Opinions Please

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Hey Guys,
Going to take a look at this car on Saturday and hopefully it will be just what i'm after.
Please let me know what you think and Ben or Kristian if either of you guys imported it what do you think.
By the sound of it he imported it early this year and had it complied but he never registered it so it has been sitting in his garage all year.
Also if there is anything i should look out for please let me know.

Legnum.jpg
Legnum2.jpg

Legnum3.jpg
Legnum4.jpg

Legnum5.jpg

Description
This is a fine example of Mistubishi's V6 Twin Turbo VR-4 Legnum, with barely any modifications, and very low kms it's almost exactly as it came from the factory. The only changes on the car are heavily tinted rear windows (legal) and an aftermarket double din sound system.

The VR-4 features electric mirrors, windows and auto climate control in an interior that cannot be faulted; the exterior is immaculate with the less common blue paintwork in top condition.

Mechanically the car is in great shape; with a factory fitted front strut-brace sitting over the strong and fresh 2.5L twin turbo V6 engine delivering plenty of power through the smooth tip-tronic gearbox to all four wheels with the Active Yaw Control (same system as late model EVO) it grabs the road through the corners well

The car comes fully complied with a brand new set of Pirelli tyres (with receipts). I can assist you with registration at the time of purchase to ensure a full 12 months worth.

Price $11,250*
Kilometres 76,000
Transmission Automatic

G

Unregistered
By the sound of it he imported it early this year and had it complied but he never registered it so it has been sitting in his garage all year.
Sounds a bit suss. Have you checked out the compliance yourself? Plug the Aussie issued VIN into the box on the below link:

http://raws.dotars.gov.au/rawswebpublic/RAWPubVehSearch.asp

It should start with 6U9000 then add the Japanese VIN (which starts with EC5W). See the forum thread:

http://www.ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=623

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Oh yeah it's a 96, Will get the vin and check it out when i can. Thanks

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
As a side note, there are members cars on the site for sale for the same or less money for similiarly specced vehicles..... I'm guessing you've checked those ones out already? :)

$10k (Prob less without rego, you won't need it as you're in Victoria) with a few more k's but 100,000km service done :D

http://ozvr4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5037

Apparently Steve is a nice bloke too

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Yeah I've looked at them all but i really like that series 1 blue. I don't mind the trigger but the GF's not a fan.
And if i was going for any of the other common colors (While or Silver) I'd be waiting until i can afford leather and maybe a sunroof as well.

G

Unregistered
The Blue certainly is sexual:love: (Same as mine!) Whoo hoo!

Keep in mind Series 2's have 15 kw's more...

All the best with your search mate (y)

snickells

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Anon
Drive
Car
100k service is about 2k all up, so factor that in, along with all the rego costs.

And why would you leave the thing sitting in the garage unregistered? Seems a little off to me... Get him to register it if your dead serious on buying it. That way he has to get the roadworthy cert... not you.

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Heard back from the owner He only imported it to sell it and make some extra money hence the not having registered it, said he does it occasionally.
I'm Upgrading from driving a 89 1.6l Barina for the last 2 years so i think i will manage without those 15 killer wasps at least for now.

G

Unregistered
I wonder how often he is doing this. Is he a licensed automobile trader (has an LMCT number)? What condition was it imported into the country in? Who did the compliance? Has he imported any other VR-4s? You need to find out whether he personally imported it or used a broker such as Iron Chef, send him a PM.

The seller should have the original Japanese documents including auction sheet and won't hesitate to show you. They tell you the vehicle condition & mileage when sold in Japan, so you can find out if it's been imported damaged and then repaired or wound back here. If he makes excuses then be wary of proceeding.

It might all work out alright for you but if it were me I'd be passing on this one.

If you want to see an example of the worst that can happen, read up on what happened in Florida with the Skylines being seized & crushed.

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
He imported it himself and and it was complied through Japanese Performance Vehicles. I will definitely be chasing him up to look at any docs he has.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Is there something unique about this car or do you like it for some particular reason? The price (without rego too) isn't a steal so I'm trying to understand why you're keen on this car.

The reason for the questions is that there are a few variables and question marks over this car that make me wonder whether it's worth the punt over something that's already registered and good to go at the same or lower price.

As always, caveat emptor and make sure that if you wish to proceed with this car, that you have it undergo a full mechanical inspection and test drive.

Lateralus45

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Braithe
Drive
96 Legnum VR4
Mostly the colour Bruce been looking for about 3 or 4 months and haven't seen many come up for sale.
Not really planning on paying the full price and definitely wont be running out and buying it without getting it looked over properly by a mechanic.
Or if he gives me a reason to doubt the crash history or K's by having no documents.
Also it's not like he has given a reason not to be trustworthy yet.
He never even implied that he didn't just buy it to sell it and make some money and didn't try to hide it at all when i asked.
If he got it landed and complied for 8.5 and sells it for 10.5 that's 25%pa interest even if it takes a full year to sell it and if it only takes a couple of months... well you wont see that interest at a bank.

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
As always, caveat emptor and make sure that if you wish to proceed with this car, that you have it undergo a full mechanical inspection and test drive.

Why the flying f%&$ wouldn't you just write 'Let the buyer beware' rather than making me google search that phrase to determine its meaning?

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Yes, indigo blue is not a common colour. Just make sure that the car isn't an indigo blue lemon ;)

Have you thought about importing? Iron Chef recently picked up a Series 2, indigo blue, manual Galant with Recaro interior for someone else on the forum.

Trevor, apologies - latin just sounds that bit more alluring ;)

Top Bottom