Engine Oils - Whats Good/Whats Bad

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
For anyone in SA that wants to try Amsoil you can get 5lt of the ATM 10w30 for $67.20 from:

Bruce and Kath Pavier
PO Box 1278
Mylor, SA, 5153

PH: (08) 8388 5294
FAX: (08) 8388 5294
Email: amsoildist@yahoo.com.au

Here is other locations for other states
http://www.a1oils.com.au/dealers.php

They also have Oil Filters but he's not sure as they only have the 3.0lt and 2.4lt listed not the 2.5lt.

Anyway I think that $67.20 isn't too bad for apparently one of the better oils around even if I have to meet the guy outside The Royal Adelaide Hospital Car Park at 2:30pm tomorrow to get the Oil :)

Also he can do 10lt of the Auto Trans Fluid but it's $150! Compared to Mitsu SP3 for $70 I can't justify that.

G

Unregistered
had castrol edge in my car,
made the engine noisey....
changed to magnatec, seams better,

going to try Royal Purple 10/40 at my next change, due in the next couple of thru km.

G

Unregistered
I just changed my oil on the weekend, put some nulon 10w in ti, it is for late model multi valve turbo car, and it stopped my tappets from being noisey

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Jason, what's the viscosity of it when hot? i've been using 10w30 full synth, and i hear a faint sound of ticking.. im not worried or anything as it goes away after 10 seconds or so..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
viscosity should work better.. but not sure about the brand if our engine likes it..

G

Unregistered
castrol edge is poo IMO,
noisey motor, and my car drank 1l of it over 5thou km,
hasnt done that with any other oil ive used

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
can we make a list of oil brands that are recommended and not so recommended?

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Im using Penrite Fully Synthetic 10W70.

Seems to really like it, smooth and no noises!.

Cheers,
brent

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
damn 70?! isn't that a bit too thick for the engine? no doubt noises will go away but wouldn't that also shorten the lifespan of the engine?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Not necessarily, but you're right I WOULD be a little concerned if the engine's designed for something thinner. Best way to tell would be to dyno it using each, in the same atmospheric conditions and at the same engine temp. If its making less power with the thicker oil stop using it, 'cause its not lubricating enough. If it performs pretty much exactly the same it's within the operating tollerance of the engine and should be fine.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
hhmm i thought that it would be ok if the engine was worn out (eg. engine eating oil, valve lifters ticking and etc) but using it on a nearly new engine?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
10w70 does seem a bit high! I think that the best 3 ratings for most people would be 0w30, 5w30 or 5w40, unless you live in Darwin or something :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
hhmm i thought that it would be ok if the engine was worn out (eg. engine eating oil, valve lifters ticking and etc) but using it on a nearly new engine?
Usually, or as Brad mentioned if its operating in a consistently hot climate. However those two numbers don't tell the WHOLE story, an oil like that COULD be ok. I just wouldn't assume it is and would definitely want some numbers before I was happy to use it long-term. If you're sticking it in as an emergency replacement and not hammering the car it will be fine, of course.

kiwibstokes

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bryan
Drive
2000 Legnum Type-S
I have castrol edge in mine at the moment and i don't think much of it, engine makes a bit of tapping noise most of the time during the first 10mins and then now and again while driving, considering magnetic next time pretty sure it 10w40

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
Hey guys,

the 10w70 was recommended to me by a mechanic up this way as it is generally pretty warm in qld, the oil is not that thick in fluid form its seems very thin compared to others, the car has not ran better since its had the oil in it, much smoother, cold starts are heaps better also. It seems to have more response as well.

ATM im going to trial a few different types, the next change will try a 10w50.

But so far I am really happy with this oil, its a full syn as well.

cheers,
brent

G

Unregistered
I'm thinking of trying Martini Racing oil, but which one, all are fully synthetic.

10w40
0w40
5w50
10w60

Top Bottom