I hate woodgrain and this is how I fixed it

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
I originally bought my car because it had almost the right options, great mods and the price was right. What I didn't like however was the woodgrain. It was driving me nuts. Recently I saw a friends car that had used this CF look alike cloth which I thought was superb. Long story short, I bought some and spent hours getting frustrated but I think the results are brilliant. I also took the opportunity to get rid of the woodgrain gearknob and handbrake lever by swapping them with Momo's finest. I'm rapt with the result

Attachments

• IMG_0403.jpg
    IMG_0403.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 986
  • IMG_0425.jpg
    IMG_0425.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 1,044
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 997
  • IMG_0427.jpg
    IMG_0427.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 993
  • IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 986
G

Unregistered
That came up really well, and I like the manual look shift boot!

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
Puhh... I had the carbon console, but in my eyes carbon should not be brownish!!! Replaced mine today as well! But by the looks you used different stuff or maybe not? :rolleyes: 421?!?

Will have the original carbon for sale soon, absolute immaculate condition... not even one scratch!

[URL="
IMG_0753.jpg

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
Was shown this on a Saab forum of all places, looks great. Made by 3M, carbon foil? Where'd you get it and how much?

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
Thanks guys. It cost me $95 for a sheet of this stuff and I probably used half on this job.

Yeah I love the manual shift boot as well. I was missing the plastic cover in the gate and that was annoying me as well.

It looks very similar to your photo TomTom. Maybe it is the same stuff

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
What is funny is that being a facelift the car would have had the yellow carbon dash, leather handbrake and leather gear knob with no wood on any of them. No ugly wood steering wheel either! Obviously an owner in japan liked brown patterned plastic.

G

Unregistered
What is funny is that being a facelift the car would have had the yellow carbon dash, leather handbrake and leather gear knob with no wood on any of them. No ugly wood steering wheel either! Obviously an owner in japan liked brown patterned plastic.

The woodgrain looks kind of odd without the lighter interior and leather seats.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car

Eww! Some people have no taste.

Love the momo bits with the carbon, makes me think I'll have to copy you :D

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
Please tell me where you got the gear stick look-a-like set up. That looks like a manual.

And where do you get that carbon sheet?

G

Unregistered
It looks like a Momo Automatico shifter. Must make tip mode a bit more enjoyable to drive too, the standard shifter is too chunky and oddly shaped.

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Quick question about the gear stick knob and boot. Did you just use a universal boot? How did you attach it to the base? Does the gear knob now permanently hold the "button" down? Love the look BTW. Have you come up with a way to cover the steering wheel's wood grain? That is the bit I have wondered about fixing.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
is this just a vinyl sheet?

peel the back and lay it on smoothly?

heaps of stuff on ebay too

bdscott

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
98 FL Leggy
Haha so many questions. I got the fabric from a company called Justjdm off the ozmazda forum. Being an ex Mazda owner I sort of hang around there at times. I got the price wrong in my previous post, it is actually $99 delivered for a 1m x 1.4m sheet. It is a little difficult to put on as in it needs patience to get it just right.

The gear knob is indeed the Momo Automatico so it functions as a normal auto gearknob would. The boot is also Momo. I just glued it to the underside of that trim panel. It feels a hell of alot better especially in tip mode and I figured the lights come up on the dashboard so I don't really need to see the gate. And yes the steering wheel will be going soon. I have an evo 7 wheel on the way as well as the brembos. Very exciting

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Wouldn't buy the ebay stuff... go for the 3M CA-421 - it should be available in every store (that's what the guy told me yesterday).

1,25m x 0,82m =$70

If you can get just .5sqm - that will be enough

SupremeMoFo

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Evan
Drive
MY01 Magna Sports
From what was said on the Saab forums, the easiest way to apply it to heat it and don't be shy about stretching it to get the best fit, although if you stretch it too far it's goooone.

Hmph, look for retailers in SA and it tells you to buy it in Melbourne.

minik1971

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nigel
Drive
White 1990 BMW 535i was a Black 1998 Legnum FL (written off)
Yeah no Tasmanian dealer either :(

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Your DIY fake carbon looks better than the factory fake carbon! Good work!

Top Bottom