Twin Turbo Upgrade for 6A13TT

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Well my aim is 450 whp, with supporting mods and stock turbo, I assume with 1,5 bar boost (max td03 turbo can be achieved) i am still believing it is not impossible. I am not chasing huge horse power. No E85 in my country the best is 100 ron (very exPensive) and 95 RON. I am counting on RON 95 + AEM WAI
I am not sure what "AEM WAI" is but unless it is NOS I cannot see how 450whp (=330kW atw) is possible with stock turbos.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Year 2000 EA5A => FL EC5A
I am not sure what "AEM WAI" is but unless it is NOS I cannot see how 450whp (=330kW atw) is possible with stock turbos.

I will try to find out about that, will it be possible after put the internal forged. Very curious to see that. If i can do it with stock turbo, why would i want to swap with td04?

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
I don't think you will get any higher then 250kw atw out of stock turbo's and that's with forged internals and aftermarket cams and Running e85

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I don't think you will get any higher then 250kw atw out of stock turbo's and that's with forged internals and aftermarket cams and Running e85
@TME_Steve car made around 220. Forged internals don't add any horsepower

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
Id go so far as to say my hi-flowed turbos would be struggling to reach 250. I have re-ground cams, cam gears and ported head.
I have a 12g wheel as opposed to the oem 7. A 30% increase in flow.

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Id go so far as to say my hi-flowed turbos would be struggling to reach 250. I have re-ground cams, cam gears and ported head.

I doubt this. Trotty got 230kw on stocks before heads lifted didn't he? You should have no problem with 250.

How did you calculate 30% anyway? What are the diameters of yours?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
We'll see i guess. i was at 227. trotty similar, twistedr32 similar.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
I have a 12g wheel as opposed to the oem 7. A 30% increase in flow.

Well Simon I need to know what is your maximum boost? and what is your supporting mods? how does it feel using 12g comp wheel? any significant improvement?

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
We'll see i guess. i was at 227. trotty similar, twistedr32 similar.

Hi Steve, is that using stock turbo? what the supporting mods? btw can i have the tuned rom? ha ha ha

just curious, any body ever reach 1,5 bar boost on stock td03?

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
Hi Steve, is that using stock turbo? what the supporting mods? btw can i have the tuned rom? ha ha ha

I believe Trotty has stock turbos
Full exhaust from turbo back including dump pipes
Hard pipe kit
Intake pipe
Intercooler
Custom y-pipe
And e85
Bigger fuel pump and injectors
Cop kit

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car

yes stock turbos. 300whp is a long long way from 450hp. to get to 450whp you'll want about 250hp (maybe 300hp) worth of nos or bigger turbo's. kudos for being ambitious though.

no you can't have the rom.

yeah you can get to 2bar on stock turbo's, makes no more power though and you can't hold it at higher rpm. i ran a peak of 22psi on mine in 2nd gear only. no way I'd push a customer car to that. i had way over 500nm in 2nd gear when referenced back to engine speed and bye bye head studs....

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
yes stock turbos. 300whp is a long long way from 450hp. to get to 450whp you'll want about 250hp (maybe 300hp) worth of nos or bigger turbo's. kudos for being ambitious though.

no you can't have the rom.

yeah you can get to 2bar on stock turbo's, makes no more power though and you can't hold it at higher rpm. i ran a peak of 22psi on mine in 2nd gear only. no way I'd push a customer car to that. i had way over 500nm in 2nd gear when referenced back to engine speed and bye bye head studs....

Great, thanks steve. I will take your comment as reference, will check again all of my opt i have

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
I believe Trotty has stock turbos
Full exhaust from turbo back including dump pipes
Hard pipe kit
Intake pipe
Intercooler
Custom y-pipe
And e85
Bigger fuel pump and injectors
Cop kit

interesting, with all that mods, i assume, he should gain power more than that

pretzil

2 AYC Bars
First Name
Rick
Drive
Legnum VR4
Why? It doesn't matter what mods you do, you are always limited to the maximum oxygen that the turbos can supply.
Even a fully forged and built 2JZ would have the same maximum engine power if the air had to pass thru our turbos. Once the boost pressure goes too high it adds no more oxygen, it just heats the air more.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
Why? It doesn't matter what mods you do, you are always limited to the maximum oxygen that the turbos can supply.
Even a fully forged and built 2JZ would have the same maximum engine power if the air had to pass thru our turbos. Once the boost pressure goes too high it adds no more oxygen, it just heats the air more.

I know, i tuned m/t stock engine once and try to push the td03 . but I stop at 1.3 bar due to boost spike and detonation. it took me years to prepare supporting mods to get into 1.5 bar + with stock turbo. i believe 1,5 bar boost is max boost td03 can handle. I need reference if td03 boost not enough to get the car into 450 whp (given modest support mods) then i need to discus whats wrong with my friend and what mods route decision should taken. stay with td03 or change the turbo + piping manifold completely.

Gav

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gav
Drive
Galant
interesting, with all that mods, i assume, he should gain power more than that
i highly doubt you will get 450hp at the wheels running stock td03's Even if you went td04s off a wrx I don't think you will get the power your chasing.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
i highly doubt you will get 450hp at the wheels running stock td03's Even if you went td04s off a wrx I don't think you will get the power your chasing.

OKay, then. I think we need comment also from steve @TME_Steve. based on your experience how much max stock td03 + piping can handle with modest supporting mods. what i mean with modest supporting mods is fine tuned ecu rom and you can push the engine without worry about detonation, boost spike, head list etc. I need at least your rough estimation.

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
One thing here is that we are all using turbos that aren't new. Serviced turbos will get better results. For instance turbos that have done over 200k's won't propably deliver 200 awkw. At least if there is a crappy intercooler. And one dyno pull has to be made very strictlyly so that there is no overboosting. Pushing td03 to 1.5 at torque region will just cause maximum power to fade. Td03's have their limits.

Comparing roms wouldn't help but it's clear that timing can maximal timing has to be tested in a dyno. Generally I wouldn't mind sharing my knowledge for the fact where we have have found the best timing to be with E85.

@jungle I'd love to hear more about porting heads. Have you covered it in your project diary? I'm still a bit uncertain of how they flow.

ersanalamin

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ersan Al Amin
Drive
One thing here is that we are all using turbos that aren't new. Serviced turbos will get better results. For instance turbos that have done over 200k's won't propably deliver 200 awkw. At least if there is a crappy intercooler. And one dyno pull has to be made very strictlyly so that there is no overboosting. Pushing td03 to 1.5 at torque region will just cause maximum power to fade. Td03's have their limits.

Comparing roms wouldn't help but it's clear that timing can maximal timing has to be tested in a dyno. Generally I wouldn't mind sharing my knowledge for the fact where we have have found the best timing to be with E85.

@jungle I'd love to hear more about porting heads. Have you covered it in your project diary? I'm still a bit uncertain of how they flow.

BTW lauri what is the best performance of your car in term of power using td04 set up? maximum boost?max power? and what are your supporting mods

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
Top Bottom