VR4's & Police?

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Yeah turbo timers are a bit of a wank mod. Serves no real purpose. But they are just as irrelevant when it comes to road safety.

Here in SA it's illegal to have gauges mounted on the A pillar. It's totally contradictory when taxis have they entire dash covered in devices.

douwboy

Leaving Skid Marks
Premium Member
First Name
Joshua
Drive
2000 Legnum pearl white, manual, sunroof
I find it funny that most high end car alarms have turbo timers built into them.

NOXQSZ

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pauly
Drive
Hopes n dreams
I have no sympathy for bald tyre defects, on the car or not. Had you got a flat, you would have been screwed. Luckily they're all really easy to clear.

That's a laughable statement. My car has 18s on it. I'm not going to put a space saver on it, flat or not and that's what I informed the cop. I also showed him I hadn't even got the vehicle home yet, and as it was long weekend and workshops were closed (and me not being a mechanic or AIS employee) I wasn't sure of what's legal and what's not, so to fine me on that basis was not ethical.

A space saver is unsafe period, bald or not. If you want to get technical, assuming the size and offset difference didn't unbalance the vehicle alone at anything over 20kmph, unless you had wet weather technically the bald tyre will provide more grip then the one with tread. Larger surface on the road = more grip. The only point of tread on a tyre is to channel water. That being said. The tyre has 1mm of tread it didn't have wires sticking out.

Either way, all the defects were cleared and I'm no in the process of contacting to have the fine cancelled as per RTA instruction.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
My apologies, I was unaware of your wheel specifications (mustn't have got the memo, can you please add me to your mailing list) at the time of comment.

trotty

3 AYC Bars
First Name
Daniel Trotman
Drive
2000 vr4 Legnum 5 sp man
2006 Suzuki Swift Sport 5 sp man
in 7 months of owning my leggy i haven't even had a second look.....

NOXQSZ

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pauly
Drive
Hopes n dreams
My apologies, I was unaware of your wheel specifications (mustn't have got the memo, can you please add me to your mailing list) at the time of comment.

No problem. Added VR4Fairy@ozvr4.com as requested.

LOL jk. Either way, on the way home from purchase, pretty cold. Good welcome back to the import scene after a 3/4 year absence lol!

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Police have left me alone for my 4 years of VR4 ownership, until now. I was going about 100 in a 110 zone following behind a bunch of cars, pulled off to the exit into an 80 zone with 3 cars in front of me, after about 200m it changes back a 100 zone, so with about 50m left until the 100km zone starts the cars in front of me start to speed up to 100 and I follow behind just keeping pace.
And what do you know there is a patrol car sitting there just before the 100 zone, picked me out of the 3 cars and had me doing 102 in the 80 zone. I told him I was just keeping pace with the cars in front of me and not really watching my speedo, but he insisted that I sped up to catch the cars in front of me. I told him I knew it was no excuse and I should have been watching my speedo, so he went easy and only did me for 10 over the limit.
Still feel shitty for getting picked out of 3 cars, thought he would of gone for the clapped out commodore in front of me for sure.

aaron68nz

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Aaron
Drive
2001 Legnum series 3 manual
A space saver is unsafe period, bald or not. If you want to get technical, assuming the size and offset difference didn't unbalance the vehicle alone at anything over 20kmph, unless you had wet weather technically the bald tyre will provide more grip then the one with tread. Larger surface on the road = more grip. The only point of tread on a tyre is to channel water. That being said. The tyre has 1mm of tread it didn't have wires sticking out.
QUOTE]

I can vouch for this. I once spun out badly with a space saver on while navigating a mild sweeping corner at only about 50km/h in dry conditions. This was back in the day in the first generation VR4. And they can pop at sustained 100km/h ish motorway speeds as well as I also found out by experience in my days when I couldn't afford real tyres.

VOLK

Stabbin' technique!
First Name
Joey T
Drive
13 RA Lancer Hackzilla
Sounds like you were the only one out of the pack he could get a decent reading on fieldy. Compared to the speeds you could've been doing that we all know a tuned vr4 is capable of by simply rolling on in 5th a little too much...so I've heard...allegedly.

fieldy107

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Chris
Drive
Galant VR4
Yeah I was the last car. Oh well, Ive had a good run of not getting caught for many years now.

veegeeta

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
shane
Drive
fto with 6A13TT & bf xr6 turbo
^ Yep my good run was up on the weekend with a speeding fine too.

tails

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Taylor
Drive
'00 Galant
QUOTE]

I can vouch for this. I once spun out badly with a space saver on while navigating a mild sweeping corner at only about 50km/h in dry conditions. This was back in the day in the first generation VR4. And they can pop at sustained 100km/h ish motorway speeds as well as I also found out by experience in my days when I couldn't afford real tyres.

They're limited to 80km/h, I'm pretty sure it says so on the tyre.

NOXQSZ

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Pauly
Drive
Hopes n dreams
They're limited to 80km/h, I'm pretty sure it says so on the tyre.

Correct. Well for the Legnum spare anyway. Personally I'd rather get a tow home or replace with a full size spare. I would not trust that thing with or without the 18s currently on the vehicle. Again it all comes down to size and offset and in a powerful 4wd car such as the Leggy, it's just not worth the risk.

steveP

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Steve
Drive
VR4 Galant
Police have left me alone for my 4 years of VR4 ownership, until now. I was going about 100 in a 110 zone following behind a bunch of cars, pulled off to the exit into an 80 zone with 3 cars in front of me, after about 200m it changes back a 100 zone, so with about 50m left until the 100km zone starts the cars in front of me start to speed up to 100 and I follow behind just keeping pace.
And what do you know there is a patrol car sitting there just before the 100 zone, picked me out of the 3 cars and had me doing 102 in the 80 zone. I told him I was just keeping pace with the cars in front of me and not really watching my speedo, but he insisted that I sped up to catch the cars in front of me. I told him I knew it was no excuse and I should have been watching my speedo, so he went easy and only did me for 10 over the limit.
Still feel shitty for getting picked out of 3 cars, thought he would of gone for the clapped out commodore in front of me for sure.

I thought there was a buffer of 200m when the speed limit changes. Maybe that's just here in SA.

Razor

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Dale
Drive
'99 Galant VR-4
I thought there was a buffer of 200m when the speed limit changes. Maybe that's just here in SA.
In Victoria at least, you must be doing the posted speed as your front wheels pass the sign.
They took away all our leeway about four years ago.

That said, i have never seen an officer haunting a speed sign. I think they did it to remove ambiguity of the law.

Top Bottom