Melbourne Hailstorm. Is everyone OK?

G

Unregistered

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Chris, that's fkd dude! Hope it gets all sorted for you!

I had friends msging me when the storms hit Melb CBD, sent me MMS of flooding and hail stones! Pretty intense for a city storm! The worst I remember we getting in the CBD was just insane rain and lightning.. From memory, hail seems to hit the suburbs more often than the city? Or maybe I just don't hear of it when it happens!

But I do remember a few years ago the same sort of thing hit sydney, cricket ball size hail over a massive area of Sydney and the suburbs! Thousands of cars written off, including multiple peoples from my office.. it hit at night time all over Sydney =/

cgunther

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
2000 Legnum
Its all over - the insurance company wrote off the car as they couldn't get the parts. I bought back the car, but took the plates off today as the insurance ran out at midnight last night. I've got a couple of options:

• Fix the car. To re-register it I need a Vehicle Identity Validation (VIV) certificate to make sure it's not re-birthed, and a road worthy. Catch is, Vicroads won't issue the VIV until all the hail damage is repaired. Pretty much every panel is dented, so this won't be a cheap fix.
  • Buy / import another VR-4 and swap all my bits across. I could buy an auto and do a manual conversion too.
  • Part out the VR4 and buy something else. An Audi RS4 wagon would be nice, but well out of my price range. Could get an Evo, but not as practical as the wagon. I just want my VR4 back...
  • Track car. Not really an option as I'd need a trailer, a car to tow it, and the time / money to drive it.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Ouch Chris... especially after you got it just the way you wanted. But you know that if you need to swap things out, you've got all the bits.

I hear that there's a $7500 Legnum in Pearl white that needs a 100,000km service in Country Vic!

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Sucks to hear about your car mate.

Grandpa I think is still up for sale. Mechanically it's very good. Lots of kms, but lots of love as well. Looking at around the $6000 mark.

PM me if you're interested & I could put you in touch?

Gary31

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Gary
Drive
96 Legnum V-r4
Hey Chris if you need any help with doing any work, I'm pretty useless but I'm willing to help out!

cgunther

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Chris
Drive
2000 Legnum
Thanks for the link, I heard them talking about it on the radio yesterday.

As I intend on getting another Legnum (that doesn't look like a golf ball), its probably not worth the $500 for the VIV, plus road worthy, plus insurance. I'd be better spending it on the next car. I've still got my wife's car to drive, and we don't really need two cars at the moment.

knickers

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nic
Drive
'99 EC5A VR-4 Type V
Sounds logical to me. Just make sure you've made your final decision before the end if the year I guess. Good to know it's not all bad news.

Top Bottom