Help me please - I'm stranded!

G

Unregistered
Ouch! Did you get it strengthened at all, or at least get the better wave springs put in?

Also if you haven't got an AT cooler on there yet you should get one before the hot weather hits.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
yes, it has uprated clutches and the solid wavespring - part of a standard rebuild with this guy, he keeps the parts on shelf since they fit all mitsies

G

Unregistered
Good stuff. Hopefully now you can start driving it around, the enjoyment will help dull the pain of your ordeal :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
The mech who pulled the g/box apart, did he give you his diagnosis whether the damage was an ongoing issue prior to the sale or it was a malfunction causing instant damage?

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
Jeez that was an expensive experience!!! I don't wanna say I told u so... But....

I could have sold u my auto with all the added goodies for $2.5k, and a $1k in installation labour and that would have been it!!

Nevertheless it must be good to be able to drive again, I am seriously looking forward to this.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
yeah true, the main reason though is I wanted to avoid any potential computer issues between the OWC and non OWC boxes​

trounced

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Glad you finally go this sorted out sounds like a bit of a saga

as nice as it would be to get the guy that sold the car to you to cover some of it, i doubt anything would ever be done or recovered.

might be worth following up but just dont think you would see any money at all

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
The mech who pulled the g/box apart, did he give you his diagnosis whether the damage was an ongoing issue prior to the sale or it was a malfunction causing instant damage?

It was the death of a bearing - the (almost) exact words of the trans guy were "the bearing would have failed a few months ago, the driver should have heard a clunk. on it's way out the pin should have made a fair grinding noise. it's taken 3or4 months of wear since the failure for it to come loose like this"

Ivor has been online since then, it's a little strange he has offered no comment..

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
It was the death of a bearing - the (almost) exact words of the trans guy were "the bearing would have failed a few months ago, the driver should have heard a clunk. on it's way out the pin should have made a fair grinding noise. it's taken 3or4 months of wear since the failure for it to come loose like this"

Ivor has been online since then, it's a little strange he has offered no comment..

Wow. That sure lends weight to some of our suspicions.

frozen

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Josh
Drive
1990 Mitsubishi GTO
Formerly: 1996 Galant VR-4
if you get that in writing from the mechanic, surely that would hold up as 'something' :S

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Any thoughts on whether it's worth persuing Ivor for any of this? I'm still within the 3 months legal action time from purchase date...

As much as it sucks, private sales are pretty much buyer beware. You'll say he should have known it was broken, he'll say he didn't, and you'll get precisely nowhere.

When I sold my FTO as-is ($7,800 for a manual GPX, mind you!) the purchaser took the bloody thing to the local Mitsubishi dealer to get a roady, then tried to hit me up for half of the $2,500 they charged him. Needless to say he got nowhere with that either... As-is is as-is.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive

then I strongly suggest that you should seek legal advice/actions.. I would go back to your mechanic and ask him nicely if he can be used as a witness for his professional opinion/knowledge..

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
As much as it sucks, private sales are pretty much buyer beware. You'll say he should have known it was broken, he'll say he didn't, and you'll get precisely nowhere.

When I sold my FTO as-is ($7,800 for a manual GPX, mind you!) the purchaser took the bloody thing to the local Mitsubishi dealer to get a roady, then tried to hit me up for half of the $2,500 they charged him. Needless to say he got nowhere with that either... As-is is as-is.

Tim, I do understand where you're coming from.. but I think from where Stuii stands.. he's got a chance since the previous owner (Ivor) strictly prohibits test drives of his car.. which everyone would suspect that there is something wrong with it... hence it took him a while to sell it..

and also I do understand that Stuii still bought the car even though he knew that test drives were prohibited, but surely 30km's after buying it? I'd definitely go back to the seller and tell him nicely to fix it or else legal actions will be taken..

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
and also I do understand that Stuii still bought the car even though he knew that test drives were prohibited, .

That's where I think the problem is going to lie...

You also might have to prove that the ban on test drives was placed because the owner knew the car was going to break, which would be impossible.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
on another note... it seems I'm getting 20L/100k and now have an engine check light

almost wishing I never bought it :angry:

hope I can figure out how to get this crap sorted!

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
OK checked the error code and as best I can tell I'm getting an engine error code of 12 - check the air flow meter

I've taken it off and had a look but it looks clean and normal

put it back on and I'm still getting the error

car is now running heaps more boost for the same level of acceleration, I suspect it's running rich and it's even having trouble with hills

I spose I'm basically back to the original "help me please I'm stranded"

now I officially wish I had just bought another tx3
:cry:

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
OK So I've tried a few things
problem seems to be confined to below 3000rpm
if I give it enough throttle it bogs down while boost grows, once boost is at about .9bar the engine 'caughs' a couple of time momentarily dropping boost (I think the ecu must be firing the solenoid or something)
if I gently build the revs to 3000 or 3500 and give it some throttle the car goes properly (engine sounds right too) and I get normal levels of go.

I'm quite concerned now... but since the CEL is for a flow meter, is there anyone who would consider coming out to templestowe (VIC) and letting me borrow a flow meter for a quick test? then I at least know whether its a simpole replacement job or not... will pay in beer, friendship and potentially sexual favours... I can also throw in some hydroponic chili...

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
That's where I think the problem is going to lie...

You also might have to prove that the ban on test drives was placed because the owner knew the car was going to break, which would be impossible.
Ummm....maybe this is a reason why he is asking for a deposit for every test drive so that if something does break (in which Stuii had it), he'll keep the money?? I don't know....I am not judging Ivor just speculations...

Have a read on post #34

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
I can't come to templestowe, but if you wanna come to greensborough to are welcome to borrow mine.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
You'd be welcome to mine but location says no.

Hope you get this sorted ASAP mate.

Top Bottom