Which spark plugs are really the best?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Ok the copper 7's are well and truly toast, the car feels pretty ordinary and won't idle smoothly on cold startup every time now, so I have a set of copper 6's to try now, 8's next. That shall probably conclude my little test and by then in will go some denso Vk22 or 20 or 24 or whatever is the right range along with Christians new essential COP system. I hope 22's work out to be the best as that's what I have coming to me :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
I think the VK22 would be ideal for ours cause if I cross reference that with NGK... it is the replacement for BKR7EIX and BKR8EIX..

so it must be good.. and the evo guys over in asia (Philippines mainly) swears that ever since they've used Denso Iridiums, they never used a different brand..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
but do you get 20's or 22's? And we had a bit of a family crisis on the weekend so I haven't got the new plugs in yet. Next weekend hopefully.

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
I'll come up and hand you tools if you like Steve, oh yeah, and give you your parts.....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
They don't last forever, just buy 3 sets of four anyway....

And Rob, sounds like a plan....

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
Just let me know when and where then Steve.

I am half expecting my plugs to start failing by the time I get home, if not before.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I wouldn't be surprised if my plugs are already crap.. gonna pull it out tomorrow afternoon..

Paulie! you up for this?

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Has anyone else looked at BKR6EQUP?

this is used forthe Porsche which surprisingly uses the same diameter and length as ours.. good thing about this is, its platinum and it uses quad electrodes so the lifespan of the plug should double or triple.. not sure on the gap whether its 1.1mm or .8mm..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
OK so I (finally) got the new copper 6's in. They're not quite as good as the 7's were new, I can run 18psi of boost and 90% of the time there are no issues, but of the remaining time, 9% I get slight missing over 17psi (probably 1 cylinder) and I have had 1 big miss (more like 3 or more cylinders).

Weird thing is, the old copper 7's look fine, a bit powdery but no real erosion, in much better condition that the iridiums were but they (the coppers) were running like crap, surging at light loads, especially 1500 to 2000RPM and missing at even 14psi, but they don't look bad at all. Appearances can be deceiving it seems, I'll post some pics up later but at 2:30 this morning after changing the plugs I wasn't in the mood (another story for another thread)

At this stage, the 7's seem (Slightly) better in that they could hold big boost all the time, but that only lasted a day and then they went downhill, so we'll see how these go over the next little while.

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

this is used forthe Porsche which surprisingly uses the same diameter and length as ours.. good thing about this is, its platinum and it uses quad electrodes so the lifespan of the plug should double or triple.. not sure on the gap whether its 1.1mm or .8mm..

But iridium is stronger than platinum.... Can you get a laser iridium version?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
So in 2 days, again the plugs have already started to deteriorate, I would say half the times it goes over 17.5psi it misfires now. If nothing else it shows that iridium EIX plugs crap all over copper. What it doesn't tell me is 6 or 7 better, they both seemed OK the first day and both went downhill from there.

It's probably going to nee a set of irisium 6's compared with iridium 7's, a lot of people say oh my 6's started missing so i put 7's in and then they were better biut this is often old vs new, I don't know of anyone who put in 6's with already high boost (over 15psi) and checked how they went out. So, if I had all the time and patience in the world I would be doing just that but there is this thing called coil on plug and I want it. so that is probably me out although i'll try different plugs with it but with that system I'd guess it will be all the more forgiving....

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
I don't mean to sound condescending to anyone, but the heat range you choose doesn't just rely on your MAX boost pressure, but more to the way you drive. If you Max say 17psi a couple of times a day of course your plugs are gonna foul and start to miss. If you run a colder range plug you need to be driving that car HARD a lot of the time otherwise they will foul.
Gapping side of things, have you guys who run larger boost ever run the 7eix gapped to .65? I think this would help your missing. I'm about to do another major on a legnum that runs 15psi OCCASIONALLY so I'll but the 6EIX in at .7 and let you know if I get any complaints.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I don't mean to sound condescending to anyone, but the heat range you choose doesn't just rely on your MAX boost pressure, but more to the way you drive. If you Max say 17psi a couple of times a day of course your plugs are gonna foul and start to miss. If you run a colder range plug you need to be driving that car HARD a lot of the time otherwise they will foul.
Gapping side of things, have you guys who run larger boost ever run the 7eix gapped to .65? I think this would help your missing. I'm about to do another major on a legnum that runs 15psi OCCASIONALLY so I'll but the 6EIX in at .7 and let you know if I get any complaints.

my dad also suggested using the 6EIX.. you 2 think alike.. I'm contemplating if I should also buy the VK20Y (gapped at .8mm)

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
i gap mine to .7 and they're 7EIX (i think)

(i actually hav coppers in the front, but thats another story)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
i gap mine to .7 and they're 7EIX (i think)

(i actually hav coppers in the front, but thats another story)

my previous 7EIX were gapped at .8mm and after 40k kms they were shit.. my car was like a subaru after every take off..

G

Unregistered
So put the Denso VK22 in yesterday (whilst changing lifters) - already feels much smoother than the 7EIX gapped at 0.8 I took out which had about 50K on them, electrodes on the NGK's didn't look too bad though. Must also have fixed a boost leak somewhere along the line as managed to hit somewhere close to 20psi for a fraction before I backed off - no missing though. Will let you know how they go after a while once I have set the boost back to 15psi

Jimmy_EC5W

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
James
Drive
1998 Pearl White Legnum, Atlas Grey VN SS
So has anyone come to a complete conclusion with plugs?

Whats better?

6/7EIX or VK22/VK20?

sn00ze

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
zach
Drive
N15DET

I'll look into this at work today and try to find out the gap.. Could be looking tasty though:)

Top Bottom