What oil to top up with when no amsoil is available?

G

Unregistered
The descrepancy in the manuals is interesting.

If the manual currently being translated is newer (it has to be), then maybe....... when Mitsubishi released the 6A13 they thought a 0w30 was an ideal viscosity. Until............ upon servicing the cars at the required intervals, Mitsubishi noticed that the lifters were extremely noisy and realised the oil was way too thin for their tolerances and therfore changed their recomendation to a more suitable 10w30 that actually protects the engine.

and I'm outta here............ :p

G

Unregistered
you guys have to remember this is factory grade oil........ most of your cars are not FACTORY anymore

this is not a fight about brand more about what viscosity is going to protect our motors in our environment again up to you guys to use and to see what is best suited for your driving style and car :)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Mitsi actually only say 5w30 or 10w30 in the manual, but 0w30's didn't really exist back in the mid 90's

0w30, 10w30, heck even straight 30 weight oil is ALL the same at operating temperature Darren, the first number signifies how well it flows when cold, and the lowest is always better for engine protection when cold.

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
so saying that you would be confident that amsoil 0w30 would be able to protect motors under high temps 120+ degs and under high stress and load ? you are confident that amsoil will protect a motor through 500,000 km ? you have tests ? wear cheaks ?
My car hasn't done enough kms after it's initial service yet to give you my PERSONAL findings. I can say I have seen fairly extensive tests on the product, though, comparing it to the best products from all the major brands. Upon achieving 5,000km after my full service I'll be getting oil analysis done by two labs, results will be posted on here.

the company with more synthetic lubrication experience than any other.? wow thats a big claim that i already know is a lie back up your claims before you post them up on a public forum
Hmmm... you 'know it's a lie', do you? See below...

what oil company are you referring too ?

i am not having a go we all want to know the truth not bias opinions
I find it interesting when people say something that's clearly inflammatory and then say 'I'm not having a go' when they clearly are...

Anyway, Amsoil have been making synthetic lubricants for motor vehicle use longer than any other company, thus more experience. In 1972 they had the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet American Petroleum Institute (API) criteria. I'm not making this stuff up mate, if you spent some time looking around the forums (particularly at the Amsoil dedicated thread I mentioned earlier) you'd find there's already a great deal of info available. People on forums don't exist to cater to your every whim, if you're truly interested you'll take the time to do some reading yourself, not expect everything to be handed to you on a platter and then flame people for their 'biased opinions' because they don't serve it up just the way you like it.

G

Unregistered
what's the cost of an oil analysis?

at $75 for 5L, and then an oil test on top of that, i'd rather just pay $50 and change my oil every 5,000km. guaranteed to be new oil then, not "good condition" older oil.

G

Unregistered
The descrepancy in the manuals is interesting.

If the manual currently being translated is newer (it has to be), then maybe....... when Mitsubishi released the 6A13 they thought a 0w30 was an ideal viscosity. Until............ upon servicing the cars at the required intervals, Mitsubishi noticed that the lifters were extremely noisy and realised the oil was way too thin for their tolerances and therfore changed their recomendation to a more suitable 10w30 that actually protects the engine on start up.

and I'm outta here............ :p

fixed....:)

Yeah I know Brad. My comments were merely tongue in cheek as there appears to be great debate on which oil is 'the best'.

For those who don't know, I have the answer..................

The best engine oil in the world is the one that is changed often.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
There will always be brand biased people, but what are the recommended weights? 10w30?

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
There will always be brand biased people, but what are the recommended weights? 10w30?

