Larger throttle body

VR-04-TT

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Paul
Drive
2005 Liberty 3.0R Spec B
One more update and then I'll shut up...I promise :ROFLMAO:

I still wasn't convinced the TPS was set right so I tried it again with MUCH more success! I found the zero coninuity point so I could set it by-the-book.

After setting the fixed SAS screw and the TPS I realised the accellerator cable had too much slack as well, not stupid amounts of slack, but enough to make a noticable difference.

So I took up as much slack as I could without it opening the throttle and took it for a burl.

Massive difference. By this I don't mean "omfg my hektik wip is mekkin 250kw atw bro!" I mean that from how it has been since I did the swap, the car feels like it SHOULD be. It feels like it's stock again...which, believe me, is massive (to what it was before)!

So now it's set properly I don't know if it'll benefit from extra mods or hinder them. All I can safely say now is that I know it's back to normal and I really don't think it's made any difference to the stock performance (all I have is a 3" cat back exhaust).

I'll stop posting novels now lol :ROFLMAO:

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Sorry to dig up an ancient thread, but did anyone else look into this?

Am just about to attempt it myself.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think you can fit the evo ones but you need to rotate it 180*

it won't look good, but it'll retain your ISC

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Here's a 65mm Mitsi throttle body from a 6G72. Its also found on the 6G74. Commonly seen in TE to TW 3rd gen Magnas and the NJ Pajero. All I had to do was swap the cooling / idle control housing. I just have to finish machining out the intake to match & should be able to report in the difference. Will be throwing it on the dyno to adjust the map for the extra air.

depnus.jpg

dsc000583.jpg

dsc000603.jpg

dsc000622.jpg

dsc000612.jpg

dsc00063at.jpg

crazydriver81

Hesitantly Boosting
Premium Member
First Name
Stefan
Drive
Legnum 25 ST-R
if you can get hold of a intake manifold / TB combo off a VR-4 Type S from 1999 onwards you don't need to mill anything out here...

The models without ASC/TCL feature came with the large TB and suitable manifold. Could be that you know already.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Yeah I had heard that, but my local wrecker was a bit short on them. He had plenty of Magnas though :tongue_smilie:

Was a grand total of $45 & a couple of grinding belts!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Hmm interesting! Good work Benny. Keen to see results

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
So the FL throttle body is bigger than PFL? Odd. Keen to see how you go Ben.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
just scored a throttle body.. its got the stuff for the cruise control as tufftr said.. :D

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Well I have a 2000 model manual without ASC/TCL so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones :p

I'll have to measure it up next time I have it off.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
I believe it was factory Automatic models which came with the larger throttle body. None of the manuals I had ever had it but the Auto (which I converted to manual) did.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
FL auto has the larger one and mine (PFL manual) has the smaller one.

We discovered this when I re-used his parts list to order all the gaskets I needed last year. I ended up with a throttle body gasket that didn't fit my throttle body.

The Japanese workshop manual I was using shows both, but lists the larger one as the 6A12 version.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
Haha! Yeah see that why I grabbed the Magna one, much less confusion! :p

Mine is all bolted back together & it started fine. Haven't been able to go for a drive yet as I've got other bits being worked on.

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I have the larger TB and plenum here is somebody wants it- come with my spare engine.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Yes please! wouldn't mind a dyno run of each type and mine being a manual shouled be the smaller size. Something I did notice lately was I tuned a VR4 and it was only going to 82% throttle, made 162kWATW, with 100% throttle (cable adjusted) it made 177kWATW, that's not insgnificant flow restriction for a butterfly valve almost open!

Top Bottom