twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
The problem with Redline is, as you pointed out, pretty expensive and also not readily available as other options. Will be interested to see how you go though, haven't heard anyone else using Redline Engine Oil in their VR4.

I would have to say that redline is easier to get hold of than amsoil. Redline is stocked by Sprints, Motor traders and a few places online (in Aus www.performancelub.com) that are a bit cheaper

Sloth

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mike
Drive
Galant VR4, Legnum VR4
as mentioned above, I run an oil store. I stock Redline gear & engine oils. (and Castrol, Pennzoil, Penrite, Elf, Fuchs, Motul, Mobil, etc)

Cheltenham Oil World.

Discount for OzVR4 members

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
is the z142a the filter we need to use? cos i used a z56b last time which was huge :S

jaygore

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie
Drive
1998 Series 2 Pearl White Legnum
ok cool, cos my shroud broke off the ther day and cos my car is really low, im scared that the z56b may puncture :S

thanks christian

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
from memory z142a and z56b have got the same height.. if you're worried about the filter hitting the ground or speed humps.. use z411 (I think) but if you're gonna use this size. I suggest you use the Amsoil filter, I think the ryco version is suited only for the N/A...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Ok, I'll be moving up to Darwin later on this year so whats the best oil to go for, for that temperature and climate?

what W what

also is the amsoil that much better than anything you can get at your local auto store? How much more expensive is it over everything else? Best oil filter to go for?

I think we may need a summary of all the info contained in these threads.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hahaha, thats what got me onto all these threads on engine oil. Nice write up by the way. Any ideas on the oil best for Darwin?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Hahaha, thats what got me onto all these threads on engine oil. Nice write up by the way. Any ideas on the oil best for Darwin?

Whats wrong with engine spec full synthetic 5W30? The heat up there will really only effect the start up weight of the oil.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Ok so it doesn't need to be thicker? So when the engine heats up the oil on top of the ambient temp it wont be to viscous?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
The engine runs a thermostat and thermo fans, if your cooling system is up to scratch, the engine temp will stay a regular 90-95 degrees
PM Dr_Josh001 and ask him what he runs.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Yeah, I thought as much, just wanted to make sure before I spent heaps on some oil to find its not good enough. So the general consensis is go for 5w30 then? amsoil worth it or just get something from autobahn?

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
Just used Valvoline 5-40 Full Synthetic. On sale at supercheap was $40. Spot on, no ticking or anyother noises... Got a good wrap too...

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
Yeah, I thought as much, just wanted to make sure before I spent heaps on some oil to find its not good enough. So the general consensis is go for 5w30 then? amsoil worth it or just get something from autobahn?

Amsoil is very, very good but expensive. How much do you want to spend? That will make your mind up. Any name brand fully synthetic oil in a weight no more than 40 will be fine.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
How much do you want to spend?

Dont really know but probably not as much as amsoil costs. How much is it for 5L anyway?

Any name brand fully synthetic oil in a weight no more than 40 will be fine.

Ill have to have a little look around to work out whats good at a good price.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Ive heard Mobil 1 is up there in quality obviously not as good as amsoil but up there, what are your thoughts?

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
I think Mobil 1 is overrated and expensive, there are equally good oils at far less a rate. Having said that, any fully synthetic oil is better than a mineral blend.

Top Bottom