This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

AKKO

2 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Chris
Drive
1998 Galant VR4 Type-V (Facelift)
Oh shit, hope my ebay arms/ball-joints don't do that a few years from now! *second thoughts*

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think we need to check it every 1-2 years.. just then, my dad showed me how to check the ball joint's quality.. will add a guide here eventually..

swift5_8

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tomas
Drive
Current: Legnum, Datsun 260z x 3
Past: 180sx, gti-r sold R32 GTS4, 1972 Restored Celica
Wow, that is scarry! Could have been alot worse.

A guide on how to check controll armS and how to replace them would be awesome ( now i want to check mine ).

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Jeez Christian, you're lucky you didn't go into that wall there :O In fact, seeing only the first picture and not knowing anything else, that's what I'd suspect!

Good luck getting it fixed... got me worried now :(

legnum600

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jason s
Drive
2000 legnum
Very lucky this did'nt happen at high speed, i will get my ball joints looked at.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Thanks again fellas.. Car's parked now.. So I'm just waiting for when my days off come up..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Feck me!

Hmmm, I have a bit of a noise in my front end.... shivers....

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
For future reference: They are very easy to check.
1. You need to unload them by getting the wheel next to the joint you need to check off the ground.
2. By either using just your strength but ideally some sort of lever/pry bar try to move the control arm up and down+side to side. Making sure to check if the control arm side of the ball joint is moving.
3. If you can feel any notching and if there is any sort of free play in the actual ball joint it is time to replace them.
If the boot is split, it greatly reduces the life span of the ball joint by allowing dirt and contaminants to wear out the nylon socket.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
For future reference: They are very easy to check.
1. You need to unload them by getting the wheel next to the joint you need to check off the ground.
2. By either using just your strength but ideally some sort of lever/pry bar try to move the control arm up and down+side to side. Making sure to check if the control arm side of the ball joint is moving.
3. If you can feel any notching and if there is any sort of free play in the actual ball joint it is time to replace them.
If the boot is split, it greatly reduces the life span of the ball joint by allowing dirt and contaminants to wear out the nylon socket.

dude.. you've just written down what my dad said.. are you sure you 2 aren't talking?!?! lol..

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
Holy crap Christian, that could have been much worse. I'm glad it didn't end up more serious.

Good luck getting it all fixed up again

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Holy crap Christian, that could have been much worse. I'm glad it didn't end up more serious.

Good luck getting it all fixed up again

yeah.. shit happens.. it should be back on the road by next week.. :)

Mel-D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mel
Drive
2012 Ford Focus ST Manual,Tangerine. Evo 6 Blue manual.Had 2004 XR6 Falcon M11 Auto,Yellow GT stripes. 1999 Legnum Manual,White
That sucks Chris, glad your ok. It's a heart stopper when something like that happens.
I've been in a car when it did the same thing. We stoped at a busy intersection stop sign. And when there was a break in the traffic took off and went only about a foot when it happened. so we were lucky too cause there was heaps of cars comming. Definatly would of got hit if only half way thru.

wesleyong

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Wes
Drive
Lancer wagon 4G93T / 1999 Legnum VR-4
Crazy stuff man. +1 glad you're OK!
I changed my lower control arms a few months before I wrote my Legnum off.

I understand that there was a recall on the control arms for our cars, but the ones you had on that failed, they were bought aftermarket, right?

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
It only ever seems to happen at low speeds while turning sharply, which probably isn't a bad thing!

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
It only ever seems to happen at low speeds while turning sharply, which probably isn't a bad thing!

I'd honestly admit it if I was driving fast, but unfortunately I wasn't..

members from this site have been very helpful.. so thank you to those who have offered help :) looks like I'll have it back on the road, sooner than expected..

.. so to those people.. THANK YOU :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
ok, I've done some more investigation today and these are what me and Paulie found..

the threaded part had sheared off from the ball joint..
IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1014.jpg

IMG_1016.jpg

and this came out when we tapped the ball joint part a bit.. and when we took off the boot.. supposedly these are self lubricating ball joints.. I think it needs more lube..
IMG_1019.jpg

IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

and looks like I'll have to get my drive shaft re-done tomorrow.. will be taking it to CV Joint Australia.. should only cost me $50

and the damage on the guard seems ok, not as bad as I thought, I'll have to get my FL skirts installed sooner than expected...

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
That's about 1/2 of the powder that came out too. Nasty!

Top Bottom