14psi without tranny cooler. Safe?

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
I'm getting my PWR transmission cooler delivered in two weeks time, but for now i quite enjoy the higher boost level.
How safe is 13-14psi on our cars without a tranny cooler?

G

Unregistered
atleast mine died putting out power, not granny driving like everyone else who had theirs rebuilt. ;)

bradc

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Brad
Drive
Facelift Manual 400hp VR-4 Legnum
They do just die for whatever reason whenever they feel like it. I doubt that one week of 14psi is going to kill it if it wasn't going to die already.

BuzzPuppy

OZVR4 Ambassador
Lifetime Member
First Name
Gavin
Drive
レグナム Super VR-4
Fine for me as well. No death to the gearbox and not granny driving :)

chrisssss

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
krsta
Drive
99' s2 manual legnum vr4
about that transmission cooler does it make a notable difference on an auto trip tronic. bought my leggy as a cruizer but like to play some times but i don't want to blow anything up

pu-11-me

and put an LSD in it
First Name
Dawso
Drive
VW Touareg
about that transmission cooler does it make a notable difference on an auto trip tronic. bought my leggy as a cruizer but like to play some times but i don't want to blow anything up

Put one on if you don't want to cook your gearbox... Its a must in Oz :)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Supplied & fitted by most trans shops will be in the reigon of $300, however you can buy a kit and fit it yourself for <$100 ;) Look for the DIY in the guides and writeups section

dimi_108

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Dimi
Drive
NSX/Magna/M5
With an aftermarket oil cooler fitted, once the transmission fluid has warmed up to the right operating temperature, you'll notice gear changes are much smoother. Especially during spirited driving.

My transmission oil cooler is quite large. It takes a tad bit longer in the morning for the transmission fluid to warm up and gear changes to become smooth, so I tend to use tiptronic for the first five to ten minutes, then slot it into D once it's running nice and warm.

The best thing about a transmission oil cooler is peace of mind knowing that your gearbox is not recieving over-cooked transmission fluid.

A transmission oil cooler will set you back just under $130 and an hour of your spare time to install.

Top Bottom