Help me please - I'm stranded!

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
I'm sure I have seen a similar thread on one of japanese sites when I was translating the Engine ECU and A/T Gearbox ECU pinouts, I'll see if I can find the thread and translate it. From memory it discussed the need to match correct gearbox ECU to OWC stamped gearboxes.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
it really does sound like I should stick to a series 2 box..

what would happen if you put the electrics and gearbox ecu from a series 2 box on a series 1 box?

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
so an update of sorts for those who are interested - I went down to the transmission place to have a good look at my busted box and get the guy to walk me through it - I should have taken my camera (I think I will next time, you never know photo's might help people down the track...)

The full diagnosis
A needle bearing in the final drive planetary gearset failed (probably months ago I'm told) and finally allowed some of its metal to move. that piece of metal (probably about 1mm x 3-4mm) made it's way through the planetary gearset destrying everything in it's path. Once free in the gearbox it chipped some teeth on the crown wheel and pinion and also took out one of the remaining planetary gearsets also.

so in short although this workshop has stock of everything cobra transmissions does, they have no planetary gearsets and similar and neither to their tranny wrecker friends.

hence why the guy is adamant that I find a donor box as to buy all of the gears from mitsbishi would be mega ultra expensive..

and thus is the diagnosis of gearbox death. :cautious:

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
I still remember when snickells showed me the fragment of the wave spring that caused so much damage too.

Good luck with it all Stuii :)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Gearsets can be pulled from an F5A51 as stated before but the output shaft setup may be different being a FWD (Ie, the tip-tronic 5 speed Verada box) or get Brads (Which is the better option)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
the planetary bits will be the same, everything to do with the output is completely different.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Just a quick question - is there a reason you haven't considered a manual conversion? That car with a manual would be one of the best, most valuable Legnums going around.

If you hate manuals or something, just grab a secondhand auto and throw it in. Brad's is cheap (as far as VR4 parts go).

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
What Tim said. Ivor's car always made everyone drool at the wash meets. With a manual it would be a killer.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
yeah I must admit to a bit of interest in manual conversion - but what would be required for that?

pedal box, master cylinder, centre console cap, master cyl to slave cyl connect

much else? any electrics?

where does one source a manual box from in a hurry anyways?

Truth be told, I'm leaning toward going for Brad's spare gbox - this is the first auto car I've ever considered and I kinda wanted to because I'm commuting in peak hour and my missus can't drive manual - it's a pain

but yeah, I think this will definitely be my first and last auto, I don't think my pride can handle it in the long run

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
The manual conversion will be more work, obviously, but you sound like you actually want a manual and have talked yourself into an auto. Maybe the gearbox gods are telling you something.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Dude are you nutz?lol Buy Madhave's box!!!

For that price you get a fully rebuilt and strengthened box.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
That ^^^^ is the best advice I have heard in ages. :)

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
After only 30 kms??? Man, that sucks big time! Hope you get it sorted out without too much hassle. I wonder what Ivor has to say about it?
I can top that. My old EG Civic spat a clutch spring after 8kms.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
a minor update - I got a gearbox from techsport in bayswater and have dropped it to the auto trans guy, he's going to start looking at it on monday so at least in theory as long as the gearset in it isn't screwed then the box should be rebuilt

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
Have the word back from the tranny-man
THe gearset from the donor gearbox was fine - I might be back on the road late next week :)

Hopefully I don't get screwed with price

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Nice work Stuii! Then you get to enjoy the car as much as we have :)

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
OK Guys,

Finally have the car back.

total cost in the end
$3500 for the rebuild (since everything was mangled I guess)
and $500 for the donor gearbox (to get the replacement gears from)

Any thoughts on whether it's worth persuing Ivor for any of this? I'm still within the 3 months legal action time from purchase date...

Anyways, now that it's on the road apparently I have to drive like a granny while the clutches bed in, checkup after 1000kms and then it's back to normal driving.

I'm going to do my best to make it to the next meet up! :blush:

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Good to hear Stu, although $3.5k semms a bit over the top..... The hardest part is removing and re-installing the box and that should only take 10 hours labour???

Anyways, hope to see it out cruising again soon!

Top Bottom