Oils, Greases And Fluids For Your VR4

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
Question, since I cant get a hold of AMSOIL for a while, I want to do a quick service on my car and since I get team discount @ supercheap, just wondering what the best oil is out of these brands for 5w30:

Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline, Shell, Nulon, Penrite.

Cheers.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
I don't think there will be a significant difference between the brands you mentioned, particularly if you're changing the oil every 5,000klms.

Just make sure it's fully synthetic, around 5w30 weight, from a reputable brand, and that you change the oil each 5,000klm.

I personally use Castrol Edge Sport 5w30 fully synthetic oil. Not because it's better than the other brands you listed but because it was on sale for about $30-ish for 5 litres ;)

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Im trying nulons 10w40 to see how it goes as i think a 5w will make my tappets noisy but only one way to find out :p

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Im also using a Z79a compatible filter to the ryco its a coopers as rycos seals are not that gooda quality

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Im also using a Z79a compatible filter to the ryco its a coopers as rycos seals are not that gooda quality

I couldn't find any of the Coopers ones! Where'd you get it from? Also I have cut my last two filters in half after service to see what gunk they had captured only to find that there was virtually nothing in either.

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Power Steering Fluid
Recommended Viscosity: Automatic Transmission Fluid
Recommended Specs: ATF SP III
How much you need: .9 L
Reccomended Brands: Mitsubishi Diamond, Amsoil
Brands used by other members: Fuchs, Redline, BP
Recommended Service Interval:

Ive read on clubvr4 that dexron III is also preferred

G

Unregistered
Power Steering Fluid
Recommended Viscosity: Automatic Transmission Fluid
Recommended Specs: ATF SP III
How much you need: .9 L
Reccomended Brands: Mitsubishi Diamond, Amsoil
Brands used by other members: Fuchs, Redline, BP
Recommended Service Interval:

Went to pick up some SPIII today from Mitsi dealer ($46 for 5L for those interested) for the purpose of replacing power steering fluid. It reads on the bottle though "not to be used in power steering systems". Has anyone had any experience using this in their car for PS?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Tim, several members (if not all) do use amsoil ATF for their PS System..

my dad uses it too for his car.. and his customers..., F@$%!! he just wasted an expensive oil on a camry..

G

Unregistered
I've used SP3 without problem in the p/s. You can even just use a Dextron 3 ATF fluid if you like, which is what Mitsubishi recommend.

G

Unregistered
Cheers for the feedback guys - looking at going Amsoil for the engine oil next change so will prob give the ATF a go too for PS

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Yep, just did mine with the mitsubishi SP3, no problems for me.

Merlin032

Crunching Gears
First Name
Tim Kohlman
Drive
VR4 Galant
Has anyone used Redline gear oil for VR4's? The Redline recommendation for EVO's is redline lightweight shockproof. I've used this stuff in Nissans and it does wonders for the gearbox. Wanted to see what people's experience with VR4's was.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
as long as its GL-4.. as stated in previous posts..

don't use GL-4/GL-5...

just use GL-4 with 75w85 viscosity or somewhere close

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I currently have redline lightweight shockproof in my gearbox. Feels much better than the original oil (unkown), and then the Amsoil MTF that I put in there. I will see how it looks when I drain it (ie brass fuzz from syncros etc)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Has anyone used Redline gear oil for VR4's? The Redline recommendation for EVO's is redline lightweight shockproof. I've used this stuff in Nissans and it does wonders for the gearbox. Wanted to see what people's experience with VR4's was.

I currently have redline lightweight shockproof in my gearbox. Feels much better than the original oil (unkown), and then the Amsoil MTF that I put in there. I will see how it looks when I drain it (ie brass fuzz from syncros etc)

Excellent this answers my question - pays to search.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I always use a Z411 or equivalent (FTO oil filter). This has been recommended to me as it is smaller than the alternatives. I've never had a problem.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Is there any difference between running a bigger or smaller filter? All I can think of is the bigger one has more filtering media but does it also cause a pressure drop within the filter?

Merlin032

Crunching Gears
First Name
Tim Kohlman
Drive
VR4 Galant
My advice would be use the factory fitted filter type only. And don't assume bigger is better there are probably more factors at play such as the internal construction. What do you hope to benefit? Do you have evidence the stock filter isn't doing its job?

Kinda unrelated but I'll give an example the Aussie spec Nissan sr20 oil filter for 200sx s15 will screw onto a s13 sr20 however there is a subtle difference in thread size. If used the filter will screw on but can work itself off while driving. It happened to a friend...

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Is there any difference between running a bigger or smaller filter? All I can think of is the bigger one has more filtering media but does it also cause a pressure drop within the filter?

My understanding is that manufacturers now are moving to smaller filters due to the fact that they maintain higher oil pressures. That could be completely wrong but that's what I've pieced together based on the advice I've been given.

Dunno if it is anything to do with the filters I use but I have had next to no noisy tappet problems in 2 years & nearly 40,000 kms, nor did I have any issues in over 50,000 kms in my FTO...

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Anyone able to help me out with the service interval for these oils? I can add them to the first page if someone can give me a definitive answer.

Top Bottom