RIP to WTF-70M ...but "spotted" on page 13

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
How do they perform in comparison to a VTI-R Civic Coupe and AE111?

I'm thinking of pushing my budget for a VTI-R Civic Coupe, as I really like the look of them!

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Get a Mazda 323 Sedan 1.8L Turbo

MAZ323.jpg

or a GTX

Mazda323.jpg

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Based on your stated criteria (doesn't need to be a fast car; temporary cheap runabout; NA; and less tempting to mod), I agree with Paul and suggest that a Magna will meet all of your requirements.

You can drive away in a 1998 to 2000-ish model for about $3k.

It's zippy, cheap to buy, reasonably cheap to maintain, parts are easy to source, reliable, and the bonus is that it does bear a passing resemblance to a Galant ;)

If the intention is just to get something to run around in whilst you sort out your finances, it's hard to go past the Magna.

I know some of the young guys won't like to hear this, but I agree with you that it's a good idea to sort yourself out financially before you blow money on the toys. IMO, it's not a financially sound idea to take on non-deductible debt to buy rapidly depreciating assets whilst you're living pay cheque to pay cheque.

Incidentally, did you fit the NGK plugs to the car before the accident? You might want to flog them to another member for a bit of cash.

Good luck with the search!

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Hehe I grew up with all the old model Magnas.. I'd go for a newer one, non-executive as they can look so bland unless if I put cash in to it!

After spotting these, I'm more and more inclined to get one as I just really like them:
civic6.jpg

I still have the NGK Plugs sitting at home, so I'll put them up for sale along with a bunch of other little things I have sitting around at home!

I also have a pretty much new Gizzmo MS-IBC to sell (had it installed for about a month maybe?) and a TurboSmart Boost Tee as well.. Oh, and a set of 4 stock wheels!

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Don't tell him to buy a Magna. He's probably depressed enough as it is. For the record, I think it's a great idea to take on non-deductible debt to buy rapidly depreciating assets if the rapidly depreciating assets are fun. Whatever non-deductible debt is.

The Pulsar would be a great buy! Performance should be on par with most of the other "hot" N/A FWDs.

Agree that Integras are a little overpriced. Same applies to Civics unfortunately. I was keen on a Civic until I found out what they cost, and bought an FTO instead. Maybe an FTO would be a good option for you too?

LOL @ Honda being the Japanese BMW. They're way too cool to be compared to BMWs.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Agree that Integras are a little overpriced. Same applies to Civics unfortunately. I was keen on a Civic until I found out what they cost, and bought an FTO instead. Maybe an FTO would be a good option for you too?

LOL @ Honda being the Japanese BMW. They're way too cool to be compared to BMWs.

Honestly haven't ever been too much of a fan of FTO's.. Some can look hot and all, but I'm just not much of a fan of them.. Like Preludes too..

Civic's are quite overpriced! But I may hopefully be able to talk them down a bit to bring it closer to $10k haha.. sigh

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Honestly haven't ever been too much of a fan of FTO's.. Some can look hot and all, but I'm just not much of a fan of them.. Like Preludes too..

I wasn't a huge fan of the styling, but drive a manual GPX with decent suspension and decent rubber and you'll be converted. They also use no fuel at all, are very reliable, and have nice interiors with fantastic stock seats.

If you can get past the styling they pretty much leave everything in their price range for dead.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Why buy a civic for $10k though when you can get a VR-4 for about the same amount? If you want to save money, spend under $5k!

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
if you want cheap, buy a 1.8L (4g93) lancer coupe or mirage,

use a 4g94 block from a 2002 lancer, and a 4g92M head and gearbox,

you now hav a hi-comp 2.0L mirage with a LSD and close ratio gearbox...cept people in oz are too silly and spend their money on 'ralliart clear taillights'

or put the fto motor into a mirage or lancer, fto power with out the questionable looks

dont get a magna, same fuel consumption and turning circle of a vr4 and about a quarter of the fun

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
I don't want another VR4, I don't want a Series 1, and having another VR4 right away just won't be the same, because it won't be the same car as what I originally had! Maybe down the track when I have other stuff done!

I don't want an old Galant, I don't like them enough to buy one..

I don't want a Magna, no offence to anyone driving one, but I find them quite plain, especially compared to the VR4 I had! Oh and I learnt to drive on a 97/98 Magna hehe

I don't want a Lancer, I just don't really like normal Lancers enough to buy one, plus I want an EVO so that'd just be like getting a lap dance with no follow up!

So yeah, that's what I'm basing my decisions on =]]]

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
if you want cheap, buy a 1.8L (4g93) lancer coupe or mirage,

use a 4g94 block from a 2002 lancer, and a 4g92M head and gearbox,

you now hav a hi-comp 2.0L mirage with a LSD and close ratio gearbox...cept people in oz are too silly and spend their money on 'ralliart clear taillights'

or put the fto motor into a mirage or lancer, fto power with out the questionable looks

dont get a magna, same fuel consumption and turning circle of a vr4 and about a quarter of the fun

Sounds like a lot of work! :eek:hmy:

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
not really lol

ah well we tried to help, guess you'll find something

daewoo maybe?

devol

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
gavin
Drive
s1 galant-04 pajero
WTF:
ive been having net drama's and finally get on to read this depressing,horrible thread.
Tom i really feel for u,i loved ur vr4-- so so so sad.glad that u came out uninjured.
:( i just showed the photo's to my 12yr old son'who was at bathurst with us, and loves ur car as much as all of us', just explained it all with one word
"SUX".

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
Pulsar VZ-R then.

tint2lt2.jpg

dsc00554ai6.jpg

af0cce85d14de6b6med.jpg

174ps @ 7,800 rpm, 1120kg. If 7,800rpm doesn't bring a smile to your face what will?

Oops I broke the rules. :p

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Get a Smart car Tom. They're getting pretty cheap now. It's a turbo too haha.

Plus you can spin it heaps & stay in your lane still. You would have went through the gap in the concrete barriers lol.

Scottie

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Scott
Drive
1999 Type S Legnum
MMMM SR16VE NEO! My most desired engine.

See if you can get a N1 (8600rpm redline!)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Hmm didn't realise how cool the Pulsar things are! Think I might see if I can track down a test drive somewhere first :)

I'm going to drive all these cars I'm thinking of, and see how I go! Maybe I'll be so depressed with them I'll go "**** IT" and get me something with BOOST haha.. Who knows!

But yeah, thanks for the suggestions though boys =]] I wouldn't post on here if I wasn't willing to take your positive and negative criticism on my choices =]]]]

And Paulie, thanks for your help too! But Daewoo LOLL.. I crashed a car, I'm not gay lol

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
If you are gonna go for a pulsar, might as well go for a N15 turbo one, heaps of people do the conversions and sell them off cheap, like this one:
5333052.jpg

Only $7k with everything already done and low kms too... you can get high 12 sec 1/4 mile out of these, parts are always cheap and available also

Top Bottom