Got an idea for custom fabricating air boxes/ heat sheilds etc

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Hey guys,

Ive got access to a fair amount of some rather interesting commercial cladding material, called aluminum composite panel, aka "alucobond" or "mitsubishi alpolic". it's a sheet of PPE sandwiched between two very thin (0.5mm or smaller) layers of aluminium, with a typical total thickness between 3 to 5 mm.

I figure it could potentially be useful for things such as fabricating air boxes, sheilds for pod filters, vanes or fins to direct airflow towards certain areas of the engine bay etc.

It is very lightweight, extremely rigid, easy to cut(circular saw is best, but a hacksaw will motor through it), can be folded/glued/drilled/routed/hole-sawed/riveted/sanded to make whatever. It can also withstand extremely high velocity impacts... (yes, i do mean it's bulletproof, just dont ask me how i know)

If anyone is interested in experimenting with this stuff, let me know. Can get my hands on a fair amount of the stuff, as a mate supplys the stuff a/w/a installs. Sheet sizes are usually between 1200 to 1500mm wide, with varying length. I can also get an amount of aluminium angle, "z" profile and "top hat" profile that could be used for making various brackets and mountings.

Edit: Small sizes should have no problem being sent interstate, but if you were after a full width sheet (1200 or 1500mm) it could be a problem, larger sheets are more susceptible to damage in transit, and postage costs could be an issue.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Any idea on price Alex? I'm sure we could organise a weekend workshop/garage working-bee?

(I've been itching to use that in a sentence for years!)

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
my mate imports this for around about $55 per square meter(i believe), but i doubt we'd be paying that much for it, as what he has available is excess from a cladding job in the city. He also has some rather fancy tools purpose-built for working with this stuff, and a factory just off westall rd that he MIGHT let us use. not sure on pricing for the aluminium extrusions though, should anyone find use for it, but i know he has shedloads he's not using.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Alex, are you able to post them to QLD? I might be interested in these... might need it in sizes of 600x600mm x4 pieces...

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
Just spoke to my mate, he some offcuts around 400x1500 or thereabouts which he is willing to provide free of charge, i can then trim those down to a more postable size. However if you absolutely must have them at 600x600 size he will have to charge, because he will have to cut up a full 1500x2000 sheet to get that actual size.

Shouldn't see a problem sending this stuff interstate as long as the required sizes arent too big....

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
ill take a slab,just to check it out,as i want to make a custom air box,and i am very good with wood so i gather i can use my skills with this.

any chance of sending one to 4563 qld

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
sure. What size do you require? As i said, he's offering some offcuts of material for no charge but if you're after a specific size (eg 600x600) that requires him to cut up a full-sized sheet, then he will have to charge.

weeaazz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
james
Drive
legnum
im not after any size,would just like to check it out,see what i could do with it,then if i require more ill get in contact,but im good with wood so if i could make a box or similar out of this stuff would be awesome.

smitty

First Name
Alex
Drive
alrite sweet. I've got a bit of experience working with thus stuff so i can lend any advice you might need. see if i can draw some pretty pictures and diagrams and whatnot if you'd like.

He's just left for Beechworth for the easter break, i'll be grabbing the panel off him this coming wednesday so it (should) be posted by the weekend.

Top Bottom