only have ever put nulon fluids in... Coolant, brake fluid, etc.

Have found 5w-30 is best weight given our climate here.

Top Bottom