VR4's & Police?

drmunroe

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Maly
Drive
Legnum
Sorry wasnt sure what section to post this but...

...was wondering what experience you guys have had with you VR4 attracting police attention in just regular driving.
I have friends with wrx's , evo's, etc (all the usual suspects) a they seem to get pulled over often.

Does your VR4 attract much unwanted (& potentially unwarranted) attention from our boys in blue?

drmunroe

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Maly
Drive
Legnum
SORRY - i just found the general discussion area after i posted ^ this!

edit: thread moved :)

96vr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
AJ
Drive
Legnum with twin GT25R upgrade.
Ive owned my vr4 for 8ish months and havnt been pulled up yet. The main reason they would is if it looked too low or was to loud

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Never been pulled over. Most attention I have had is a second curious glance but that's it.
Mine looks very stock though. Has a loud-ish exhaust and a front mount but nothing to attract too much attention.

G

Unregistered
Only ever been pulled over twics in 8 years,excluding RBT. Once was for no mirrors on a muddy trail bike with an exhaust with no baffles, the other time was a radar when I missed a speed sign and did 70 in a 60 zone. Never been looked at twice in the Legnum and only had a few curious glances in the R34 and the Evo. I would be amazed if a VR-4 ever got pulled over for being a VR-4, unless it was too low and too loud.

Bugz

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Sam
Drive
Trigger Manual Legume.. Couple of Rollas.
Generally not looked at, tho i got done recently cause the cop was a tard. Had no idea what the car was anyway.
But made exhaust noise and got wheel spin in my rwd galant...

Plus. You dont live in SA, you'll be fine!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Everyone around here just think my car is a riced out magna, so the cops dont take much notice.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Obviously paulie is too low and/or too loud.

Or else he's just special. :p

storm_detonation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
storm_detonation
Drive
2000 Silver VR4, Toyota Hilux
I've had the car for 6 months and not been pulled over yet. I was really worried when I first got it that the exhaust was way too loud but that was just me being paranoid, especially when you consider how loud some of the V8s are at idle.

mills_88

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Matt
Drive
Toyota Supra RZ - The Project
Holden Commodore SS VF Series 2 - The Daily
Have been pulled over in mine about once a year just for a "random check" but didn't get defected on any of those occasions amazingly. Always manage to talk my way out of it.

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
In four years I've only been pulled over once, and that might have had something to do with the fact that I was doing 118 in a 100 zone. :/

eyecandy

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Adam
Drive
Evo VII GSR
Wife got defected in mine for the rims sticking out of the guards and too much low :)

NuffNuff

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Damian
Drive
GTI, GTI, FL Manual Legnum VR4
had mine for 6 months, no issues. VTA next to a cop going onto the tullamarine freeway and he looked through my car and around to see what made the noise. the other night i had a unmarked car try to egg me on through the 9 roundabouts near my house but i just took it easy. spotted him a mile away. they are the ones to watch for..

drmunroe

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Maly
Drive
Legnum
the other night i had a unmarked car try to egg me on through the 9 roundabouts near my house but i just took it easy. spotted him a mile away. they are the ones to watch for..

i have a friend that drives a fairly stock looking classic shape wrexy get tail gated by an umarked car not too long ago. he kept changing lanes to let them pass but they were right on him.
They finally put their lights on & came out yelling "get out of the car get out of the car". one officer ripped the keys out of the ignition & kept yelling at him to get out. he was told to sit on the foot path & because he didnt move quickly enough the same officer put his leg out & tripped him over. they then detained him & searched his car without ever giving him a reason. I know this guy very well & he wasnt speeding or hooning or doing anything wrong at the time the police began following him...

i know there are real hoons out there that deserve to be pulled over (im quite against "hooning"), but when innocent people are subjected to treatment like that, it makes me nervous of owning what may be considered a "performance" car...

Just my thoughts :)

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Nope, only had curious and admiring glances. Then again, I don't drive around with "I love yellow stickers" plastered all over it :)

Inspite

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Inspite
Drive
2001 VR-4 Galant
Been pulled over once so far and only because I had forgotten to update the rego.... oops

I expected for them to give it the once over but they let me pay the rego on the mobile... asked a few questions about VR4's and let me go.

We have quite a few VR4's in SA now and he knew about the car but didn't realise it had twin turbos :)

cyber_scriber

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Bruce
Drive
2000 Galant; metallic dark blue; manual; Recaros; Momo steering wheel; and sunroof!
Have hardly ever been pulled over and neither will you if you keep it stock-ish looking.

The great thing is that most people don't know what the VR-4 is. Many think it's some kind of Magna!

Top Bottom