Just got my Galant... AND ITS F*&KED!

G

Unregistered
/vent...

Just picked up my Galant from quarantine release and found its got a great big ****ing hole in the radiator... holds water about as well as a sieve.

Someones got some answering to do... Its at the compliance workshop I'm hoping he can shed some light on it... like if its recent or not.

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!

G

Unregistered
Thats a bit disappointing to hear, hope the problem will be rectified soon.

You getting it complied at Phils?

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
No guarantee it wasn't busted already, unless you're talking about really obvious external damage? Remember the cars don't get driven at auction so damaged engine components can slip through...

My bro's car arrived with some nasty big tears in the paint on the bumper, all the way through to the plastic. They weren't there in the photos from Japan, but because he didn't pick it up from the wharf himself there's SFA he can do about it :banghead:

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Radiators aren't that hard to find, it could be worse! Hope the engine is ok.

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
Radiators aren't that hard to find, it could be worse! Hope the engine is ok.

Dude, I had to have my gearbox rebuilt. 3k latter + the cost of a service and parts, its still the BEST car I've ever bought!

Some things will go wrong during the import process and that's just life man.

Go and get yourself a nice upgraded radiator and be done with it.

G

Unregistered
i've had my gearbox out twice, (once because it was destroyed) killed an alternator, heater core, and something else that evades me right now..

its almost a lucky dip with imports, my R33 had 134,000km when it came over, and it was probably the most immaculate condition body work i'd seen, and the interior was pretty bloody good too.

G

Unregistered
depends if its auto or manual, auto needs to retain the factory cooler.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
It was me who helped Ant bring the car in.

Obviously the hole wasn't evident when the car was in Japan - those of you who know (and my agent for that matter) would know that it would never have gone on the boat if that was the case.

The car was insured for the journey, so Ant's now looking in to the possibility that the damage occurred on the boat. Either way, it's, thankfully, a fairly easy repair.

I'm sure you guys would know what it's like when you finally get your new car and it needs work done to it, though. Very frustrating. My GT-R has arrived in Brisbane, and it won't start...

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Tried putting some fuel in it, Kris? ;)

Seriously though, I'm sure its not that bad. A car like that would have been well looked after I'm sure.

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
All is revealed - starter motor is FUBAR, auto elec reckons it fried itself somewhere on the docks. Fitted a new one and it's all good. :)

G

Unregistered
Glad to hear that's all it was Kristian.

Regarding Ant's car, how would they hole in the radiator happen? Wouldn't you think there would be some front bumper damage or something?

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
It really doesn't make any sense, going on where Ant told me the hole is. There's no way it wouldn't have been picked up at auction or at any other stage in Japan if it was really that bad.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Some dock worker prolly slipped. It happens. What do they care, after all?

Glad to hear the GTR is getting closer, Kris! :)

G

Unregistered
Ok so the result at this stage is as follows...

It seems that the steam/pressure cleaners for quarantine punctured the radiator in two places. I went to Phil's yesterday and we had a good look at it and that was what we determined. The punctures are on a downward angle and very fresh in a spot that Phil KNOWS FOR A FACT that they have to clean.

I have spoken to the company that did the cleaning and they have apologized and said they will wear the repair cost. We will see if they actually come through, but I must say at this stage I am impressed that they have taken it on board and said they will wear the cost.

Sorta past my emo moment from the first post but as Kristian said you all know what its like when you get your new car and somethings broken.

Cheers for support guys!

Kristian

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kristian
Drive
Changes daily
Jeez they must've given it a fair old going over with the cleaner to do that much damage. Oh well glad to hear it has ended well, Ant. :)

G

Unregistered
Jeez they must've given it a fair old going over with the cleaner to do that much damage. Oh well glad to hear it has ended well, Ant. :)

Lol just to clarify it wasn't from the pressure they appear to have been quite rough getting into the tight spot and hit the radiator with the tip of the pressure gun whilst just jamming it down there.

Top Bottom