Strengthening the automatic transmission on the cheap

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
is there anyone in sydney who can do this service other then meek? can anyone in sydney do this service for anywhere close to the $1200 the mob at mv autos have quoted? any sydney/central coast/newcastle owners had this done?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
is there anyone in sydney who can do this service other then meek? can anyone in sydney do this service for anywhere close to the $1200 the mob at mv autos have quoted? any sydney/central coast/newcastle owners had this done?

If you could find any trans shops that work on Mitsu's a lot, they would probably be fine seeing as the auto box is used in Veradas and other more common cars. I don't think they'd be able to charge you much more than that amount either. We got a little bit of discount due to a group buy, but if the workshop knows what it's doing then labour costs will be similar and that was the main part of the price.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....

Can I ask why you're looking at someone other than MEEK?
Location?

marc.r

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
marc
Drive
purple legnum
meek is about 1 hours drive from me in the eastern suburbs and last time I spoke to them they told me they send there transmissions elsewhere to have work done. I have done all my other work, timing belts, plugs leads, coil packs etc at meek and im sure they can get the job done through a subcontractor but why not cut out the middle man or at least shop around for some different options?

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
I'm fairly sure that Someone was saying that a place in parra had done some vr4's and even managed to get it done without dropping the gear box to save labour!

legnum600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jason s
Drive
2000 legnum
Yeah i took my legnum to Parramatta Automatics about 1 year ago, they replaced wave spring clutch packs & tig welded carrier pins. They did'nt even drop the box out & about 1 day to fix.

Nash

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Craig
Drive
1988 Honda CRX (Series 2)
1998 FL Legnum VR-4
2012 Kia Optima Platnum
Oh dear, went to replace my wave spring with a single piece unit and look what I found....

wave%20spring.jpg

It already had one... Doh!

Bit of advise for anyone doing this. When putting back together, put the planetary gear set in before the clutch packs..... You'll never line them up....

G

Unregistered
But it was worth it to find that out :)

Did you remove the valve body at all? If not, then that little black cylindrical seal on the right hand side of the pic is probably now damaged.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant

CUMSTI

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
2000 Legnum Wagon
Im losing 3rd on my second box. Car hasnt done 100 000 kms yet ... that will 8k just on the f ing transmission. Im just gonna go for a manual box i think.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
& Parramatta Automatics will strengthen the box for just over $1000, no way you should be blowing a 2nd auto box...

vr4cobra

1 AYC Bar
First Name
T-J
Drive
1996 Galant VR4
That sucks mate my rebuild cost me $3600 and 200 for replacement box when I shattered my first trans. How long ago was it rebuilt? Still under warranty for it? If not manual conversion will cost bout the same, cheaper if u do it urself and a lil more if mechanic to do it

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
I rang an automatic place today for getting the gearbox strengthened and was quoted $2000, said I was better off spending $3000 and getting a full rebuild...

He mentioned something about $880 for labor, but not sure if that was just to get the box removed, cause then he went on and talked about having to clean everything for resealing, and of course needing all new seals and gaskets etc.

Seemed a bit steep compared to whats been said in this thread,
About what would all the parts cost these days? The OP hasn't been updated for a few years

(I am in Brisbane and haven't noticed any places around here mentioned in this thread, I just rang a popular local one to begin with)

GavDaniels

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin Daniels
Drive
2006 Mercedes Benz ML320CDI

Previously Owned
1997 Legnum VR-4 Type S
2000 Galant VR-4 Type V (Race Car) (regretful sale)
Hey Guys,
Has anybody got any additional information in regards to the Pins / Bolts that need to be welded in place?
Maybe some pictures?
My Legnum is currently at TechSport. The Auto suddenly became noisy in second and third gears.
In first through to third it was really down on power, then once shifting into fourth the car was fine again.
Jeff has drained the fluid, and there does not appear to have any metallic parts in there.
I am trying to work out about rebuilding the one that is in there, or having a 2nd hand one installed. But if I go the 2nd hand route,
will want to check the wave spring and alike before it goes in.
Regards
Gavin

upshotbravo

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Trev
Drive
Mitsubishi Legnum VR4
Hi Guys, some investigating on my end indicates that MD974421 "liquid gasket, A/T" has been superseded by A990ZC1X02 ... this info may only be relevant for the North American market.

Top Bottom