VR4's & Police?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Like a few people have said, avoid the hot spots like Saturday night cruising and known RBT locations and you'll be fine.

Lasiorhinus

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Stephen
Drive
White FL Legnum
Was pulled up once, in the 18 or so months Ive had the car.

Cop was querying the WA numberplates in the NT, nothing more.

PSI-S12

Crunching Gears
First Name
Will
Drive
Legnum/180SX/Silvia
I get pulled up at least once a month when I have my R34 GTR wheels on. Even a couple times without.
Defected twice for poke/stretch/height/noise. But that's just asking for it really.

CANDEE

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Jeremy
Drive
1998 Galant VR4
Ive only been pulled over because of a flat tyre that I was nursing to the local Firestone(2 k's away).

Mine is moderately loud but not low... Will be lower soon... :p

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
Obviously paulie is too low and/or too loud.

Or else he's just special. :p

His mum says he is special.......I believe Paulie lives next door to a police station and whenever they need lunch money they just set up a defect station on his driveway.

hozza

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Nathan
Drive
97 COTY manual legnum.(gone)
96 GTO MR
S13 silvia
I had my car sitting at 60mm from the front lip to the ground.
A decent amount of tyre poke, HID's, carbon bonnet.
Never been defected, during breathos nothing was said.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
f*ck dah police!

lol but seriously i do have crap luck :( wish they'd just target the crap cars and not ones that are decent. who am i hurting by having my cross member 50mm from the ground...

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
The council roadworker who has to repair all the divots your scraping arse digs ;)

Just kiddin' Pawwie!

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
I was thinking that the other day!I was behind a shitbox, trashed CRV with NO functioning brake or tail lights at all And thought, why aren't cars like this getting defected or taken off the road, like Paulie said, a little bit of low and having wider wheels than stock isn't going to hurt anyone...

VR4Rocket

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Kevin
Drive
Was a Ralliart Colt, was a 1997 Toyota Aristo was a 1996 Legnum..Now an XR5 Turbo
I usually find the lower I go the slower I go....they should lower everyone

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Five years of owning Loki, I've been pulled over once (excluding "booze bus" stops), and that out of pure curiosity in the first three months.

rasatouche

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Jack
Drive
2001 PROS Galant VR4
Havn't even owned my VR4 for two whole weeks, already got a canary tonight :(. I got off easy considering they were highway patrol and knew what they were looking for, at least the cop was really nice and let me off with it for tyres / HID lights (No self balancing / ballast :() with no fine, even though it could have been BOV, Pod & FMIC (Stupid Vic one intake mod, but eh, I should probably get a stock airbox to save future hassle, plus the pod sitting out in the middle of the engine bay is just a hot air vacuum , turbo timer, etc, and a $300 fine. Gotta look on the bright side I guess :(. That said the paint on my vr4 stands out a little bit...especially after a good clean hehe.

NOXQSZ

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pauly
Drive
Hopes n dreams
Got defected on the way home from purchase last long weekend. 6 hour drive, 15 minutes from home and bam. Thank you Sydney.

Revenue raising at its finest.

Defected for:

* Plumb back bov (All bovs are illegal says the officer)
* Boost gauge on a pillar
* Turbo timer

However only defect I was fined for was...drum roll please...

* Bald spare space saver - in the boot, not on the vehicle

Given 3 days to clear all defects. What a champ.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
Got defected on the way home from purchase last long weekend. 6 hour drive, 15 minutes from home and bam. Thank you Sydney.

Defected for:

* Turbo timer

I have no sympathy for bald tyre defects, on the car or not. Had you got a flat, you would have been screwed. Luckily they're all really easy to clear.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
BOVs are illegal huh. Better start defecting the vast majority of modern turbo petrol cars then...

Poita

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Peter
Drive
Legnum
Another guy on a power hike. Wonder how many old crap cars drove past full of rust with absolutely shot suspension and brakes while he was helping society by removing your very unsafe car from the road...

Rabit

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Robert
Drive
2000 Legnum Mint with 44589ks when I got it. Now with black leather seats. After 3 years of fun some terminal engine bay wiring issues raised their ugly heads and it died. I Now drive a 2002 Legnum and have retired the 2000 to spare parts duty.

Defected for:

* Turbo timer

How many cars do you see driving around with a GPS half way up the screen in the middle. The only legal place to have one is low down out of your line of vision in the right hand corner adjacent to the A pillar. Whats the difference between a GPS and a Boost gauge except that the GPS is much bigger. Its only Plumb back Bovs that are legal. Turbo timers are only illegal if you are using it and you hop out of your car and leave it unattended. Because our cars turbos are both oil and water cooled you don't really need one though. Lots of cars now come from the factory with no spare tyres, BMWs for instance.

dwarfmarine

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Cameron
Drive
Previous: Black PFL Legnum
Current: TD5 Land Rover Disco
How many cars do you see driving around with a GPS half way up the screen in the middle. The only legal place to have one is low down out of your line of vision in the right hand corner adjacent to the A pillar. Whats the difference between a GPS and a Boost gauge except that the GPS is much bigger. Its only Plumb back Bovs that are legal. Turbo timers are only illegal if you are using it and you hop out of your car and leave it unattended. Because our cars turbos are both oil and water cooled you don't really need one though.

Ive been told mixed things,
-gauges on a pillar are illegal.
- gauges on a pillar are legal provided they are mounted lower than the highest point of the dash..

In saying that, the cops that defected me didn't pick up on the boost gauge, pillar mounted (though is lower than the dash)

But yet you see people with GPS screen mounted just below the rear view mirror, or in the smack bang centre of the windscreen like you said.

Correct on the BOV and Turbo Timers though. (for NSW anyway)

Funny how they'd monitor/enforce the TT though, I believe Hilux Surfs came with a factory TT.

Top Bottom