Auto Trans fix Group Buy - MV Automatics

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Knew they would get quicker by the 4th car. My car was 2.5 days, yours is 1.5 - nice! :)

Steve, yes that *may* have been @ a northern auto workshop :tongue_smilie:

eddyvr4

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Eddy
Drive
2001 Legnum Type S, 2007 Kawasaki ZX14
Thanks Tom, i may need to organise a ride along with you or someone else with the kit sometime to see how the tip shifts compare to mine..

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
Wow! Its Sooo much better. First is definetly noticeable and even if you are just coasting along the change from 3rd to 4th can be undetectable. Its somehow fixed my idle problem whatever they did and sounds good too! Money well spent, even for the piece of mind.

Didnt get much trans information out of him though even when i wrote it down but i do know that for my "OLD" vr4, the wave spring only broke in one place.

Would reccomend them to anyone once again! =)

Hotwire

1 AYC Bar
Premium Member
First Name
Lee
Drive
97 COTY
Glad to hear that others are happy with their cars too.

Eddy, if you want to catch up and go for a drive one lunch time let me know - can pop back into the city to pick you up no worries.

G

Unregistered
Can anyone help defining the process of tig welding the pins in place to a novice? I can tig weld but not exactly sure of what i need to do and how to get to it. Cheers.

G

Unregistered
These are the three pins that are being welded in place. You just need to ensure that they are correctly tightened, then neatly weld the heads to the planetary carrier face.

If necessary, grind/dremel the welds back to ensure they don't foul on the planetary reverse sun gear. You can see an example of the quality of welds required on the three curved slots between each pin.

It might sound obvious, but remove the planetary carrier from the transmission to do the welding. It has to come off in order to reach & inspect the wave spring anyway.

planetary-carrier.jpg

triggs

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
Mathew
Drive
Trigger Mauve 1996 VR-4 Galant
Hey just wondering if anyone had noticed something with thier trans and gear changes. I have noticed that when you back your foot off the accelerator just before a gear change, that it shifts alot smoother and quicker. It eliminates that little issue from 3rd to 4th.
The car doesnt jerk or anything while doing this but was wondering if this is bad for the car if i was to continue doing this.

smedsvr4

Crunching Gears
First Name
josh
Drive
1996 Galant vr4
hey guys im gonna be takin my galant upto to mv automatics in the next few wks to get that $1400 done to my car, just wondering if its worth getting external trans cooler as well???

twisted32

Leaving Skid Marks
Lifetime Member
First Name
Rob
Drive
2000 Type S Leggy (toy)
NW Pajero (daily)
That is a no brainer.

Yes if you want it to last.

Slinz

1 AYC Bar
First Name
Tom
Drive
Grubby Nissan
As above you probably should have done that already, especially here in Adelaide. There's a good guide in the how-to's if you want to tackle it yourself - I can't comprehend anything mechanical but I managed to do it fine.

ASH STEEVO

Leaving Skid Marks
First Name
VR4PLAY aka ASH
Drive
1999 Legnum Type S - VR4PLAY
WHOAH!... this looks like what imin for... as ive now got 2 legnums and both auto trans dont feel 100%.
where is MV Automatics??
and there still a group by going on?? im keen.

Top Bottom