Vibration on idle - prize give away

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
Maza Astina 323, Merc C Kompressor
Hi guys
well, my car is suffering from severe vibration on idle.

Symptoms include
1. smoke from exhaust when i floor it
2. Heavy vibration on idle when car is on D and stationary
3. Uneven idling on P
4. my exhaust tip is getting black, fast.
Only mods i have is air filter and Exhaust.

Suspecting
1. Small battery? ( i have small one)
2. Needs tune-up? ( what is actually tune up do anyway)

Fuel copnsumption is about 12l/100k on highway and 14~15l/100km on city drive (average about 310km on empty lights)

It is getting worse slowly.
Any ideas?
yes.. Free Brand New 12' Pioneer Sub Woofer in the box for someone who can fix the problem~ planed to have two in my car, but only had one in.

jet150

Anyone thirsty?
Premium Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
VR4
Try new spark plugs and leads. When I had my laser TX3 my leads were stuffed and leaking spark which gave the car rough idle and smokey exhaust.

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Try new spark plugs and leads. When I had my laser TX3 my leads were stuffed and leaking spark which gave the car rough idle and smokey exhaust.
As above Jono, have you replace your plugs and leads? Also, you might want to clean your upper engine. Buy those upper engine cleaner from Subaru, they are very effective. I have been using this on my car every time I change oil. Speaking of oil, I am due ahehehe

Buckas

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dan
Drive
97 manual legnum
i was blowing a bit of smoke and just replaced o2 sensor, at the same time i put a bigger battery in than the jap one and smoke disappeared...

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
o2 sensor replaced and plugs done not while ago by some idiots few months ago (paid them like $300 just for labour) and guessing they only chnaged the fromt ones. So upsetting.
Plugs and leads and battery. sounds right. We shall find out soon. I am going away for a while to queensland next week. time to see Meek~

updates will be followed and will announce the prize winner pending on the result~

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Aside from what's already been suggested, check the fuel filter, injectors, air filter and engine mounts too.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
De-coke... Spray carby cleaner in your throttle body, put back together and kick her over :) (Thanks new REBOOT owner for that suggestion lol)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
i think its either

1. spark plugs.. need new ones
2. ground wire from the body to the engine, negative wire probably loose or worse not connected

3. o2 sensor.. but getting 12l/100km highway is about right.. and 14l/100km city driving would've been caused by the sparkies..

montgomery

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Chris
Drive
Mazda Familia GTR
Check your water level and check for Goo in your water/coolant.

It MAY be a head gasket problem.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
hope it is not head gasket~ i will cry if it is.

i have sent the e-mail to meeks yesterday, but still no reply. hmm

I will check the water level.

O2 sensor replaced not long ago. Have not done the belts yet. Is seems it is heading to premature ejec.. i mean 100k service

Peter_D

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Pete
Drive
Cab Colt & Evo 6
Take your air filter out and clean it. Check your intercooler pipes are firmly connected especially check the one under the air box. Get your hands on a spare coil pack and swap them one at a time and see if that makes any difference.

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
can anyone do those thing for me? like spark plugs and leads. will pay for the time and effort + case of beer.
edit: At night time, when i press the brakes the headlight dims a bit. small battery?

JediRuss

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Russ
Drive
'98 Legnum
'98 Toyota MR2 Turbo
Don't want to hijack your thread mate. But I think mine might be doing something similar.

It's a manual. But at fairly light throttle it seems to hesitate and stutter and if I floor it, it seems to choke...then puff out clouds like a diesel. Then clears itself and runs to redline.

That what happens for you?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Don't want to hijack your thread mate. But I think mine might be doing something similar.

It's a manual. But at fairly light throttle it seems to hesitate and stutter and if I floor it, it seems to choke...then puff out clouds like a diesel. Then clears itself and runs to redline.

That what happens for you?

does the hesitation occurs at around 2500rpm or higher?

if you haven't replaced your plugs.. this is the culprit..

if you have.. then you'll have to look further.. and what gap did you have on your spark plugs?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
can anyone do those thing for me? like spark plugs and leads. will pay for the time and effort + case of beer.
edit: At night time, when i press the brakes the headlight dims a bit. small battery?

possibly..

1. small battery, not providing enough current and keeping up with the charge?
2. dead alternator
3. what sound system do you have?

happymatch

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
jono
Drive
i have reasonably small system. two amps and not pumping hard. I will change the battery very soon and i think meek's is refusing my call.. so,, wait for it.. i will announce the winner soon

JediRuss

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Russ
Drive
'98 Legnum
'98 Toyota MR2 Turbo
It will rev cleanly if the clutch is fully enganged. But if I take the clutch up....as when pulling away...it stutters and if I don't put the clutch back in it will stall out. If I give it a rev and then keep it up there and ride the clutch out it will pull away. But at slight throttle it will still hesitate and puff like a diesel.

I tried an ECU reset on saturday. It seemed to run fine after that. But coming to work this morning it started playing up again. So I took the Verada instead.

Economy is all blowing out the exhaust...black marks above exhaust tip. Getting mad!

Top Bottom