14psi and 185kW

jungle

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Simon
Drive
1 PFL & 1 FL Legnum
I agree, thats a great result. My new engine made 175kW on 15psi at ~4300rpm before we reduced the boost back to 12psi. 15 would have seen around the 200kW mark if it kept the gain it had over 12psi.

mbilal

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Bilal
Drive
Galant VR4 99 Type V
I had mine tuned at Vic dyno day and saw peak at 115kw, very dissappointed but was told I had a boost leak somewhere, spent money on a HDI intercooler kit, got the ECU flashed and the magical numbers is 181kw at 14psi.
ECU flash cost around 1000 and the IC kit + install, roughly another 1000 and together with a service, inc spark plugs, I must say is the best 2k I have spent ever, the car is a beast, she is very punchy, yet drivable. If I wanted to push it at 15 or 16 psi, I was told to get a boost controller and aim for 195 - 200 max on stock turbos and internals.
But I am very happy with the result and would recommend ECU flash to anyone that can get it done on their car. its the best bang for your buck.

JUSTCRUZN

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
michael
Drive
98 Legnum VR4
My legnum has upgraded front mount/piping, 3inch catback exhaust with hiflow cat and a K&N panel filter (car not tuned). It made 185kwatw on 10psi, so with a good tune I should hit over 200kwatw?

lateshow

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Lauri
Drive
TD04 Galant (Type-V)
I have been tuning and seen results in several vr4:s here in Finland. There seems to be one common rule. Auto's knock more than manuals. Basic rule is that under heavy load ignition has to be taken 2-5 steps back to prevent the harmful knockin. But in some cases (manual transmission) only 0-2 steps will do the trick (Boost is around 0.9-1.1 bar) How can this be? Fuel is just perfect, goes with 11.5:1 ratio under heavy load. But to think of it: 5 steps retarded ignition from stock-> a very lazy car. Here is a link to some of my logs. It seems we are getting the knock mostly commonly at 4000rpm. I haven't listened my own car with earphones yet but they seems to knock less than the knock sum says. If you get 1-2 knock you hear nothing... I'm using a better and bigger FMIC, RPW downpipe, self made 3" exhaust and a k&n panel. Other vr4:s have a similar setup.

Could one reason be bad ignition? I am using plugs with 6-heat value (or what the correct word is) and its jerking a bit now with heavy loads. One reason could be faulty engine mounts as the engine "hits wall" every time you lift the gas pedal, dont know. Heres a link to one of my logs. http://users.tkk.fi/~lylirost/vr4/EvoScanDataLog_2011.02.19_16.51.34.csv

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
hey merlin you sound like the man were bouts in nsw are you exactly i wouldn't mind trekking it down there to you shop, got a house in shepparton i can camp in, running avcr boost controller, full hard piping with an r33 gtr front mount and fuji legalis r type evolution exaust would love a tune

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
I had mine tuned at Vic dyno day and saw peak at 115kw, very dissappointed but was told I had a boost leak somewhere, spent money on a HDI intercooler kit, got the ECU flashed and the magical numbers is 181kw at 14psi.
ECU flash cost around 1000 and the IC kit + install, roughly another 1000 and together with a service, inc spark plugs, I must say is the best 2k I have spent ever, the car is a beast, she is very punchy, yet drivable. If I wanted to push it at 15 or 16 psi, I was told to get a boost controller and aim for 195 - 200 max on stock turbos and internals.
But I am very happy with the result and would recommend ECU flash to anyone that can get it done on their car. its the best bang for your buck.
Hey mate who did the flash for you, noticed u are in vic. i cant find anyone apart from Dr Drift did he do it for u ?

thaitanium

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Phi
Drive
VR4 Galant
Hey was wondering whats the max psi i can push on a 6a13 before it blows up ^^..... with upgrade IC and ECU

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
Hang on Paul, I put more boost in your car than that down low ;)

Beyond 4500RPM there is no point past 14 psi with stock turbos and that's with the best IC and exhaust etc you can get. Maybe water or water/meth injection might help beyond that but I haven't done one of these with it yet....

