I Hate my Legnum - Gearbox falling apart

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Well its almost been 2 weeks and I still haven't got my car back together from doing the torque converter seal. After last night loosing a rather large chunk of skin (to the bone) of one finger, tonight I decided to try again and fit the transfer case. Tightening up the bolts and bang something gave out. Have a look at the pictures to see what gave out. If you guessed that its a large piece of the gearbox you would be correct. So now I am without a car, don't know what to do and hate that bloody legnum taking up space in the garage. I am at the stage now where I may call the wreckers and just get that heap of metal out of here or sell it off in parts I am that pissed of right now.

Attachments

• GB1.JPG
    GB1.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 54
  • GB2.JPG
    GB2.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 46

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
that's not good..

hope you can source an auto g/box asap.. just saw you cruising couple of weeks ago and thought it was really mean looking..

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Matt, i'm sorry to hear about this. I know how frustrating it can be when a car you spend money on and effort just starts to fall apart.
Hang in there. Source a gearbox. Make the repair on the Legnum a project. Use a spare car for now and when you have the spare cash, allocate it to building the Legnum back up.

Judging by the pics, it looks like that's part of the housing of the whole transmission. How did it manage to crack like that? Has something hit it? Is your car lowered? :cool:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
I would guess that you were tightening it up when it was already pressed against something and in the wrong position and eventually something had to snap.

smohekey

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott Mohekey
Drive
Legnum
I would guess that you were tightening it up when it was already pressed against something and in the wrong position and eventually something had to snap.

Yep, I've had the same thing happen with the distributor on the NA v6.

whiteleg

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Matt
Drive
98 Legnum
Hi Dimi, nothing hit it (just me) like Brad said when doing up the bolts to try and get the Transfer case back on it must have not been sitting right or its just to tight as it looked and felt like it was sitting ok, then bang off it went.
I guess its that ring on the shaft that creates the lock, is that correct and if so can I remove it? What damage would this cause?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Matt, sorry to hear of your troubles mate, but as Brad said the only way that could have happened is if you had a gap between the transmission and the transfer case, it wasn't lined up properly and you just kept tightening bolts. Only three things could have happened in that case - the thread tore out, the bolt snapped or something you were bolting broke off (which is what happened).

I don't know what tools you have to put your transfer case back on, but when I did mine I had a transmission jack which allowed me to position and align the case perfectly so it just slid on. Bear in mind I pulled the output shaft out of the transmission to get both the gearbox on and attach the transfer case, 'cause it was way too hard to get things into position (and I bashed the hell out of it when it was still in there).

If you don't have a transmission jack, I recommend the following:
1) remove the output shaft (it just slides in once you're finished)
2) lift the transfer case up and hook it onto the output sprockets coming out of the transmission (where the output shaft sticks out of)
3) align the transfer case to the transmission by lining up the alignment shim (little metal cylinder sticking out of the face of the transmission housing)
4) if the transfer case is sitting on the sprockets and the shim is lined up, you should be able to insert the middle-top bolt and do it up gently. You MAY need to also insert the middle bottom bolt and do it up in concert with the top bolt, just to ensure you don't get any twisting

You should NOT have to do apply any sort of torque to the bolts until the faces transfer case and transmission are abutted. The bolts should do up easily until you're ready to apply final torque. If there is ANY gap and the bolt resists strongly, STOP, undo it, line everything up again and then try doing up the opposite (ie if you're at the top, try doing up the bottom) bolt.

I know this is all REALLY frustrating mate, I hope you persevere through it though and get it all fixed soon :)

Top Bottom