Engine Oils - Whats Good/Whats Bad

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Try the 10w40, you don't need to go to 0w in Australia... unless you live in the Blue Mountains?

G

Unregistered
Well, I'm at the bottom of the Blue Mountains I guess not in them but it other month it did get to like -5 on the way to work. Maybe use a summer oil and winter oil?

Also after looking on the net for Comparative Motor Oil Testing it looks like AMSOIL come out on top over lots of others.

Anyone used AMSOIL before?

mallen

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 Type S
I just bought 5lt of...
atm_qt_300pxh.jpg
100% Synthetic 10W-30 Motor Oil (ATM)

For $67.20, I haven't put it in yet cos I'm slack and have been busy but it'll go in soon... But i can't find anywhere on the WWW that has a bad word to say about this product...

G

Unregistered
Below is a list of Amsoil dealers in Australia.

VIC, TAS, NSW, ACT: A1 OILS – Australia
Peter Crossing
Po Box 7007
Broken Hill, NSW, 2880
PH: (08) 8087 7890
FAX: (08) 8088 7518
MOB: 0427 269 645
WEB:www.a1oils.com.au
Email: info@a1oils.com.au

WA: Dean (Doc) Harrison
Synthetic Lubricants WA
188 Maddington Road
Maddington, WA, 6109
PH: (08) 9459 8603
FAX: (08) 9493 3184
MOB: 0408 903 218
Email: synthetic_lubricants@bigpond.com.au

QLD: Ross Lawson
Alpha Lubrication
PO Box 479
Maroochydore, QLD, 4558
PH: (07) 5448 5953
FAX: (07) 5448 5943
MOB: 0427 624 494
Email: amsoilq@bordernet.com.au

SA, NT, TAS: Bruce and Kath Pavier
PO Box 1278
Mylor, SA, 5153
PH: (08) 8388 5294
FAX: (08) 8388 5294
Email: amsoildist@yahoo.com.au

G

Unregistered
I gave my car it's first engine flush since getting it in country. I put some engine flush crap in it, ran for 10 minutes, drained and done half/half diesel with new filter for 20 minutes, drained, put fresh oil and ran for another 15 minutes, drained (and there was still a fair bit of black shit coming out too, I was surprised).

Filled with Royal Purple 5W-30 and changed filter again. Haven't had any problems yet, it's only early days.

Something I noticed was that when I was doing the flushes once in a while I would hear a loud TICK noise. So it'd idle then go TICK... idle fine, TICK. It wasn't a tick tick tick all in a row, just the odd one. Maybe it was all the shit in the engine loosening up and causing a lifter to not run as smooth? Dunno, but haven't heard any such noise with the Royal Purple in it so I'm not bothered.

Because this is my first change I'll be doing it in another 2,500km, then I'll be on 90,000km and it'll be easy to remember when to do my oil at 95,000km :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds like you're onto it Connor, the ticking should go away after a few minutes, it always starts when you first do an oil change though.

G

Unregistered
maybe someone should start an engine flush thread.
The proper way to do it. I have always just used the engine flush additive, let it idle, drain it with clean oil a little bit and then fill it up.

Half/Half diesel flush, thats new to me, might try in in another car first.
Any other good methods?

G

Unregistered
WA guys might like to know a local source of synthetic oil.
Gulf Oil 1, fully synthetic 10 W 60 SL/CF is available at a reasonable price from Frank at Leader Lubricants, 1/11 Oxleigh Drive Malaga. He is a wholesaler so it is a good idea to ask for 20 liters.(Cash is good)
I use it in my Mazda RX8 aeroplane engine that is run at full throttle for extended periods. In the Leggy there is no ticking on startup.

G

Unregistered
Done another change the other weekend and went with Royal Purple 10W-40 this time, I kind of went the thinner oil for a little bit to start with (bad timing weahter wise I know) to see if any extra crap came out, and it was still pretty dark when it came out. Not to matter!

In case people haven't seen, I'm getting the Royal Purple from Autobarn because they stock it now, along with the Motul oil that other members use. Looks like they're not just Shell/Caltex/Valvoline/Penrite dealers any more. I don't think I've seen the same lineup at AutoPro which is a shame, I much prefer the service and knowledge at AutoPro, they sound like they've actually lifted a bonnet on a car before!

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
The other day I saw some photos of a van that'd done 380,000kms without an oil change. Oil came out of it still looking like dark honey, and internal components looked like they'd done 10,000kms not 300k. Car had a 1µ (micron) bypass filter fitted and was running Amsoil. Something I'm now SERIOUSLY considering!

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
My 2 cents;
I've run 10-60 in my turbo engine cars for years, as a few people have already touched in here in QLD it does get hot and humid- i was recommended this by engine builders and race teams. My race engine (500hp RB25)has only seen 10-60 after initial run-in

That said, i've just changed to Royal Purple 10-40 to "give it a try" in my race engine.

For you people in WA, Perth, that want Royal Purple ring Glen "Lumpy" Campbell 0418 822 444. He runs www.slide-fx.com drift team and is the WA distibutor. And before you go i got it cheap and am only trying to plug his business, i paid full price and get mine shipped up from Sydney from Hi Octane racing:ROFLMAO:

NickTee

Crunching Gears
First Name
Nick
Drive
dirty silvia
I just picked up 5 litres of royal purple 10-40 for $65 from 'The Propellor Warehouse" as they supply and service volvo boat motors and volvo only allow them to use marine royal purple to maintain warranty.They stock the automotive stuff as well.

The local Autobarn had it for $79 bucks

Outlanded

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Brent
Drive
97 Legnum VR-4
I just picked up 5 litres of royal purple 10-40 for $65 from 'The Propellor Warehouse" as they supply and service volvo boat motors and volvo only allow them to use marine royal purple to maintain warranty.They stock the automotive stuff as well.

The local Autobarn had it for $79 bucks

Nick,

thats good to know, where is the propellor warehouse? Id be keen to use it next time round.

we must catch up one day.

cheers,
brent

G

Unregistered
I wanted to try Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 but none of the stores that i have rang over here even have it on the books only Pennzoils mineral range. Has anyone tried Pennzoil oils before wouldnt mind some opinions on it, good or bad. I have been using Castrol Edge 5W-30 and not happy with how it performs car is very ticky on start up.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Ryan, have you only changed the oil once? I had Castrol Edge 5w30 in my ST-R for some time and it was very good, no ticking at all. I'd say that regardless of what you change it to this time, even Edge again, the ticking will diminish drastically.

G

Unregistered
My 2 cents;
I've run 10-60 in my turbo engine cars for years, as a few people have already touched in here in QLD it does get hot and humid- i was recommended this by engine builders and race teams. My race engine (500hp RB25)has only seen 10-60 after initial run-in

That said, i've just changed to Royal Purple 10-40 to "give it a try" in my race engine.

For you people in WA, Perth, that want Royal Purple ring Glen "Lumpy" Campbell 0418 822 444. He runs www.slide-fx.com drift team and is the WA distibutor. And before you go i got it cheap and am only trying to plug his business, i paid full price and get mine shipped up from Sydney from Hi Octane racing:ROFLMAO:

Is Lumpy still around? he used to be at hyperdrive, but i thought he buggered off up to the mines or something.

Top Bottom