What oil to top up with when no amsoil is available?

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
Wahoo,

I think we have a live wire here..... welcome..... interesting sales strategy!!!!!!!!

G

Unregistered

yes it's clear i work for motul but at NO time have i adverted my product :)

just to clear things up ...

Kitty's VR4

1 AYC Bar
Lifetime Member
First Name
Kat
Drive
Legnum, Audi RS6
PMSL

sorry but your intro certainly reads that way

"i am vic manager and we deal products some of you might know

MOTUL OILS, BMC airfilters, and nismo

i may be doing a few group buys on some oils in the future so look out for them"

Sorry, u have me at my weakest.... a lil pre-menstrual, Say what u mean and mean what u say......

again welcome to hardest target market you may ever encounter......

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
If that were the case here, I'd absolutely agree with you. But it's not - lifter noise elimination is a side-effect of a superior lubricant, not the primary benefit.

Agreed.
Whoa that was a super post Trev. Very good read though.

In short, the stats don't lie. And even though some of our guys are sceptics on the product, it's a superior motor oil.

I have two questions though;
  • What can Motul oil do that Amsoil can't?
  • And what are the price differences?
I used to use Motul oil and i would pay $117 per 5 litres from SSS Automotive. It was a good oil which would work hard overtime and still soldier on. Even 1000kms past the car's due service date.
But for Amsoil, we pay $115.50 for 5 litres, an oil filter and engine flush delivered to our door and i find the product very, very good. And for that price, i can't turn a blind eye on it.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Thanks Dawso

No worries man :)

Did you decide which oil you are going to use? There is a lot of posts in that thread but the point everyone is making is hidden deep down in there somewhere lol

G

Unregistered
Agreed.
Whoa that was a super post Trev. Very good read though.

In short, the stats don't lie. And even though some of our guys are sceptics on the product, it's a superior motor oil.

I have two questions though;
  • What can Motul oil do that Amsoil can't?
  • And what are the price differences?
I used to use Motul oil and i would pay $117 per 5 litres from SSS Automotive. It was a good oil which would work hard overtime and still soldier on. Even 1000kms past the car's due service date.
But for Amsoil, we pay $115.50 for 5 litres, an oil filter and engine flush delivered to our door and i find the product very, very good. And for that price, i can't turn a blind eye on it.

i pay $50 for 5L of motul turbolight, and about $10 for a filter..

i'd rather pay half of what you guys pay for amsoil, and change it twice as often if i was that worried.

i've also had my car over a year, changed oil every 5000km and recently had a compression and leakdown test done, and i have a very healthy 100,000km old engine..

so personally, i think amsoil (and its pricetag) can take a long walk off a short pier.

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
After reading this, all i can think of is the old Castrol ad - Oils ain't Oils :ROFLMAO:

G

Unregistered
group buys as i do on melbs15 to benifit to the club members that do use it or members that are willing to try it at a disscounted rate

at no point will i say motul is a Superior product it's up to the user to judge
again
:)

if the site needs to be sponsored then i will do so to advert

motul have 5 diffrent grades of oil you where most probably using our 300v range at that price where most of the benifits a common user would not see in day to day driving over any other conventional oil.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Mitsi do not recommend any xxw40 oil. They only recommend xxw30 in their manual for the VR-4. That means they want the oil to be a certain level of viscosity at operating temperature, which as Trev said above is governed by the cooling system.

0w30 is better than 5w30 or 10w30 for cold starts, it simply flows better. When I say cold starts I mean any start when the engine hasn't been running for a few hours, regardless of the ambient temp. Hence 0w30 is the best oil you can run in your VR-4.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Out of the Japanese Legnum Manual (including the VR4) is this graph:
Viscosities.jpg

With this note (translated from Jap to Eng):
Notes
1) engine oil viscosity of the outside temperature is appropriate to use
2) 4G9 engine 5W-30 for the factory is filled, 5W-30 to are recommended.

So as you can see, it clearly states that the oil viscosity (winter/summer) is varied with temperature, it does not state ONLY 30 summer weight. It recommends 5W-30 for the 4G9 engines, not the 6A1x engines.

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
Hmm ok, my manual is different to that then. Mine is an original manual from ~1996 and is obviously all in japanese

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Brad that was taken from the manual that JPNZ is presently translating. It was available on this site (6A13TT-JapaneseManual.rar) and is from the PDF #12 - engine lubrication. I would be interested to know which manual you have - seems odd there would be 2?

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
So in the end, after all that technical mumbo-jumbo.. what do people recommend?

I took my car in for a service at a performance shop, and they put Motul oils in.

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
New: 2006 BMW 335i M-Sport | Old: 2000 Galant VR4, MY04 STI WRX, 2009 Audi A4 2.7tdi
to be honest with you, i didnt notice much difference at all..

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
Lol.... This thread has gotten sooooooo out of control haha

Type in "worlds best engine oil" into Google. Amsoil comes up frequently :p

This coming from someone who doesn't use it haha

Tom

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Tom
Drive
Lol.... This thread has gotten sooooooo out of control haha

Type in "worlds best engine oil" into Google. Amsoil comes up frequently :p

This coming from someone who doesn't use it haha

Haha yeah but anyone who is good with SEO stuff can get product names to the top of alot of search engines multiple times :p

Casper

Crunching Gears
First Name
Lewis
Drive
2000 Legnum VR4 type S 4SALE!
I think bradc is right,if they say in the manual to use 0w30 then they should know better than us,they did build the engine so you cant go wrong!
Now its just a matter of witch oil brand?? Do they recomend any brand brad??

Top Bottom