ROBS 6a13tt TWIN GARRETT UPGRADE

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
hmm...if it was me, id move the flexi back to post y pipe.

but YAY for updates! lets get this out on the roads and eating gtr'salso, the y joiner seems a bit iffy

Paul the flexi is in that spot cos thats where the suspesnion is and the flexi there takes the strain between the 2 turbos like Scott said. Flexi post the y join doesnt really do much. The bad photo angle looks like the join is almost 90 deg but from a better view the pipe flows into the other.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
how could I possibly missed this update?

Rob, is it close to completion now?

couple of questions..
- do you have heat shields between your exhaust and other parts of the engine - alternator, a/c compressor and etc..
- with the exhaust, is it hanging low or sitting tight near the oil sump?!
- you mentioned that they're gonna make the injectors flow 550cc.. just to clarify, you're talking about the oem injectors right?!

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
how could I possibly missed this update?

Rob, is it close to completion now?

couple of questions..
- do you have heat shields between your exhaust and other parts of the engine - alternator, a/c compressor and etc..
- with the exhaust, is it hanging low or sitting tight near the oil sump?!
- you mentioned that they're gonna make the injectors flow 550cc.. just to clarify, you're talking about the oem injectors right?!

Christian The car should be ready to tune by next friday, as for heat shields none at the moment we're hoping they won't be needed but if things too hot they will be made. The exhaust sits nice and tight and the injectors are the stock ones bored out.

Next update will be tomorrow night.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Rob, just a reminder that someone here had replaced the dumps and didn't add heatshields ended up burning out his alternator, which cost him an extra $1500 at the time..

and can't wait to see the outcome..

Dr_Josh001

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Josh
Drive
96 Galant VR-4 Auto
Awesome Rob! I'm especially interested to see how the auto tranny goes with the extra load.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Just a little update the car is sitting on the dyno but there is a small issue with the boost. This will be sorted out within a couple of days.

This is an example of what kind of power it can make, at 6 PSI 175AWKW.

The proper dyno run will be recorded by myself and Steve and will be posted asap.

Madhav

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Madhav
Drive
96 S2 RZ Supra with 500whp
175kw @ 6psi! Thats awesome. You must be happy. When are you seeing boost?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Haha wow 175awkw... Look forward to figures once you get the boost sorted. Top of the dyno readout table is in jeopardy.

ZEUSvsHADES

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jared
Drive
manual 97 COTY legnum
how much are you expecting this whole thing to cost in total? cos my car feels a little slow :(

cittris

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tristian
Drive
2001 Tarmac Black Evo VII
just wow rob! thats insane what a teaser!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
at what revs did you see 175kwatw? Im guessing its further up the rev range where our turbo's start to suck

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
Thats good power for low PSI i struggle to get that running nearly 14!!!!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Goes to show what heating up the air excessively does....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
In simple terms, our small turbos are REALLY inefficent at high airflows and pressures and they heat the air up a crap load making it less dense, negating somewhat the benefit of more boost. There comes a point where more boost can be less power even ignoring the effects of reduced timing advance.

Nice big efficient turbos like these heat the air up SFA. Turbine back pressure is also greatly reduced, and that helps on lots of fronts....

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
LOL i knew that had a blonde moment, well ill have what hes having then (y)

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Sensational work Rob. Watching this intently for inspiration.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
300kWATW would be nice....

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
You are effectively trying to push 14psi through a straw VS 7psi through a drain pipe :)

Top Bottom