Melbourne Hailstorm. Is everyone OK?

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Just a quick sound-off to make sure everyone's family, house and their beloved VR-4's are ok?

Had to move Loki under a low-lying/big canopy tree (weighing up damage to bonnet/roof from being exposed to massive hail vs tree falling over) and lucky I wore my cowboy hat whilst I did. My shoulders got pummelled and am wearing a few red marks on me.

My mate's Facebook entries are littered with mobile-phone posts since they've lost power.

Hope all's well. Youtube video etc soon.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Yeah a mate called me with a heads up saying he had just had tennis ball sized hail and it was heading my way. My garage is full, so I did a 20 point turn to get my car perpendicular to the driveway, and opened the lift up garage door so only around 5cm of the car was exposed from under the roof (garage door). Covered that side with big cardboard boxes and stood by for action!

Nothing bigger than a pea lol

Seems I got lucky as within 5-10km if me in every direction there was much larger hail.

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Did night shift last night so i was asleep - i off to check my baby now - fingers crossed

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Jesus.. It took me 10mins just to get my car back out from it's sideways position.. Swearing my head of going back and forward back and forward. Gay turning circle!

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Fark, lookin' at the list of carnage (scanning through mate's updates with their cars). Bonnet is fixable, so a windscreen. Roofs of cars on the other end...

yoshimitsu9

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
stefan
Drive
ae86 sprinter
mines all sweet, was doing a service on my car in the garage at my mates house

didnt hail in donvale but a few k's away in nunawading same mates brother 180sx copped a decent amount of hail damage

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
That was the most freaky hail storm I've ever been in in my entire life! The sky went black as night, and this roaring sound was creeping down the street, along with all this crashing noise, it was scary as hell!

I instantly thought "hail" and then panicked as I had no space in the garage to put my baby. I opened the garage door and nudged the nose in as far as I coud, then these MASSIVE hailstones started pelting the back of my car so hard, the alarm starting going off it's tits...

I ran inside and grabed our doona off the bed and while being smashed in the back by the biggest hailstones I've ever seen in my entire life, threw it over the back windscreen and roof to try an minimise the damage to panels I could at least repair...

Then, I stood out there turning my alarm off every few seconds watching destruction hail from above thinking my car would be totalled, but surprisingly, it survived unscathed! Not a single pit or dint! WOOT! Off to Kew now to check the other cars though... Which were out on the street unprotected :(

PeteGT

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
'99 Legnum - S Manual
Cars all good. although a possum seems to have expressed itself all over the roof.
Was crazy being out in it, just got out of the car (not mine thankfully) to walk to the espy and got hammered big time. But then I got drunk so it's ok.

Stuii

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Stuart Lowe
Drive
Mint ass Legnum!
where I am we had max size 1cm diameter - but fraking hell it was heavy.... my garage was full too so I couldn't move my car in - thankfully no damage.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
I was reading the Southern Cross train station had to be evacuated as the roof opened up during the storm?
Hope it's all good as I may be catching the train to there next weekend.

So, did anyone go out afterwards testing their AYC? :LOL:

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
Here in Traralgon we had hail the size of the ball you would have in your mouse on your computer, I was helping out with some deliveries at the time I was in my Mitsie challenger and the water was rather deep it was up to my bonnet and I was passing people in there canoe's lol

G

Unregistered
So, did anyone go out afterwards testing their AYC? :LOL:

Yes, I did. I replaced the AYC fluid in the afternoon, so had no choice but to go out for a test drive when the rain stopped.

Here in Traralgon we had hail the size of the ball you would have in your mouse on your computer

Kids these days probably don't even remember those... you really need to upgrade to an optical mouse!

wosbwm

Crunching Gears
First Name
Wayne
Drive
legnum VR4 Type S, Challenger LS, Magna Wagon, Mercedes E Class, XE Fairmont Wagon S-Pac, Renault Megane
LOL perhaps I am showing my age a bit but I have upgraded to a optical mouse :)

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ok guys second stormfront is going to hit in 30 minutes.

We're going to cop it again just like yesterday except (according to the wife, Melbourne Water Field Officer/Environmental Scientist) this time the ground is already soaked. Could be more flooding too.

I've got the car cover out, with cardboard between the cover and Loki's skin.

See you on the other side of this.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Inner, Northern, Western and parts of the Eastern, Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula and Port Phillip Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 5:33 pm Sunday, 7 March 2010.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:35 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Kilmore and the area west of Kilmore. They are forecast to affect Craigieburn, Sunbury and Whittlesea by 6:05 pm and Caulfield, Footscray, Greensborough, Melbourne City, Melton, Preston, St Albans and Werribee by 6:35 pm.
Very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are likely. Damaging winds and large hailstones are also possible.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 6:35 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Northern Country, Northeast, North Central, Central and parts of the Western and Alpine districts.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Update!!

Outer and south east suburbs added!

Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology
Victoria Regional Office

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING - MELBOURNE AREA

for DAMAGING WIND, FLASH FLOODING and LARGE HAILSTONES

For people in the Inner, Eastern, Northern, Western, Geelong and Bellarine Peninsula, Port Phillip and parts of the South East and Outer East Local Warning Areas.
Issued at 6:03 pm Sunday, 7 March 2010.
The Bureau of Meteorology warns that, at 5:55 pm, severe thunderstorms were detected on weather radar near Craigieburn, Melton, St Albans and Sunbury. These thunderstorms are moving towards the south. They are forecast to affect Caulfield, Footscray, Greensborough, Melbourne City, Preston and Werribee by 6:25 pm and Dandenong, Geelong City, Glen Waverley and Ringwood by 6:55 pm.
Very heavy rainfall and flash flooding are likely. Damaging wind gusts and large hailstones are possible.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
* Keep clear of fallen power lines.
* secure any loose objects in the vicinity of your home.
* keep away from creeks and drains.
* do not drive vehicles through flooded areas.
* stay indoors if possible.
* Avoid using the phone during the storm.
* if you are outside, avoid sheltering under trees
* listen to the radio for storm updates
* switch off your computer and electrical appliances
The next warning is due to be issued by 7:00 pm.
A more general severe thunderstorm warning is also current for the Northern Country, Northeast, North Central, Central and parts of the West and South Gippsland, Western and Alpine districts.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 217. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate warnings being broadcast regularly.

Top Bottom