Short Shifter for manuals

G

Unregistered
Good just waiting on a new gear knob,
It was a bit stiff at first when changing gears but seems better now and not as stiff, so I'll just leave it how it is in the middle setting.
The gear knob now does not bite into the thread properly and spins so the new one will be good when I get it. And I can't fit the counter weight as the currant gear nob is too long.

G

Unregistered
off work this week,

so decided to fit the evo 4-6 short shift kit i had traded some of my old pipework for

evoshift.jpg

really should have taken some pic's while doing this,

basically on the evo the blue spacers are to replace the rubber bush's

but this wont work on our cars if you choose to use the shortest throw setting as the shifter bottoms out on the trans tunnel

so use the blue spacers underneath the original bushes and some longer bolts, and then the it clears with no issues

you'll also need to trim part of the shifter plastic/bracket as now the cable has moved down it rubs on it and pops the cable out its holder.... the area in the above posts, that was filed away, has been pretty much completely removed on mine.

other than that pretty much a direct fit, and the throw is VERY short and feels very firm and definite.

if anyone has been in a manual Mazda MX5 (yes a hair dresser's car LOL) the shifter feels alot like that now,

recommended for those who like to race a bit :)....

and on the longest setting the throw is the same as stock, only appears to be shorter as the handle side is lower and in a different position,

if i get really bored tomorrow i see if i can get a couple of pics,
but its pretty hard to get anything decent of it in the car...

if someone in NZ wants to do this or wants a hand im sure a proper guide can be arranged

G

Unregistered
did you trim the plastic in front on the cable on the drivers side? and raise the cradle?
mine wouldnt work properly till i did both of these things,

it is still quite stiff (not im a bad way IMO), but i think thats because of the shorter throw,
but there is also next to no play in the unit, and it will take a bit of getting used to....

if anyone has been in a manual Mazda MX5 (yes a hair dresser's car LOL) the shifter feels alot like that now,

and on the longest setting the throw is the same as stock, only appears to be shorter as the handle side is lower and in a different position,

if i get really bored tomorrow i see if i can get a couple of pics,
but its pretty hard to get anything decent of it in the car...

if someone in NZ wants to do this or wants a hand im sure a proper guide can be arranged

You mean this bit? Yep
1207566022.jpg

G

Unregistered
mines completely gone in that area,
a file isnt enough for the lowest setting

G

Unregistered
mines completely gone in that area,
a file isnt enough for the lowest setting
Yea mine looks the same/same part removed.

Well i had another go tonight and changed it to the higher notch which makes it as short as posbale.
I did also add another washer under the blue space on the rear mount too for clearance.

I also removed the counter weight which alwaed me to mount the gear knob lower too so now its really low. Here are some pics

DSC_0330.jpg

This is in reverse with hand brake up.
DSC_0334.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
It looks like someone sat on it and shoved it into the console lol

Maybe a smaller (ie. less baggy) shift lever boot would look better?

Anyway, good job. Must be nice to row the gears now.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
I might get one of these kits.... I quite like the short shifting like in the other half's car

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
Reckon it'd cost much to get a company to do it? lol

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
How much are they worth and what do you search for on ebay to find them?

Cheers. A one day mod!

G

Unregistered
evo short shifter should do the trick when you do a search.

You can check what they look like on the first page to make sure.

Just got to say after driving today man it feels good! Very short changes and the shifter feels very firm. Sweeeet.

G

Unregistered
cool, so whos gonna write the final guide?? :p

timmae2006

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tim Dev
Drive
2000 Mitsibishi Legnum
this is on ebay for $67 from usa
ltCurve.gif

Lancer EVO Eclipse Short Throw Shifter 00-03 04-06

ss-lancer.jpg

anyone care to add their opinion would hate to get it and find out it aint gonna work properly :(:(:(

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Just got to say after driving today man it feels good! Very short changes and the shifter feels very firm. Sweeeet.

I have to say, this was cool in your car man.... And the shifts are SHORT lol

At some stage i'll do mine I think, worthwhile upgrade for the money

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
this is on ebay for $67 from usa
ltCurve.gif

Lancer EVO Eclipse Short Throw Shifter 00-03 04-06

ss-lancer.jpg

anyone care to add their opinion would hate to get it and find out it aint gonna work properly :(:(:(

Anyone end up getting this? How are you guys finding your short shifters after a bit of time has passed?

TomTom

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type S
They are now up for $19,99!

Search for "Lancer EVO Eclipse Short Throw Shifter 00-03 04-06" on ebay.com

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
and $25US for poatage!! So many times i've bought stuff where postage is more than the item.
Looks decent quality! Not sure the wife would like it :(

Top Bottom