Fuel Consumption Figures - how to empty your 60L tank in style

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You want to get something like an Apexi S-AFC to remove the fuel from the map.

The boost comes up all the time in normal driving, but along the motorway at a steady speed the car shouldn't be boosting at all.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
On Monday had a phone call from Neil Lowe Motorsport re the over fueling problem. He'd been after someone who could help with the possible remapping of the ECU and the news wasn't good. Unfortunatly they couldn't help.
If your in the Brisbane and your having problems with your transmission these are the guys to go to. Neil took one look at the leak coming from the transfer case and said that one of the 2 seals, the smaller of the two, was missing. I gave this info to the bloke doing the job under warranty he replaced the seals and so far the leak hasn't come back.

I called APC at springwood and told the guy there that my Legnum was running rich. He said he knew the car and motor and pointed out the possiblity that the silicon intercooler hoses could have a crack in it somewhere letting out the press.ure I've since found out that the factory BOV can leak and reduce pressure. Both will cause the fuel mixtures to stuff up. So next step is over to APC to get some pressure testing done and if the either the BOV or the hoses are the problem get them replaced. Otherwise it'll be time for a intercepter module.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The bov will leak, but only by a very small amount. They always run rich though, even if there aren't any leaks at all.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Can't hurt to get the system pressure tested. And it certainly can't hurt to replace those silicon hoses.

Understand that they run rich, but how rich is to rich?

hawks

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mark
Drive
Sold my 1998 Legnum VR4 Type S
It might be a cheaper option to get an exhaust place to re-make the silicon hoses with mandrel bent steel pipes ?

I am not sure what the silicon hoses are worth, but I would look into getting the hard pipes made.

G

Unregistered
Talk about guzzling ... My first tank did about 248kms on 50litres of fuel ... Maybe my ECU is a slow learner... It will be interesting to see whether the car adjusts over the next few tanks ... Otherwise I'll be getting a Apexi Neo, or S-AFCII

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
Agreed - you'll need a good tank full of 98 octane before you start seeing real figures.

Nobody seems to have mentionned they are using the 100 plus octane V Power Racing. I've been using it on my VR4 since early last year and I'm sure it's giving better power and torque and fuel cut occurs at higher boost now.

G

Unregistered
Maybe you need to stay off boost more ;)

Ur joking right ? ... hahahaha
Nah but seriously I had a S14 before running 18psi with sard 550cc injectors with 300+hp atw's that I would have thought would chew heaps more fuel ? ... I really hope it improves ...

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
It's more a matter of availability.
I'll be using the best fuel available in my area - and that will be BP Ultimate. :(

It's often said that the standard ECU has a 100 octane map as this petrol is widely available in Japan and hence using 100 octane would be beneficial. Also the 5% ethanol helps cool the cylinders. Yeah, I have to usually go a little out of my way here in Sydney to fill up on V Power Racing but I think it's worth the effort. It's about $1.54 a litre at the moment.

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Talk about guzzling ... My first tank did about 248kms on 50litres of fuel ... Maybe my ECU is a slow learner... It will be interesting to see whether the car adjusts over the next few tanks ... Otherwise I'll be getting a Apexi Neo, or S-AFCII

Mine wasn't that bad but still more than I expected. Big problem is finding a workshop which will install and tune the Apexi interceptors. Anyone have any suggestions for the Brisbane area.

Rasi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mike
Drive
2001 Nissan Elgrand - Previously the "best" factory optioned 2000 Legnum (manual, suade recaros)hehe
Installing the SAFC isn't hard. You just need the wiring diagram for the car and a translated diagram of the SAFC (or whatever you have bought). Once you have that info, then it is a matter of locating the wires and splicing the interceptor wires onto them.

I did my skyline myself and will probably transfer it over to the Legnum, and a big genuine sorry to the person who buys the skyline it will be running rich (probably very rich). But the legnum will be happy.

As for tuning an SAFC... I had best results with Brisbane Dynotuning and turbo charging at the Gabba, or with Gavin Woods (skyline expert) down the coast. I am not sure if their dynos are 4wd tho. The worst experience I had was with APC (I don't think they road tested after doing the dyno tune as the car would ping under full boost).

G

Unregistered
Hey I just got 320km out of a tank when i used to get 380-400, I have just put a APexi pod on it, I read somewhere on here that the wrong air filters can cause to run rich, is the pod likely to be the problem here?

G

Unregistered
apparently the stock intake is really good ... but someone like brad or gly could prolly better answer this ...

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Yeah the stock intake is quite good, and pod's are bad because they suck in very very hot air from the engine bay. They are not a good idea at all! They also don't keep the 'shape' of the air in the correct format for the MAF sensor and the ecu hates running with them and richens up everything.

Vormund - boost will build below 2000rpm in 5th gear. Basically the turbos are very very small and come on boost immediately. Lag is not something you need to worry about.

Rasi - the Apexi manual has a wiring diagram for our cars under EC5W, and it is 100% accurate. You can also download the manual from the apexi website. I think it is about 4 or 5 wires and thats it!

Paul - reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery ground and leave it, then fill up with 98 or better and see what happens.

G

Unregistered
The stock intake looks remarkably like the local Magnas. Except some bright engineer at MMAL put a rubber strip across the front of the bonnet lip, making the CAI effectively suck against a piece of rubber (in addition tothe rubber strip that goes up and over the CAI). Do the VR4's have this as well, or do they just have the single rubber strip going over the CAI so it can still get to the atmosphere?

The MAF doesn't like turbulent air and putting a pod on can really screw things up....really...screw things up, to the point that the engine will splutter and cough. K&N though do make Pods for the 3000GT (with MAF) which went onto the Magnas, and probably would fit the Galants. They're not round, they're an oval shape which is meant for the MAF to do its job.

A pod on my magna (with fully enclosed podbox CAI piping) resulted in 10% economy increase, but a big loss in mid range torque. It did however really love to rev a lot more.

By all means add a pod to get better fuel efficiency, but it could result in serious lean mixture action.

G

Unregistered
I think you need to get a few tank full's through first before you know what it is like for sure, i got 350km out of mine on the weekend, and had about 10l still in the tank when i went to fill up, trust me the fuel usage does get better

Top Bottom