DUDE!!! Have a look on the last page lol..... I put a link in there to the Engine Oils thread for Casper :bigsmile:

G

Unregistered
Anyway, Amsoil have been making synthetic lubricants for motor vehicle use longer than any other company, thus more experience. In 1972 they had the first synthetic motor oil in the world to meet American Petroleum Institute (API) criteria. I'm not making this stuff up mate, if you spent some time looking around the forums (particularly at the Amsoil dedicated thread I mentioned earlier) you'd find there's already a great deal of info available. People on forums don't exist to cater to your every whim, if you're truly interested you'll take the time to do some reading yourself, not expect everything to be handed to you on a platter and then flame people for their 'biased opinions' because they don't serve it up just the way you like it.

all i need to say :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motul_(company)

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
uhh oh, they are a french company! I'm never buying anything motul again.

lololol

and thanks dude for the post back up there :)

SiliconAngel

1 AYC Bar
First Name
SA, Trevor
Drive
'99 Legnum VR4 Black MT
what's the cost of an oil analysis?

at $75 for 5L, and then an oil test on top of that, i'd rather just pay $50 and change my oil every 5,000km.
Indeed. This is why Amsoil offer free oil analysis for all their customers in the US for life. Sadly that is only the US, so in order to satisfy myself that the oil is doing it's job, I'll be paying for my own analysis. Assuming the oil is ok, it will still work out substantially cheaper, and I'll just gradually increase the duration between tests as time goes on.

guaranteed to be new oil then, not "good condition" older oil.
Well, sort of - if the oil you're using provides less lubrication and thus protection, you'll still be doing substantially more damage using your frequently changed oil than someone infrequently / never changing a superior oil that never breaks down.

A wikipedia page (the website that can be edited by anyone) with a single line of text with no reference is your idea of a valid argument? :confused: Besides the questionable nature of your reference source, even assuming it's true, it doesn't invalidate Amsoil's claim to have the oldest certified synthetic motor oil - your wiki page said Motul began producing fully synthetic motor oil in 1971. Amsoil had fully synthetic motor oil far earlier than that - it wasn't until 1972 however that they received API certification.

Quite apart from which, the entire argument obfuscates what we're really discussing - which is better? I don't care if a company has only been in the game two years if they have a clearly superior product.

G

Unregistered
lol... i KNOW my oil is doing just fine, and cheaper than amsoil.

my 33 did fine on compression and leakdown, and my leggy has done the same, so there is nothing wrong with the cheaper 'inferior' oil i use.

people can read all the test and internet hearsay they like, when it comes down to physical results, THEN you can rant and rave.

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
MY Question is Athid

"What recognised qualifications do you possess to be offering Technical Advice on Oils??"

I'd like to know, so that I can be assured I'm getting "sound technical advice"!!!!!!!

mookers

puri puri
First Name
Derek
Drive
CL9 Accord Euro Lux, GE Jazz VTi, Evil Supervillain Chair, Homemade Portable Square Drumkit
Can we ease up a bit on the hostility please? Trevor, your contributions and comments are invaluable to someone who wants to know about Amsoil (I'm using it at the moment, by the way). But it's almost like you're on a mission to convert us all. You don't need to defend your own choice to use it - if anyone gives you crap for choosing Amsoil I'll flame them myself (not sure I want to get in a flame war with Mitchy, but... :)).

But there are other products, sure they might be inferior, but people use them and their cars don't die. I think that having someone here like Athid, who works in the industry, is valuable as we might learn things we otherwise wouldn't know. Sure, it's up to us to decide if he's BS-ing us or has some other agenda, but that's each person's call to make. And I have not yet seen Athid try and force anyone to use Motul.

That's all.

Peace, love and bananas. Or something like that.
Derek

G

Unregistered
thanks Derek

but yes kitty as in "qualification" i have none but i am state rep for prominently the most used motorsport oil in the world, in getting this job i did not only get training in product but in "oils" in general

i am not bias there are plenty of other oil brands out there that are great products also
but as derek said at no piont have i said MOTUL IS THE BEST as i will leave up to you guys to decide if you choose to try it :)

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Thanks for the candid response Athid, will PM you next week regarding your recommendations on oils for use in oil bath air cleaner and moss gearbox in another vehicle.

Thanks

Top Bottom