Which spark plugs are really the best?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Just to revive the thread, I'm running coil on plug with IK22's and they've beein now for about 20000km without a problem, whether it's the plugs or the COP who knows but they've outlasted the 7's with the old packs.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
once I receive MY COPS, i'll stick my VK22's in and hopefully I dont ever have to open it up til next major service..

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
Hey lads I'm just in the process of doing the lifters and belt. So I purchased some bk7eix for the rear bank and was told to use a copper 7 for the front. But when a mechanic mate was helping with the belt he said you should never mix copper and iridium. Said one bank will run hotter than the other. Just my 2 cents. Oh and he also said can we use a evo plug, I think it was 7 es ??

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
I wouldn't mix and match plugs, why not just get all the same?

jimslick

Crunching Gears
First Name
jim
Drive
99 vr4
I guess if they don't fit you can't use them..... And I will buy the same f/r plugs, it was just bloody hard getting th eix plugs

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
I guess if they don't fit you can't use them..... And I will buy the same f/r plugs, it was just bloody hard getting th eix plugs

they do fit.. just that the evo's use projected insulator opposed to ours being a typical spark plug..

here's a breakdown of our plugs

BK = 14mm Thread Diameter
R = Resistor type
6 = Heat Range (Stock)
E= 19mm Thread Length

whatever code comes after the first 5 is up to you.. below are your choices

IX = Iridium Center Electrode / Standard Ground Electrode
IX-P = Iridium Center Electrode / Platinum Ground Electrode
QP = 4 Ground Electrodes / Platinum Center Electrodes (QUP is used by BMW's)

I reckon.. stuff it.. there's too many things to remember.. so I'll stick with Denso.. the only 2 things you need to remember.. the type (IK or VK) and the heat range (20 or 22) = WIN!

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Matt :)
Drive
1963 Toyota Lite-Stout & 2007 Toyota Blade Master G
Dragging this thread up again, are we able to use the QP plugs in our cars and would there be any benefit, especially at the higher boost ranges?

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
if it can fit it should work but I think denso are better anyway.

Oh and platinum is not as good as iridium so....

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
just make sure the overall length from the end of the threaded part to the spark ground electrode tip are the same..

.. knowing that, you know it wont foul on the piston

..also why is it that i read in so many 'googled pages' that iridiums sucks compared to platinum?

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Yeah, ok.. The other stuff I've been reading is the VK22s are pretty good? What about the IK ones (Iridium Racing)?

I was reading your troubles in this thread Steve and what you describe happening under load at high boost is exactly what's happening to me, although normal driving seems good enough.

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
Yeah, ok.. The other stuff I've been reading is the VK22s are pretty good? What about the IK ones (Iridium Racing)?

I was reading your troubles in this thread Steve and what you describe happening under load at high boost is exactly what's happening to me, although normal driving seems good enough.

1. goodluck in getting the Denso Iridium Racing - I believe they cost like $250+
2. how long have you had your plugs for? if its about 30k kms just before the tune.. then its stuffed.. go and replace it mine crapped itself at 40k kms..

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
Christian, on platinum vs iridium, when I was having trouble I had people say iridium were crap anf I should only use copper. The ngk iridiums lasted me 17k or something, the coppers started deteriorating in 1k, a couple of days (subjected to big boost mind you). The fact is platinum is miles better than copper or zinc in terms of melting point and iridium is miles better than platium. That is why iridium can be a finer tip giving a more consistent point for the spark to arc.

My ik22's have lasted 35k so far albeit with cop but I think theyre just about due (had a minor miss a little while ago).

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

Your plugs and engine are sick of each other... Vk are excellent, iridium tip, platinum electrode, ik range is good, Iridium tip,zinc electrode. Both run 0.4mm tip vs ngk running 0.6mm

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Yeah I know I've gotta change 'em all, just working out which ones I want now :)

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
you want the vk22's they last alot longer than the IK22's

on Denso's website

IK22 last for 50-60k kms
VK22 lasts for 100k kms..

which one would you go for?

unfortunately, I've ran out of both..

Nitephyre

Flaccid Member
Lifetime Member
First Name
Drive
Yeah I'm pretty sold on the VK22s. This is what my No.1 (oil cap) one looks like. Gap is still 0.8:

2012-02-11 10.39.39.jpg
2012-02-11 10.40.44.jpg
2012-02-11 10.43.07.jpg

2012-02-11 10.41.26.jpg

Top Bottom