The stock solenoid can Map boost vs RPM like in Paul's car or a good EBC like an Eboost2 etc that can map boost vs RPM will mean you can run more boost down low.

Reviewing this thread I am starting to get annoyed with dyno numbers, my car made 211kW and it now makes at least the same and reads 188kw on another dyno.... That said the numbers both dyno owners told me to use as a conversion for flywheel power correlate....

Sorry to clarify all that, beyond those levels you don't see any performance gain as you just start heating the air up, sure you can run more but it won't get you anywahere faster (and not for as long either ;) )

thaitanium

Idling at the Lights
First Name
Phi
Drive
VR4 Galant
yea was thinkin of a twin trubo conversion down to a single gt35r.... then i would be pushin alot harder right....

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
2010 nt did pajero tow car / 2000 6spd gc8 wrx tarmac rally car / 2000 Manual Subaru Outback 2.5 just a car
If you do it right, you don't need more boost to get more flow though, and flow is what you care about.... Do a search, you'll find plenty of info on single vs twins and other turbo options etc

naughtika

OzVR4 Stalker
First Name
Christian
Drive
'96 Galant VR4, '17 MB A180, '25 Macan GTS
Hey was wondering whats the max psi i can push on a 6a13 before it blows up ^^..... with upgrade IC and ECU

bud, I suggest you read around first before throwing up this question.. it's been covered before, it'll be a long read but at least after that you'll be knowledgeable like everyone else :)

Macca

Showing some Leg.
First Name
Craig 'Macca' Mclean
Drive
2000 Mitsubishi Legnum Type S
And it saves annoying everyone too. If you really don't want to search, put your question in the officially to lazy to search thread.

unclepaulie

hellatemplate ;)
Lifetime Member
First Name
Paul
Drive
hairdresser spec lancer coupe
Hang on Paul, I put more boost in your car than that down low ;)

Beyond 4500RPM there is no point past 14 psi with stock turbos and that's with the best IC and exhaust etc you can get. Maybe water or water/meth injection might help beyond that but I haven't done one of these with it yet....

The stock solenoid can Map boost vs RPM like in Paul's car or a good EBC like an Eboost2 etc that can map boost vs RPM will mean you can run more boost down low.

Reviewing this thread I am starting to get annoyed with dyno numbers, my car made 211kW and it now makes at least the same and reads 188kw on another dyno.... That said the numbers both dyno owners told me to use as a conversion for flywheel power correlate....

Sorry to clarify all that, beyond those levels you don't see any performance gain as you just start heating the air up, sure you can run more but it won't get you anywahere faster (and not for as long either ;) )

i was speaking in generalities lol, that 20psi run was awesome though

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive

wendnarb

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Ben
Drive
1998 VR4 legnum
Mines at around 17.5... Will hold it fairly well but does drop off at higher rpm... Steve if you know how to tune and use eboost2 to it's full potential then I think I need to chat to you! Haha im not using any fancy features on mine and I want too!!

TME_Steve

3 AYC Bars
Lifetime Member
First Name
Steve
Drive
PM me your number I'll give you a call....

noony

Hesitantly Boosting
First Name
Paul
Drive
Black 99 FL
Did an interesting tune today, VR4 Legnum with an aftermarket intercooler and the red silicone plumbing.

Starting from stock, at 7psi and stock maps, gave 135kW.
Finished at 14psi tailing off to 12psi, produced a solid and reasonably flat 185kW.
From memory (frequently faulty) a stock Evo9 makes about the same, so this Leggy pulled pretty well.

The limiting factor turned out to be the intercooler, which basically enforced a boost limit of 14psi, after that the air must have been roasting. I am sure I've had better results with the HDi intercooler though.

Pretty sure this is the car I just bought yesterday...fits the tune description perfectly and the red silicone hoses etc...
assuming it was a black legnum...
Sorry for the old thread, I realize this was way back in February.

Top Bottom