Help me please - I'm stranded!

G

Unregistered
Will the box comming from NZ just bolt straight up? If so I'd suggest forget about the munched box that is in there, get this thing across the Tasman, rebuilt/strengthen it then put it in the car.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
AFAIA, the Series 1&2 boxes are internally identical (Brad or Dawso to confirm) . I would, considering you have gone this far with the inspection, rebuild what you have. You are going to spend a grand getting Brad's here, then another grand on the install (unless you do it yourself) PM Madhav for the details on the company he used in the states to source his rebuild stuff.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
The boxes are identical and the internals are almost exactly the same as a verada gearbox (F5A51). 99% parts compatibility between the verada's and ours..... Series 1 and 2 are EXACTLY the same and the Evo GTA gearboxes are the same as well

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
All W5A51's (ours, pfl and fl and evo gta's) are identical internally. Most of the F5A51 (magna) is the same, but the diff and output area will of course be quite different. Remember that our front diff is actually in the transfer case!

My gearbox is out of a 2001 half cut, so it will fit straight in and bolt up perfectly. I have got your PM by the way, I'll find out how much it is to freight next week.

G

Unregistered
There is a difference between S1 and S2 boxes that have the one way clutch. These boxes have OWC stamped on them and will only work if you use a matching ecu. I expect this means that as well as a mechanical difference between the 2 there will also be a difference in the valve body.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
where is OWC stamped on the box? I'll try to get the auto guy to let me know so I can confirm compatability with madhav/bradc

man talk about a confusing scenario!

G

Unregistered
On top of the box somewhere. I'll put up a pic if I can get to the spare I have. It will work if you have the ecu but you will loose traction control and the TCL and engine lights will be on all the time

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
On top of the box somewhere. I'll put up a pic if I can get to the spare I have. It will work if you have the ecu but you will loose traction control and the TCL and engine lights will be on all the time

Thanks! That would be a real help - here's hoping whatever I have matches bradc's or madhavs!

call me a tedious wanker if you must, but an auto trans place telling me they don't have access to some of the replacements parts is just naff - part of the reason I took it there was because I didn't want to invest the time in doing it myself, but here I am chasing up info and parts :'(

still I can't wait to get the thing back on the road and I continue to be impressed by the response here in the forum :D Edit - decided to donate, this advice/help I've been getting here is very relieving!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
...but here I am chasing up info and parts :'(

still I can't wait to get the thing back on the road and I continue to be impressed by the response here in the forum :D Edit - decided to donate, this advice/help I've been getting here is very relieving!

Welcome to import ownership lol

This forum is great. Without it, I wouldn't have even considered buying a VR-4.

Mortz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Luke M
Drive
1997 Legnum VR4
Instead of handing out the crap, strung together UDSM Galant owners manual the compliance places could just give new owners a strip of paper with this web addy :p. Much more help than that shoddy excuse for information they call our manuals.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
...call me a tedious wanker if you must, but an auto trans place telling me they don't have access to some of the replacements parts is just naff - part of the reason I took it there was because I didn't want to invest the time in doing it myself, but here I am chasing up info and parts :'(

Just keep in mind that these transmissions were not locally delivered, hence the mechanics here have absolutely no reference material what so ever. I'd be printing this whole thread out and giving it the them to look over so they can get an idea on what can be swapped in and out.

Imagine some poor Japanese bastard looking at a Holden Ute auto box! He'd be totally stumped too.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
yeah I get what you're saying man, and to be honest it does sound a fair bit like the auto guys knows his stuff

I'm just waiting on a quote for bradc and madhav's boxes and will get one shipped to the auto guy to sort it out

I reckon all this puts paid to getting it back on the road for only a few g though - I'm gonna owe mum large cash for a while to come!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Hey Stuii, when your car is fixed and you drive it down to your first meet with us im buying you a beer and a happy meal!

Bloke you've had some bad luck with your buy but you seem like your getting through it OK.:D

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Thanks guys,

apart from the OWC thing, does anyone know of any incompatability issues in fitting a series 1 box to a series 2 legnum?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
There is a difference between S1 and S2 boxes that have the one way clutch. These boxes have OWC stamped on them and will only work if you use a matching ecu. I expect this means that as well as a mechanical difference between the 2 there will also be a difference in the valve body.

Did you mean engine ECU or gearbox ECU?

Are the series 1 gbox ECU's compatable with S2 ECU?

G

Unregistered
A series 2 engine ecu is fine. I have that in my own VR4. You need a matching gearbox ecu for the gearbox if you fit an owc box. The drawback with this scenario is that you will not have traction control and the TCL and engine warning lights will be on all the time unless you pull out and replace the looms from the front end of the 2 VR4's . If you want to go down that route you will need an AYC only ecu as well.
If there is an easier way to sort all of this out I would like to know what it is as well as I have 2 S2 a S1 and a manual box sitting at home

Top Bottom