Toyota FT-86

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I have no idea what they are saying but I like the look of these cars. Its nice that they will be making a manual version. That would be a bit of fun.

M0R81U5

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mick
Drive
PFL Legnum
I saw a white on the road in Port Melbourne when I was down there last Thursday.

Some demonstrators are starting to trickle into certain dealers, a relo of a guy I work with works at Toyota and has had one for a week or 2 as well.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Why does the AU brochure show the LHD version? they surely could use photos of the JDM release RHD, even if the features vary, surely it would look better being RHD

G

Unregistered
Why does it contradict itself, use crappy fonts and typesetting, consist of text as images and not have a spec sheet.. such things shall remain unexplained.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Looks like a lot of fun. Would be better if it had a turbo but I suppose you might be able to put an STI engine in it or something. Will be a nice car to buy second hand in a few years time.

king_panther

Gettin' tanked
First Name
Brad
Drive
2012 VW Caddy 1.6TDI 7-Speed DSG. Still crappy DSG.....
Looks like a lot of fun. Would be better if it had a turbo but I suppose you might be able to put an STI engine in it or something. Will be a nice car to buy second hand in a few years time.

Probably right. Hasn't one been twin-charged already?

I'm not sure the car can live up to the hype though. The buzz surrounding this car is getting a little wacky.

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
lol, a car for Honda lovers then? :)

Has there been any mention of its weight yet? I see rear has been altered again since I last saw it.

It won't drive like a VR-4, which may be a good thing, depending on what you like and where you do most of your driving.

Looking at where the peak power and torque figures are in the rev range, I'm guessing you will need revs, and lots of them. Not to mention lots of gear changes to keep it on the boil.

On a downhill section of twisty, empty roads, I imagine it to be a lot of fun.

In the 99% of driving that most of us do, I think it might be a little frustrating.

All specs, except for the luxury spec will be just under 1200kgs.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Whether you like the 86/brz or not, will depend on what you like about driving. Its not going to be blazingly fast, so people after a drag strip queen look elsewhere.
Its all about feeling this car, a perfectly weighted gear change, steering feel, balanced chassis, just right drivers seat position. The sorts of things you would expect in a porche, not a 40k Toyota.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
I believe it's the 'lack' of power which will make this car fun. You'll drive it closer to the limit more often, exploiting the handling vs making 180+awkw and having very little chance to unleash it upon the street.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
So, I'm seeing news that it's going to be called the GT-86 here?

The base model will be called the GT, the higher spec model (expect leather etc) will be the GTS.

lol, a car for Honda lovers then? :)

Has there been any mention of its weight yet? I see rear has been altered again since I last saw it.

Under 1200kg for all bar the GTS auto (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA auto 86 WTF).

I would kill for one of these. Those criticising the power and/or torque figure need to understand what an 86 is about. They're not intended to be straight line monsters or traffic light heroes. 86s are about balance and handling and a connection between the car and the driver. They're meant to encourage you to push harder and to really drive the car. Big power takes some of the fun of really pushing a car and trying to get the best out of yourself. To me, the 147kw figure sounds about perfect.

Eh, I dunno. Just drive a well sorted 4AGE AE86 and you'll understand.

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
The base model will be called the GT, the higher spec model (expect leather etc) will be the GTS.

Hahaha, because we don't already have a GTS in Australia. Is it just me or are car manufacturers becoming lazy with names for their cars?

Eh, I dunno. Just drive a well sorted 4AGE AE86 and you'll understand.

I so would if they weren't so damn rare to find in good condition and weren't so damn expensive.

ygoslo

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tim
Drive
91 Silvia, 97 Galant
I so would if they weren't so damn rare to find in good condition and weren't so damn expensive.

Agreed, AE86s are too expensive for what they are! I was lucky enough to find one cheap, and stupid enough to think that I would be able to build it without breaking my budget!

Tell you what - when I get a new motor, you can fly down and borrow the car for a couple of days to hit the Great Ocean Road. ;)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
Hahaha, don't even tempt me on it. I might just take you up on it some time :p

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
I miss my AE86 :(

And I want an FT-86 or FT-S or GT-86 or BRZ or whatever the hell it's called. I don't care what the badge says.

Top Bottom