SA Exhaust shops

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
theres also a big ad i posted on here for andy if you search AM PERFORMANCE you will also find his details.... glad to see another person going to him does excellent work...

also his on FB too if u ever need to get hold of him and cant. got his only page for am performance

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Just thought I would post up some details on what I was doing this morning :)

Exhaust Technology
(mild steel piping)
Front Pipes $630
Cat 100 cell $295
Rear pipes & big mid muffler & JunBL rear muffler $980
TOTAL $1905

Thoughts: Had a 'quiet' exhaust done by him on the Magna with a Lukey muffler. Couldn't fault the workmanship but his definition of quiet is a lot different to mine. The rear passengers had to lean forward to hear the front passengers speaking even after i toook it back for a 2nd resonator. The JunBL muffler is a tri-flow design so should be fairly nice.

AM Performance
(all in stainless)
Front Pipes $650
Cat 100 cell $290
Rear pipes & resonators & muffler $950
Total $1890 (+$600 for dumps)

Thoughts: I have seen photos of his work and it is unreal. He isn't a fan of mild steel so generally will try to persuade you out of it and the cost difference with him doesn't make it worth while. Makes all his own resonators and mufflers.

Everlast Mufflers
(mild steel piping)
Fronts $400 (no dumps)
Cat 200 cell $380
Rear pipes & resonators & muffler $980
TOTAL $1760 (but would do it for $1650 if I got it all done)

Thoughts: Spoke to Daryl and he was really helpful. Have seen some of their work and its very good. The muffler would be a Redback or Berklee which are a tri-flow design to keep the noise down. He recommended these as he has found VR4s to be quite noisy.

Now the bit that raised my eyebrows was that AM charges $950 for cat back in stainless and Everlast $980 in mild steel????
So I was thinking... front pipes from Everlast and cat and cat back from AM...

Thoughts?
Are dumps worth the extra cost? AM Performance was very strongly advocating them but Everlast didn't seem to think they were worth the money. They do seem very expensive.

Interloper

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Andrew
Drive
2000 Legnum S Man, NX Paj, CBR1000RRSP2, CRF450
looking down the stock cast iron dumps and comparing them to my stainless custom ones is like comparing chalk and cheese......

one of the stock dumps is quite restrictive (rear i think but not sure), probably only an inch and a half at best, comapred with 2.5" all the way 2c

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I noticed on the exhaust technology website they offer front pipes and exhaust systems. Do you guys know if they need your car of do they have templates or something?

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Andrew: Yeah I can see what you are saying, but I am not sure that the extra $500-$600 is worth the money. I might get what, an extra 5kw? If it was 25kw then that would be a different story. This will be a daily, not a dyno king. So for a nice everyday car, I am tending towards the idea that the $500-$600 would be better spent on intercooler hard piping.

Craig: No idea, but will ask him when he rings me back with prices if you want.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Thanks Peter, that would be helpful. I really would like a some stainless front pipes but I don't have the materials or time to make them at the moment.

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Macca: He makes them on the car, but whatever exhaust shop I use, should be able to make 2 sets up on my car and then I can post it to you??

All of them said their front pipes are higher that factory for the boys that like to sit low.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Macca: He makes them on the car, but whatever exhaust shop I use, should be able to make 2 sets up on my car and then I can post it to you??

All of them said their front pipes are higher that factory for the boys that like to sit low.

I'd be keen to get them in stainless, but I guess it depends on where you go :)

And that would be me :p so nice and tucked up would be awesome.

EDIT: What configuration will the front pipes in tuned or uneven? It seems uneven is best from other peoples accounts.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Pretty sure that Exhaust Technology have done the fronts and cat-back for a Galant VR4 in the past - check their website, there are pictures of it IIRC.

Also +1 for them, they are very much a quality and performance oriented shop.

Itchy Scrot

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Luke
Drive
Legnum & scrotary
Curious, how do VR4's go with overboosting? I once had an exhaust changed over in other car to be less restrictive and it was overboosting causing detonation in the high rpm band. Would the ECU need modifying/flashing too, or are these cars a bit more resiliant?

PS - For its worth, Ive heard good stories from Exhaust Tech but not for VR4s. Pricey, but worth it.
And if i ever get another exhaust done, ill go stainless as the normal metal one rusted pretty quickly.

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
Mild steel is guranteed to last 10years....how many of us will keep the cars for 10+ years? There is no way when I get my exhaust I'll be paying for stainless. There is no point to it for the level ALL of our cars are at, even the heavily modded ones.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Thanks Jarrad, I do know about them but wouldn't go anywhere near any of their stuff, I've heard quite average things about them and have seen their front pipes, quite dodgy.

ttgvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
steve
Drive
02 vr4 galant, 92 vr4, 85 starion
Everlast did my system in mild including front pipes only charged me $1300 2yrs ago good work and price and front pipes sit nice and tucked up:p

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Nice one. All the shops are at fault here, they talk everyone into it for some reason then people think its the only way to go, which isnt true, hey it looks great but as Jon said mild will last ages anyway.

Top Bottom