Strengthening the automatic transmission on the cheap

marksanne

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Mark
Drive
1999 8G VR2 Galant & 1996 8G VR4 Galant
Great work!! I'd love to see a step-by-step guide which will help me to give it a try myself!

G

Unregistered
I prepared these diagrams for someone who got their transmission's brake discs/plates mixed up, so am putting them up here if case anyone else gets themselves into trouble and needs to refer to them.

BUT.. I strongly recommend that when you first remove these packs you immediately tape each pack up and mark the sides facing IN and OUT and note which pack they are. So that you don't have this headache.

exploded-view-53-54-55_sml.jpg
arrangement-53-54-55_sml.jpg
exploded-view-58_sml.jpg
arrangement-58_sml.jpg
exploded-view-60-61-62_sml.jpg
arrangement-60-61-62_sml.jpg
brake-disc-comparison_sml.jpg
legend.jpg

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
i reckon u r a legend. Just went to a hydraulics shop in Adel and bought the asterixed items over the counter for $2 total, now going to order the rest hopefully through Mitsi here, but if not NZ!

Query for anyone i have threebond liquid gasket used on Motorbikes - also very high temp and so forth - Could use instead of the liquid gasket on the list??

G

Unregistered
What is the number on the Threebond sealant you have? It may not be suitable for ATF.

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
will check out tonight on the 3bond. Spoke with Mitsi re the other parts and the guy said i need the vin no on my car for their system to make any sense of the codes in your list, then he reckons should be no worries. I have a Chasis number but no vin number yet, besides ordering through NZ any other possible work arounds?

G

Unregistered
Hi there,
Shock on gear change 2->3, can it be that wave spring as well?

G

Unregistered
Just heard back from Three Bond Australia and it looks like I was correct, although a bit of a bummer. So I'd love to know if people in the UK get the same response or can purchase it over the counter. If anyone is looking to do this procedure it might be worthwhile at least getting a price on a tube of 1207C from Bursons.

1281B is an OEM product only.
The alternative is 1207C which is available in 150 gram tube or a 330 gram cartridge.
This is available from Motospecs,Burson,Nason or Precision Engine Parts.
threebond1207C.jpg

G

Unregistered
Hi there,
Shock on gear change 2->3, can it be that wave spring as well?

It could be a number of things, the wave spring being one of them. If you haven't flushed the ATF lately with Mitsubishi SP3, give that a go then do an ECU reset and see if it helps.

G

Unregistered
And here's a comparison of the specs between the Three Bond 1207C and 1281B sealants.

threebond-comparison.jpg

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
Just spoken with Mitsi on Port RD Adel.
Wave Spring is $24.85 2-3 wks (ex Japan)
Oil seal, 2nd Brake... $14.15 2-3 wks (ex Japan)
Gasket A/t Valve body - no longer available - new part no MN168327 - this also has a bit that says see latest bulletin - unfortunately the bulletin is in Japanese. For liquid gasket gear he recommended Ultra blue from any cheap motorshop as what they use for everythng and less than half the price

G

Unregistered
Re-read this thread from the start before you attempt this job. Because you should have known all about the valve body gasket dilemma already if you have been doing your research here.

You can use whatever sealant you prefer. I have used the Permatex stuff on a manual gearbox before and I had to rip it apart again to fix the leaks so I will go with what the factory uses, because I know that works.

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
your right and will definitely be re-reading a few times before i take that crazy looking box apart and everything else. Your iligence and previous work much appreciated

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
Finally got there pg 11. So i'm not clear - the quote below is that u already found out what i did and courtesy of a talented linguist went further and translated the bulletin and now i can order, either the replacement part no MN168327 or the part number in yr shopping list on pg1 ending in a 5 rather than the 6. Forgive me have i almost got it?

So do you reckon there's a good chance of damaging the original gasket then? What was the price?

I just looked that up in ASA/CAPS and there is a bit of a mess, we need to figure out for sure what is going on.

Firstly it says that MR486686 is the old part number for the gasket, which has now been replaced by MN168327.

But there is a bulletin for old part number in Japanese that translates as:

That sounds a bit strange... but the missus is Japanese and she insists that's what it says.

Then is gets even more confusing, there is that there is also a replacement part number for the valve body, new one being 2800A012 (also listed as 28000A).

As part of that bulletin there's also a long list of vehicles it applies too, which includes Galant & Legnum, so it's not only directed at our cars.

G

Unregistered
When I asked about the price of the valve body gasket I quoted part number MR486686 and was told it was available.

G

Unregistered
I cant remember if i posted earlier but there is a new part number for the valve body gasket. i compared both gaskets and they looked the same maybe it is just a different type of material used

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
Hi got this back from Threebond, looks like my gear is no gd.

Good morning and thankyou for your enquiry 1104 is a synthetic rubber based gasket sealant designed for lower temp. applications. I suggest Threebond Super Sealer (SS1) for the transmission application or alternatively 1215 which is of a similar viscosity to the 1104 if this is desired.

These are both silcone based products more suited to automotive applications, with high resistance to transmission and engine oils and with a max temp. resistance of 250c as opposed to 1104 at 150c.
Regards,

Threebond Australia Branch.

G

Unregistered
Well that's odd and quite different from what they told me!

stormboy

Crunching Gears
First Name
Rata
Drive
01' Legnum, Jaguar S1
No doubt a third person will get another response again - not sure what i'm going with yet.

Early in the thread there is talk of welding the three screws in place, i'm tempted to follow theadvice when i get there andi can't really see any reason not to if anyone ever has to go to the trouble of taking it apart again i guess undoing a couple of spotwelds if necessary is no real problem. mm think i answered my own question anyone think of a compelling reason not to?

Top Bottom