Auto Trans fix Group Buy - MV Automatics

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Hi Guys,

I'll be looking to take our leggy through to Mike and see what he can do. I wonder if he would do a further discounted price if the auto box was taken in on its own? Would obviously save a good few hours labour..

Btw i'll post in the new members thread so people know who I am in a sec :p

Tim.

Hi Tim, welcome. I don't know if he'd give you a discounted rate but he would charge you for less labour hours in the first place, so there would still be a considerable saving I'd guess. If you like I will ask when I drop my car in on Monday?

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Well the remove & replace component is around 10 hours labour i believe, at $88/hr, this should save you the best part of $880 of the $1400... but best speak to Mike. I dont think he would apply discount if he isnt doing the remove/replace but you can always ask

Jonson

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Jon
Drive
MY15 X MR
The labour is where workshops make their money, so don't expect a discount if they are losing 1/2 of their income.
also, I still have these rear main seals that I need picked up. Can "temptation" please call me on 0423032920 so we can arrange something as they need to be paid for.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Got the car back this morning, hurray! Upshifting is a lot quicker and more solid feeling, I find myself using tip just to take advantage of the lovely shifts. For the fellow who was interested in the down-shifts they seem slightly improved in the time they take although not to the degree of the up-shifts. If you were getting the shift kit just for a way faster 3 - 2 down-shift then you would be a little disappointed, but overall the shifts are faster, sharper and firmer, especially when you give it a squirt.

G

Unregistered
Sounds like a job well done Tom.. and what was the status of your old wave spring?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ahhh crap I forgot to ask. I will call up tomorrow and have a quick word with Mike to find out how things were, I was in quite a rush to get to uni when I picked the car up!

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Sounds like a job well done Tom.. and what was the status of your old wave spring?

Just had a chat with Barry down at M V who was one of the guys working on the car. He said that the wave spring was actually still together and in reasonable nick, the trans looked quite clean other than the oldish fluid and the only thing he could spot was that the clutch for second was a bit dusty. He put that down to the car making reasonable power. Lee will enjoy this - he mentioned that he had one in a week prior with a whole bunch of pricey looking mods, but suspected after driving both of them that mine was putting out more power at the wheels haha! I think his seat-of-pant-o-meter might be a little rusty!

EDIT: He also mentioned that the planetary sets are becoming exceedingly difficult to find as lots of the Magnas that go to wreckers are often there BECAUSE of the stuffed transmission, so they can't take parts from them. So if yours are still in working order then it's probably a good time to get them welded in so you don't have to wait and pay through the teeth later on if things go bang.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Boost controller was set to 0, so only waste gate pressure of 7psi ;)
sorry to disappoint you there Tom :lol:

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Ohhh that makes a lot more sense! :p Mine's at about 11psi although its a cheap MBC so it spikes like a bitch, hard to say. I guess he's not as out of it as I suspected hah

G

Unregistered
It would be interesting to know whether it was the dodgy wave spring still hanging in there, or the stronger one that you had :)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think that they told Lee that he had a solid wavespring, to me Barry simply said that it was in-tact so I'd presume it was the original that luckily was holding together.

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Sorry guys, its been a while I know. Just a update, the car is already been in and finished. And it was a solid wave spring in there. In terms of the shift kit, can't really feel the difference.

And interesting thing is that, since the trannies is out, the atf would be gone too. So I asked Mike what did you filll it up with..He said something like valvoline T(something, I forgot).

I remembered clearly that Kat said " Always use DIAMOND QUEEN". Any 2cents?

How is it all going for you guys?

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
I think that since then people have realised that there are some other SPIII fluids that will do the job just as well. Mine's going fine! The trans is still a bit sharper than it was and the shifts are firmer. Also the cold starts are better but thats probably just down to nice new fluid.

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Nothing wrong with it JJ. everyone says you must use SPIII because it is the SPIII formulation that needs to be met (or bettered). In the past, Amsoil was the only fluid that seemed to better this specification, however now Valvoline make a trans fluid that is too the SPIII formulation. This was mikes response when I questioned him about the trans fluid he would use, so its exactly the same as putting SPIII in your trans.

SO dont worry, MV knew exactly what they were doing. (unlike some other cowboy mechanics/auto shops that put generic TransMax ATF in ;) )

Temptation

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
JJ
Drive
VR4
Nothing wrong with it JJ. everyone says you must use SPIII because it is the SPIII formulation that needs to be met (or bettered). In the past, Amsoil was the only fluid that seemed to better this specification, however now Valvoline make a trans fluid that is too the SPIII formulation. This was mikes response when I questioned him about the trans fluid he would use, so its exactly the same as putting SPIII in your trans.

SO dont worry, MV knew exactly what they were doing. (unlike some other cowboy mechanics/auto shops that put generic TransMax ATF in ;) )

ahh...sweeet then...thanks lee. I was just a concern =)

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
Yeah they offered me mine on the tuesday arvo but my cash hadn't cleared in my bank so wasn't much help! Good luck

Top Bottom