Engine Oils - Whats Good/Whats Bad

Taraska

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Taraska
Drive
Black VR-4!!!!!!
Thanks guys. Tomorrow back to Autobarn.

DUDE! as Brad said, don't even consider what those part time Dominos drivers say at Autobarn. Your best source of advice is right here or CVR4. Mate, just pick up a bottle of GW. $45 at Autobarn for the M5000 and it will do the job perfectly.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
before too long I'll have stock of Gulf Western Sougi M5000. 10W40 premium synth developed for high performance jap crap, specifically turbo. It's going in my car this week ;)

I can't find any 10W40. Only the GW 20W stuff.. :(
I havn't checked Autobarn yet however. Hopefully they stock it.

I need something cheap to get me through to my Amsoil delivery.

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
umm, I wouldn't say the GW Sougi stuff is 'cheap' oil. I'm using it instead of Amsoil. Autobarn are fairly large stockists of it so you shouldn't have any trouble. Both the oils in the Sougi range (M5000 and S6000) are 10W40 so your only choice will be how much you want to spend. I need to correct my previous post too, the M5000 is actually a bit over $50 I think (it was $45 for me on my trade account). I've got a feeling the S6000 is about $70 or a bit more.

G

Unregistered
I would go with what Trav said. The Gulf Western sougi m5000 is the best value for money and is a perfect replacement for amsoil. If money is tight try GW protecta gold? not sure about the name but it is some thing about gold.(been a while since i worked for a GW agent). There are is a cheeper semi synth as well but not sure of its name something like premium energy? You cant beat Aussie quality!!!!!!!!!!

G

Unregistered
ive been lucky my car its done over 125,000km's and doesnt seem to make any of the top end engine noise that most of you guys seem to be talking about.

i am using Valvoline Durablend, and it seems great, that review (although not tested exactly how it should be) said that it was a good oil its a 5w40 i think but seems to be doing the job well plus its only $40 a 5ltr

Valvoline 5w40 is a well known oil here in Sweden when yo want quiet engines, very often used in BMW to quite them down with their hydralic lifter tick problem.

Had Valvoline 5w40 in my BMW work great and the engine was not noisy.,.

Sydo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andy
Drive
Me Crazy
1. Valvoline Durablend 10w40 semi-synth.
Rubbish. Engine sounded rough from day one, oil turned to poo after less than 3000kms. Not recommended.

2. Gulf Western 10w30 semi-synth.
Cheap, and surprisingly good for the price. Wont last too long however. I changed mine after 4000kms.

3. Nulon Synthetic 10w40
Excellent value! Cheapest of all synthetics by a long margin, and is my current oil of choice. Lifter noise only returned after 6000kms when cold.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
There is loads of info on oils here but i was wondering what are good oil filters to use. I use to just use ryco ones with my old car but think i should probably try sumin better now. Anybody got any advice, ie. what to use, where to get it.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Still using Motul excess 5w30 ful synth since last service and car has been running great. Tappet noise is nearly gone as well so thats a plus. Wasn't cheap but great results.

G

Unregistered
motul excess is a 5w40 and is 100% syn :p there is a difference

but thats what i am using in my legnum also and also got no lifter noise what soever
and motor has done 132,xxx

glad your happy with it

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
There is loads of info on oils here but i was wondering what are good oil filters to use. I use to just use ryco ones with my old car but think i should probably try sumin better now. Anybody got any advice, ie. what to use, where to get it.

*BUMP*

I am keen also to know the difference between say a Amsoil filter or a Ryco Z145A etc.
Will using a $30 filter for say 5000k be more beneficial than using a $10 one?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
godzilla, quick answer.. amsoil does it better.. and mind if i ask why you're asking about z145a? from memory that's for a nissan pulsar with GA16 engine..

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
I use to also use it on my CA18DET. I am sure i have seen it listed as the aftermarket equiv?
*Edit*
Sorry my mistake, you are right its a z142a oops....

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
I see all these brands of oil recommended, but no mention of Redline oils.

Did a oil change on the leggie (1st since I got it).

Flush & drain - refill with 10w40, new filter

Flush & drain again - refill with 10w40, new filter

Last drain, new filter

Refill with Redline 10w40

No lifter noise. Nil. Nada.
Engine so smooth, you wonder if its running!

Very happy.

Not cheap though (approx $140 per US Gallon)

Brief Note (re lifter noise): Lifters need to be "pumped up" when the engine starts. When they are "deflated" after standing the gap between the lifter and the rocker increases, and this is the clatter on start up. What most people seem to do is then go for a lighter oil (0W or 5W) so it is "pumped up" easier. The problem with the lifters is usually not the volume of oil being pumped into them, but that the pressure is not enough to pump the lifters up. As an engine wears, so does the oil pump. The solution is to go toward a slightly thicker oil (10w - 15w, depending on k's etc), as this makes up for the increased gaps in the oil pump, and so improves start-up oil pressure. bye bye lifter noise

Hope that makes sense.

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
The crud that came out after the first flush was incredible (oil change on compliance - yeah, right). After 10 minutes the 2nd lot of oil was black, so I repeated.

I'd rather get it right first time.

and I run an oil store, so it cost me ........ time.

G

Unregistered
The problem with Redline is, as you pointed out, pretty expensive and also not readily available as other options. Will be interested to see how you go though, haven't heard anyone else using Redline Engine Oil in their VR4.

Top Bottom