ROBS 6a13tt TWIN GARRETT UPGRADE

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
Just took the time to read through this thread from start to finish - it's a shame what you manage to miss when you don't get the time to get on here too often *sigh*

Fantastic work Rob, it's really inspiring to hear of people going through this process and achieving such excellent results. I'm sure this will give you tons of enjoyment for years to come. I'll even make an effort to pop in more regularly to see those dyno sheets once you get them up ;)

One question though - did you evaluate the possibility of separate twin exhausts? I've seen some interesting results from other turbo projects where a supposedly adequate exhaust upon further analysis proved a restriction.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Yes the car is running all sweet now but more mods are in the works at the moment.

Next week a Haltech Dual Wideband o2 sensor & controller + a Haltech Idle Speed motor kit will be fitted. The dump pipes will also be moded.

The car runs 18psi full boost so the turbs are pumping out only 9psi each, but I am getting air surging at the comp wheels due to the turbos making more air than what the engine requires. To solve this problem the turbs will be removed and anti surge vents will be cnc machined in on the comp cover. This will eliminate the surging, give much better boost response and will whistle a hell of a lot louder.

60mm comp wheels might be installed to?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Going on Rob's "Drive" the final figure is 287 awkw :D

Will the anti-surge vents allow you to run a few more psi Rob?

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
It's a parallel twin turbo setup. Each turbo is making 18 psi, but contributing half of the total flow. Just sayin'. :)
I think you might be right Justin, good reason to install bigger comp wheels.
I know it's about 6 months late but heres the dyno readout.
02072011033.jpg

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
My guess is it would be brutal .

I couldn't imagine driving my car if it had another 100kw atw

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i reckon, going off this, i could get close to 300 with a manual

godzilla

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Trevor
Drive
1/19 2002 FL Legnum Type 'S' Manual in Black with Suede Recaro's!
If I had this much power I think I would prefer the strenghtened and shift kitted auto.

JiMi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jamie Kendrick
Drive
98 leggy, 90 gvr4, holden rodeo
agreed... not to mention while you might make a handfull of extra kw's with a manual your acutually going to be quicker with the auto imho

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
Different horses for different courses. I would take a manual over an auto any day, it wouldn't matter to me if the auto shifts quicker I like the feeling and fun of driving a manual :)

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
There is also the torque sucking from the auto trans.

guanacosalsa

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Julio
Drive
1999 Mitsubishi Galant VR4 - Type S
I must say this is the best thread I have read so far. Such a big project and so many months of patience, would love to see the car in person! Any plans to give it a run at the drags yet? Looking forward to seeing your run times when the drag season starts. Definitively hit 11 I recon!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Ok back again with an update, this year has been a pain in the ass for me cos im driving with 1 point till march 2012 due to a DUI early this year. Anyway the car is still running strong and I am finally fixing the 2 issues I have with compressor surge and idle under load. The idle issue is all good now that 7203 ecu's can be flashed so the stock idle control motor and the haltech work well together now. As for the compressor surging the only way around this was either fit bigger turbos to the car, fit a bigger exhaust housing to the turbo or surge slot the comp covers.

Well as we all know bigger turbos than what ive put in are almost impossible to fit and the GT2554 don't have the option for a bigger exhaust housing. surge slotting was the best option to fix the issue but slotted comp covers this size don't exist. So I got myself a spare set of comp covers from Ben at ProCharge and dropped them off to Hamilton engineering.

Before-
05102011060.jpg
05102011061.jpg

After-
07112011084.jpg
07112011078.jpg

The guys at Hamilton Engineering did an awsom job on the comp covers and I hope to have them fitted by next month.

Kenneth

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Kenneth
Drive
1999 Galant VR-4
Will be interesting to see a follow up dyno result.

Do you have any information on what sort of RPM/Boost gives surge? It would be very useful for plotting actual engine demand vs theoretical when comparing turbos.

Top Bottom