This is why I hate Urethane

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well this isn't technically a suspension post but it's more commonly used for suspension than anything else.

I'm robably going to get flamed for this but for those who don't know I hate urethane for most applications it's used for. Eg Engine mounts (as you can see below) and most suspension mounts. The exceptions are those which have very little lateral or vertical load and no twist apart from perpendicular to the mount.

For example, urethane mounts on our front upper wishbone where it bolts to the car I'd be OK with (hence they are still in my car). Swaybar D rubbers I'm OK with as well as there is not too much vertical load applied to them. However, lower control arms, no thanks.

The reason being Urethane deforms much more plastically (as opposed to elastically) than rubber, meaning it doesn't spring back properly. The problem is deformation of the mount over time (a relatively short time) and then things move like they shouldn't.

Anyway, I couldn't find just how old this rollstop was but it is certainly less than 3 years. And check it out! and that's without an engine in it so add another 5mm or so deflection with the engine hanging on, probably 10mm under load. The tailshaft was hanging mighty low I must say. Now that half my vibrations are gone, back to getting that SAYC diff angle correct....

Urethane Mount Sml.jpg

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
yeeesh! looks much worse then what you explained over the phone

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Fuck!!! Going to check mine out tomorrow.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Dumb question: if urethane does that, then why do they use it? Does it have some short term benefits?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Its cheap in that its easy to mould into shape, its usually stiffer than rubber so until it distorts it feels like the suspension is better connected to the car, for the applications I dont mind it in, it is often better than rubber.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
To me, that just looks like it has been subject to excessive heat. I haven't seen urethane melt/warp like that before from just general use.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Solid rubber would be the go, wish I had my lower control arms to show, they were similar

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
If that rollstopper is like that, what are the engine and transmission ones like? They should surely go before the roll-stopper as they should be taking the weight?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Well the roll stopper takes a fair bit weight, esp under load, my front mount is solid rubber and looks perfect, yet to pull the urethane drivers side off....

lathiat

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trent Lloyd
Drive
97 Legnum (Manual)
That's the rear rollstop

I had some polyurethane ones in my Magna, they didn't do anything like that - although were only maybe 9months old when i last got them out, and, were much much thicker than that sideways - and had no holes drilled. Also mine had metal built into the center where the bolt goes through. Seems like that mount was kinda badly designed to be.

but they do look heat effected.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Just asking but does having the holes drilled in them also effect the longevity and rigidity of them? Every poly mount I've seen has been solid.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Just asking but does having the holes drilled in them also effect the longevity and rigidity of them? Every poly mount I've seen has been solid.

I think it was put there to lessen the vibration..

also I think these were made for the NA SOHC 6G72 which were used on the USDM 3G eclipse..

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
I think that I may have this problem also, I am getting vibrations through the floor particularly when turning right on a decline. I haven't had a look yet but is where is this mount situated.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
The mount is almost in the centre of the car at the back of the engine....

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Found a drawing for them. Was this the rear roll stop, transmission roll stop or front roll stop? It looks like the rear from the picture but I'm not sure. And can you just replace just the insert? Sorry for reviving an old thread.

[TUFFTR]

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul
Drive
Mitsubishi Magna
Touching base on what I asked before, I still reckon having holes drilled in them isn't helping the cause. You can see a fold line where it's sagged next to that bottom hole. I have never ever seen a poly mount go bad on 3000GT's. Guys love them, but they are solid poly, not this.
Steve, have you seen solid poly's go bad too?

Size1

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Simon
Drive
00 legnum vr4
Sorry I read the thread again and it says it is the rear. I plan to jack the car up over the Easter break to have a look.

Top Bottom