Which spark plugs are really the best?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Well misfires now every time I go past 18.5 psi, and massive ones at that, I think I scared the crap out of some poor Hyundai owner when I nailed it on a speed limit change and accelerated like 19psi does for 1000RPM and then poured raw fuel out the exhaust when the miss occurred. the hyundai got lost in the resulting black cloud. Tomorrow the boost will be dropped to 18psi max as I don't think ignition cuts are the best thing in the world. We'll see how long it takes for the plugs to deteriorate so they blow out at that level....

Oh and Christian, Monday I can trial fit the Exo X coilpacks.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Well misfires now every time I go past 18.5 psi, and massive ones at that, I think I scared the crap out of some poor Hyundai owner when I nailed it on a speed limit change and accelerated like 19psi does for 1000RPM and then poured raw fuel out the exhaust when the miss occurred. the hyundai got lost in the resulting black cloud. Tomorrow the boost will be dropped to 18psi max as I don't think ignition cuts are the best thing in the world. We'll see how long it takes for the plugs to deteriorate so they blow out at that level....

Oh and Christian, Monday I can trial fit the Exo X coilpacks.

That would be awesome.. Are u just test fitting it or buying them?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
I'll test fit one, if it fits I'll buy one to test fit in the rear bank

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
How do they secure though Steve?
I didn't think the rear bank had any provisions for mounting coil packs.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Yeah I was wondering what we would do there too.... I was hoping Christian would have a good idea, but I am sure we can come up with some mounting method that will work.

And today, I wouldn't say it missed but it felt a bit not quite right at 16psi....

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I don't suppose you could fit another front rocker cover on the rear head? It will look weird but you cant see it anyway. That will give you somewhere to mount the coil packs.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Yeah I was wondering what we would do there too.... I was hoping Christian would have a good idea, but I am sure we can come up with some mounting method that will work.

And today, I wouldn't say it missed but it felt a bit not quite right at 16psi....

I'd secure it using the 3 bolts holding down the coker cover.. that bolt itself is quite long, enough to hold another 2-3mm of plate.. once all measurements are taken I/we should be able to mount the COP on the plate and secured using a nutsert..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Back on topic, my copper 7's are pharrrrrked. Now down to 16psi and starting to have misfires, that was what 2 weeks? so that's about 1500km and they are stuffed. So as soon as I get time (I'm now damn busy with some other things in my life) I'll put a set of 8's in....

Christian, sending you a PM on coil packs....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
so Coppers are no go..

but how does the evo owners manage to use the copper and last for quite a while?!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Copper 7's are no go, maybe 8s will be OK, which would suggest that 7 iridiums may be wrong also....

(Hopeful)

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
And evo's run 8s as well

Down to missing at 15.2psi.... So boost is now set at 14.5.... It's a slow car now :( It also surges around 1500-2000RPM at really light loads but I'm also playing with fuel AFR;s down there so it could be that too, I'll leave the fuel maps and change the plugs to find that out. I need to get 8's in it and I'll try to do it as soon as I can but it may be a couple of weks before I get the chance....

I think also as Rob suggested, once we sort out the heat range I'll probably try either the denso plugs with the platinum electrode and the iridium tip or the NGK Laser iridiums.

Also noticed their tips are thinner on the denso's which is theoretically a good thing.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
thought Denso's use actual Iridium tips.. rather than iridium dipped tips? like what NGK.. I dont know if these are facts, but I believe I read it somewhere..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
I'll research it before I get a set then....

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
From the research I did:
Denso IK series iridium tip only equivalent to NGK IX's
Denso VK series iridium tip and centre electrode (iridium welded on not dipped I believe on the tip, not sure on the centre electrode)
NGK laser iridiums, iridium tip, platinum centre electrode.

Bennoz

Petrol Sniffer
First Name
Ben
Drive
Mitsubishi FTO
The fellas that tuned my car only use Platinum. They reckon the Iridiums are rubbish, so they put NGK Platinums in, gapped at 0.7mm. Good for 250 front wheel killerwasps.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Denso VK22 are Iridium Electrode and Platinum Ground

where as

NGK BKR7EIX, it's only got the Iridium Electrode and standard(?!?) ground probably why it melts too quickly..

G

Unregistered
how about denso plugs? from denso catalogue it says that VK22 is our alternative for the BKR7EIX

or VK20 for the BKR6EIX

I'm gonna order about 3 sets.. anyone else want some?

Chris - did you order these? VK20 or VK22? I'm keen for a set of VK22 so if you have a spare set pm me

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Even at 14 psi the coppers are starting to play up, not so much a big blowout miss but like a on off hesitation, barely perceptible but it's there.... I just need time to change them....

Top Bottom