This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Make sure the threads are correct and if so, you just need to push the ball arm up into the hub, it shouldn't need that much force to bite in there....

G

Unregistered
The problem is that the lock nut grabs the thread and turns the whole lot before it can tighten down, plus grease from inside the boot will lube the pin too. Make sure it's all totally clean of grease, both inside the hole and the pin. Putting pressure on it is the only way and it will work, I have done a lot of these. Tapping it up with a hammer (and block of wood between as a cushion) is usually useless as it just falls out again before you can tighten it. Have you taken the driveshafts out to do this job? If simply jacking it from underneath isn't working, then you are going to have to brace the knuckle from the top too with something like a piece of wood and temporarily rebolt the knuckle if that is all undone.

Jet6a13

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
Hey all, I did a search to no avail, I replaced my LCA's yesterday as they were completely shagged, though the noise is still there!

has anyone else experienced this? And if so is there anything else in our front ends that is notorious for making a "bowling pin being knocked over" sort of sound?

any help will be greatly appreciated!

xtech

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Ryan
Drive
Legnum
For me one of the two bolts which hold up my left side upper arm was not done up tight....

After checking every other moving thing up front it rattled me for months before I had a duh moment....

Black_Ice

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Aamir
Drive
WRX
Did you replace the c-shaped control arms as well??

Do you have coilovers?

Either one of the above may also be causing the sound...

Jet6a13

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Daniel
Drive
1998 Legnum VR4
No I don't have coilovers and I didn't replace the c-shaped control arm, I checked them and there was no perceivable movement, I'll check again soon when I fit my new wheels!

adriano

Idling at the Lights
First Name
adrian
Drive
starion
has anyone investigated replacing the ball joint itself, it must be pressed in, and i saw ntk(a bearing manufqcturer) stamped in the oem arm.

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
To The OP,
A little off topic but what size wheels are they?
Just realised you have Brembo's fitted and was curious..
Cheers
Steve

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
To The OP,
A little off topic but what size wheels are they?
Just realised you have Brembo's fitted and was curious..
Cheers
Steve

They look like Evo IX wheels, so 17x8 +38 (that doesn't mean that all 17x8 +38 wheels clear brembos though).

fuji_heavy

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Janne
Drive
Legnum
so my legnum is making a horrible creaking sound, much like the one in the video. guessing its the ball joints. so looking to replace them asap. is the best bet stil ordering from ralliart nz? i have two other cars avaible this week (so the legnum can be off the road) so would love it get it done before the end of the week. is there a local alternative to get the parts faster ? I'm in brisbane southside. also where would people recommemd taking the car to get them done ?

Roy

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Roy Repas
Drive
EC5W 99 and 98 (twin FLs), EC5A 96, E39A 89
whatever you do dont go to mosleys. I had a tie rod end done and well they did not check anything else.. steering still has a knock when driving side to side and having shift weight from left to right and back... My tie rod end is good and ow yeah I got coilovers at the front which the left one is leeking oil.. Chris said to change the lower control arms.. Would busted bushes for the sway bar make the same noise you think? Its like a sound of a rubber slip and then knock.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I'd go with genuine prior to getting somewhere else

also get a reputable workshop to install it for you..

it is easy to install, but also there's a proper way of installing it..

Blackbird

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2001 ADM Evo 6.5 Makinen Edition,
2001 Legnum VR-4 Type S Written off,
2000 Legnum VR-4 Type S Manual with 23,489km!!
LOL.. thanks.. found a set in excellent condition for $550 no tyres!!
Sorry for the threadjack.

Just got my Legnum last Friday and only noise I found was a Left hand Steering rack INNER Tie Rod End that has some play (At the rack end not wheel end).
These things able to be tightened or a replacement part? Much involved changing them? Never done one myself.. Remember a slide hammer being used,
Is there much to changing them?
LCA's are perfect!!

Cheers
Steve

Blackbird, as above ^^^

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Please let this be a reminder to all VR4 owners...

This is what happens when you have genuine replacement parts sitting in the shed and your time simply runs out.
(LCA failure and driveshaft pulled out).

Fortunately this weekend is a long weekend and Lathiat and I are going to see if we can get her drivable again. :-/

Attachments

• IMG_20140123_082258.jpg
    IMG_20140123_082258.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140123_082306.jpg
    IMG_20140123_082306.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20140123_082334.jpg
    IMG_20140123_082334.jpg
    307.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20140123_082348.jpg
    IMG_20140123_082348.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 101

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
Hope there is no serious damage. This needs to return

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Bout to start working on it, I suspect CV joint will be cactus at least but we'll see...

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Were there any warning signs that made you buy the replacements earlier? Or were you just a bit late with your preventative servicing?

Top Bottom