ROBS 6a13tt TWIN GARRETT UPGRADE

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Rob, Great to see the project come to fruition, congratulations.

Very keen to see before vs after power and torque dyno plots...

Can you describe how the power delivery feels in the bottom & mid end? for example from what rpm/speed will it pull strongly from when held in 3rd gear? of course with that peak the car feels very strong up top, but compared to before, do you feel any loss of tractability or laginess at low rpm? the dyno will tell a lot of the story but im very interested in your perception from behind the wheel..

Does the auto seem to shift up ok under the higher peak loads? any change to the shift quality? or other signs of stress from the auto?

Was there any problems with detonation or high intake temps when tuning?

cheers

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Come on Rob, full in depth review so we can leave you alone with the thousand questions :p

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Ok first off the auto is excellent in every situation, the dude that built it for me done an amazing job

The power delivery is awesome from a standing start, full boost kicks in at 3500rpm and holds all the way to 5th. Cruising on the road at 60kmh I cant just put the foot down and expect proper boost to kick in, the turbos barley spool up. Depending what gear im in 3rd,4th or 5th I have to b in the right rpm to to get strong boost to kick in. Remember I am running 2.5''dumps into a 3'' straight through exhaust with a pipped out cat thats why from mid to top the rpm's have to be high so I can get some puff into the turbos. So yes cruising at low rpm the turbos are laggy. We had no problems with detonation or high intake temps while tuning.

I like how the car is laggy at low rpm cos it's my daily car. i don't need to hit boost to get from one set of light to the other but, I know the power is there when I want it. With this setup my aim is to get mid 11sec passes at the track.

Overall the stock setup is more peaky down low but the turbos run out of puff very quickly, an upgraded setup is a little more laggy down low but has insane power mid-top.

Dyno sheet will be posted once the workshop open up again as will some vids and pics.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Sounds good, thanks for the update. I'm especially interested in a graph showing boost and rpm please :)

giblet

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Gib
Drive
'00 VR4 Type S
Holy moly! Found this thread thanks to Adam Findlay over on clubvr4 who mentioned it on a thread discussing turbo upgrades. I'm 'kin impressed with the level of power that thing is putting out, and the way you built it so its still your daily driver. Nice one :D

foxdie

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Foxdie
Drive
1997 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Manual in Pyrennes Black
Also awaiting the details :)

I'm in the market for some serious power right now, Rob can you outline everything you've spent as well from start to finish?

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
Something I only just noticed, Rob, is that you went with GT2854R's. Why did you decide to go with these instead of the GT2554R or GT2560R?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I think they were originally GT2554R's but was re-done as GT2854R's

if that makes sense..

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Wouldn't the GT2554r's be better because of the smaller turbine wheel they would spool faster?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
not sure as I've never had it, but from what Rob mentioned, mid to high rev.. the power delivery is really good..

MackTheKnife

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Paul Mc
Drive
'90 MX5 and '01 LR Freelander V6 Softback
Awesome work mate! Great to hear it's running as schweet as it is.

SLY-031

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Joel
Drive
VR-4 Legnum
I've just looked over the specs of the GT2554R, GT2854R, GT2560R and GT2860R and they are almost identical between the 2554/2854 and 2560/2860.

Not sure if there are physical size differences though. The GT2560R is actually rated higher than the GT2854R. If it is more compact and spools sooner it'd easily be the pic of the bunch.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
The 2554 and 2854 are almost identicle the only difference is the size of the exhaust wheel. The housing on the 2560 and 2860 are slightly bigger fitting them can be a bit of trouble BUT, the 2560 core can be fitted into a 2554 housing if more power up top is wanted.

Joel the numbers are deceiving a 2854 is smaller than a 2560, the last 2 digits is the comp whell size so 54mm and 60mm

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
we want a dyno sheet we want a dyno sheet!!!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Take it easy people im dropping my car off this Wednesday for quick dyno and tune check up just to make sure everything is still sweet. I'll grab the dyno sheet of him then.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Can't blame 'em for the enthusiasm to see the figures, but some patience may be required on our part :)

CLuTZ

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Andre
Drive
C73A Lancer GSR, G6E Turbo MK2
Hey Rob, did you swap the cams out for something a little bit bigger?

P.S that was me flashing you in the brown Honda in Roxy the other day :D

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
that is wickeddd man and auto too congrats, im too lazy to read it all but did u have to do any internal work like forged pistons rods etc to sustain that sort of power output

Top Bottom