What oil to top up with when no amsoil is available?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Goodafternoon fellas. As the title explains, i'm looking to top up my oil with about 500ml to a litre of oil, but i haven't got any amsoil left.
I've currently got amsoil in the engine, but i'm looking at getting some oil this afternoon from Autobarn just to top up for now until my next service. What high quality oil do guys you recommend as a suitable top up?

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
if you're going to autobarn, get Gulf Western Sougi M 5000 otherwise just order the Amsoil from Lubrication Management and wait a couple of days.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Goodafternoon fellas. As the title explains, i'm looking to top up my oil with about 500ml to a litre of oil, but i haven't got any amsoil left.
I've currently got amsoil in the engine, but i'm looking at getting some oil this afternoon from Autobarn just to top up for now until my next service. What high quality oil do guys you recommend as a suitable top up?

I quite like the Fuchs GT1 i'm currently using in both cars.... Quietened the lifters SUBSTANCIALLY in the white car and REBOOT runs like a dream with it. I should've put it in the gearbox too i guess ;)

Its fully synth 5W/30 which might be a smidge light for summer over here but no dramas as of yet bro :)

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Sweet. Thanks fellas. The dilema i'm facing is i'm doing a service the week after next and for now i just want something in 1 litre form as the Gulf Western only comes in 5 litres. And i'd rather spend the dosh on a 5 litre of Amsoil but that's not until pay day!

Anything in 1 litre form like Shell Helix Ultra etc?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thanks man. The dilema i'm facing is i'm doing a service the week after next and for now i just want something in 1 litre form as the Gulf Western only comes in 5 litres. And i'd rather spend the dosh on a 5 litre of Amsoil but that's not until pay day!

Anything in 1 litre form like Shell Helix Ultra etc?

GT1 comes in a litre bottle man :)

titangt1a.jpg

matchtheclown

Time p33nt
First Name
hugh
Drive
99 VR-4 Type S Man
Why would you need to top up lie .5 > 1L ? That seems like a lot of oil.

Speaking of which I have amsoil on the way but probably need a top up to. I'm just above the low marker... I imagine it's 0.5 > 1L between low and full?

Hipsi

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Trav
Drive
D40 Navara
tee hee, sorry Dimi couldn't resist, lets get back on track.....

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
HAHA but they don't have 1 litre Gulf Western :(

Beat me to it.....

Don't get me wrong Trav, there is nothing wrong with GW oil apart from the fact it doesn't come in 1 litre bottles, which is what Dimi is after :)

Dimi bro, i dunno where in Sydney sells it. I get it from a mechanical hardware store up here...

You should be fine with any low weight fully synth oil, especially if its only for 2 weeks! :p

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
Hahaha well no one has Fuchs so how about Castrol Edge!?
I know it's no Amsoil, but Castrol is alright isn't it? Remember Tom's Castrol Supra? Hehe

pack_5w30.png

Castrol EDGE sport 5w-30

Castrol EDGE Sport 5W-30 is the essence for virtually all that’s modern and technically advanced. Castrol EDGE Sport 5W-30 is an advanced full synthetic high performance motor oil recommended for highly tuned four cylinder engines and the latest technology vehicles requiring a low viscosity oil.

e.g. Honda Civic, Honda Integra, Subaru WRX, Toyota Celica...

Customised to:
  • provide superb strength and ultimate protection even when running hard,
    fast or hot
  • go the distance! This oil has been tested to last in scorching turbo temperatures
  • provide outstanding protection fighting harmful deposits and other bi-products
  • help keep catalysts working efficiently
  • use synthetic technology to deliver improved performance over
    conventional oils
Or...

pack_10w60.png

Castrol EDGE sport 10w-60

This is a product designed for those who appreciate an extra level of power and performance. Castrol EDGE Sport 10W-60 is the vital ingredient in highly stressed competition engines, older sports cars and
luxury sedans.

This is a full synthetic lubricant designed for both road and race applications.

e.g. Ford Falcon, Holden Commodore, Nissan GTR Skyline, Toyota Supra...

Formulated to:
  • deliver maximum horsepower for up to 45% longer than competitor synthetic oils
  • deliver race proven power and performance for highly tuned, bad-to-the-bone competition engines
  • provide strength in reserve when pushing the limits
  • protect even when fast, hot or hard running
  • provide oil pressure control, reduced wear and extended engine life
  • use synthetic technology to deliver improved performance over conventional oils

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Go with the lighter one IMO....

Amsoil is 0W/30 lol, at least you'll be close to what you've already got in there!

gorgath

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Irwin
Drive
1997 Legnum RED!!!
Hey bro, I should get an answer later today or tomorrow.

Top Bottom