This is what happens if you don't replace your control arms (or go aftermarket)

Abusive

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Justin
Drive
2000 Legnum
That's some serious long term deterioration there, nothing you could have really expected. I think you may just be VERY lucky that happened in the circumstances that it did occur in. As much as we love our cars they are all just metal whirling about at awesome speeds, and with so many fail points it's increadible this kinda thing doesn't all the time.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
A couple of us here are wondering about salt on the snowy roads in Japan now....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Surely that was noisy with the amount of pitting on it!

there was definitely some noise.. but I just didnt think it was with the ball joint as like I said previously.. whenever I spray some lube on the spring seat.. it goes away..

but hey, I've learnt my lesson.. :( just gotta take it a like a man lol..

firestarter

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Scott
Drive
93 HJ Galant V6 + 97 Legnum VR4
I have had this happen to me twice on my HJ Galant V6.

The first time (RHS) it made a pretty big mess to the guard, and pulled the axle out of the trans.
it must have broken while taking a corner, but didnt dislodge until approx 10m up the road.

The second time (LHS) it broke while taking a corner at slow speed. I beleive the axle only came
out of the hub this time, and damage to the guard was minimal.

i think just as much damage was done to the guard while getting the car onto the tow truck,
still quite unsure of the best way to get it onto the truck in this circumstance.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
From the looks of that pic.. Your ball joint had come off from the housing, mine snapped.. But regardless it's a scary thing to experience..

Btw did you know that there was a recall on these particular part?

firestarter

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Scott
Drive
93 HJ Galant V6 + 97 Legnum VR4
I became aware of the recall after the RHS broke. After a bunch of phone calls, Mitsubishi told me that they had been replaced on factory recall, which made me feel better. After that point, I had my mechanic check the joints out each service.

approx 18 months later the 2nd ball joint broke, the car was due for a service at the time. pity i didnt get it in earlier.
also regret that I didnt replace the LHS LCA after the RHS broke.. definately considered it a fair few times.

karl_2ltgc

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Karl
Drive
Galant
If you want to check these things out, jack the car up and steer the wheel around manually. If its all smooth and not noisy then its likely ok, peel back the ball joint boots and make sure its got grease and not rust in them. A little squeak from the rubbers is all you should hear when moving the wheel around. I just replaced a rack end yesterday on my HJ an it looks like a previous owner has put new lower control arms in(still have the mitsu sticker on them).

Also if you need the control arms hit up US ebay. They are cheap and the dollar is strong atm, 94-98USD is the same as HJ(7g) and I think 8g is the same.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Had a quick look over this thread but couldn't find the part numbers needed to replace these. I swear it was posted somewhere.

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET
yeh would be heckers if someone could post up some links to ebay auctions/sellers or throw some oem part numbers up?

smitty

Sm'arter than the aver'age bear...!
First Name
Alex
Drive
98 FL Galant Type S Manual, FG XR6, VY Acclaim, MQ Triton GLS
Christian for some reason i remember your car now having red bushes etc in the front end, but can't remember where I saw it...

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so will the above parts fits an 01 legnum?

yes.. suspension and driveline wise.. parts are all the same for PFL and FL.. except for the AYC pressure switch..

Christian for some reason i remember your car now having red bushes etc in the front end, but can't remember where I saw it...

the red bushes you remember is the ball joint boot for the upper control arm.. it is the SPC camber correction ball joint..

Top Bottom