Opinions Please - Track Cars

G

Unregistered
What is the best car as standard for the track days, what have you all enjoyed driving the most

I am looking at importing another Japanese car and would like some opinions. I will be spending a lot of time on track days

Cheers guys

Nick

leebutts

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Lee
Drive
2001 Golf GTI
I'd say it depends on your budget - an R35 GT-R goes round a track quite well I hear :)

Do you want to be able to drive it on the street? That narrows down the choices considerably...

G

Unregistered
If you are going to be spending a heap of time at track days, then I'd look at getting a cams license to import a much cheaper (non registerable) track car with most of the goodies/modifications already done.

If you also need it for the street then the same sort of cars I'd recommend but modifying is going to cost you quite a bit:

Evo 6-8
FD RX7
RB engined GTR

or go nuts and get a kei sized car or cappacino, spend a fortune slamming a hyabusa engine into it. Strip it down, gaffa tape a massive GT wing onto it, don't eat lunch and see what times you can post.

G

Unregistered
gtir pulsar...mines a rock around the track :drool:

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
If you are going to be spending a heap of time at track days, then I'd look at getting a cams license to import a much cheaper (non registerable) track car with most of the goodies/modifications already done.

If you also need it for the street then the same sort of cars I'd recommend but modifying is going to cost you quite a bit:

Evo 6-8
FD RX7
RB engined GTR

or go nuts and get a kei sized car or cappacino, spend a fortune slamming a hyabusa engine into it. Strip it down, gaffa tape a massive GT wing onto it, don't eat lunch and see what times you can post.

Or a Suzuki Alto RSR. They're a 660cc 3cyl turbo 4wd and rev to about 9000!! Cheap on fuel, cheap to maintain and probably cheap to rego. Kei cars FTW!:D

G

Unregistered
Bullet Roadster. In case someone doesnt know it , its an MX-5 Convertible that has the front cut off and converted to a chassis and they throw in something stupid like a Lexus quad cam 4 L V8 supercharged. Gives you the perfect balanced chassis stupid power and a weight of about 1000kg. Get one of those then work the nuts off it.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
As a track only car an Evo 1-5 makes a lot of sense. You can get the early ones for less than $10k and we all know the potential...

If you want RWD go for an S13 or S14. IMHO FDs are way overpriced and Skylines, Soarers, Chasers etc are too heavy.

G

Unregistered
FD3s RX7... if you get one and want it on the street aswell then your choice is only a series 8 FD, thats the only one that has compliance aproval but you would look at spending bout 30k to get one here and complied on average.. but worth every cent..

G

Unregistered
AE86 ... I recon if I was to purchase a track car I would go the evo's or the GTI-R. No ryme or reason I just think best bang for ur buck, easy to modify and plenty of bolt ons available.

G

Unregistered
IMO stuff the track cars and go a dune buggy with a 6a12 ?? 2L mivec v6. Well thats i plan on doing much more fun IMO.

Seriously a evo of any kind as the power to weight can be fantastic and spare parts are all over the place.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
VR-4's are great on the track, they've got tons of grip, power out of the corners etc etc

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
VR-4's are great on the track, they've got tons of grip, power out of the corners etc etc

Pukekohe times?

Skylines (Modifed) can do just over a minute.....

A 400HP highly modified Legnum does it in.........

*drumroll

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
about 1:06 to 1:08, getting up to 230kmh down the back straight and 205kmh down the front straight, braking early just after the pit exit due to the horrible bumps on the sweeper.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just the thought of that scares me :ROFLMAO:

Can we trade cars sometime about now?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
The mini competition race cars do 180 around that corner! I was scared of going above 140kmh around there, the bumps are that scary. Down the back straight I owned them though :D

JRVR4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 galant type V manual
any gtr, lateish model evo or i've heard good things about gto's on the track to. Depends on your budget, how much you want to modify and if you still want it for road use among other things.

Top Bottom